Post: The Unsuccessful Prototype That Became Super Mario Bros. 2
04-04-2011, 01:50 AM #1
Kush Friendly
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Vertical Platforming
Source: You must login or register to view this content. // By: 420 // April 3rd, 2011.

The very beloved Super Mario Brothers 2 came about through an experimental idea. Nintendo was playing around with a concept which they called 'vertical platforming'.

Kensuke Tanabe, Donkey Kong Country Returns producer and Super Mario Bros. 2 director , stated,"The idea was that you would have people vertically ascending, and you would have items and blocks that you could pile up to go higher, or you could grab your friend that you were playing with and throw them to try and continue to ascend. The game was mocked up (so that) when the player climbed about two-thirds of the way up the screen, it would scroll so that the player was pushed further down."

This technology was followed up by a problematic prototype: the problem being the lack of fun. Shigeru Miyamoto said that adding the traditional Mario-style side-scrolling would change things up. Eventually, this concept began to develop into Super Mario Bros 2. Tanabe said, "Picking up blocks was the same thing as pulling out vegetables from the ground." This vertical platforming concept was released in a game called Yume Kojo: Doki Doki Panic. While that game was still in development, Fuji Television made a deal with Nintendo. Fuji now had Nintendo's permission to release a game featuring characters for the Yume Kojo technology expo.

Lastly, the format was converted from Famicom Disk System to Cartridge for Western release. However, Nintendo did a couple of tweaks on it's own to the final release. Tanabe stated,"We knew these Fuji TV characters wouldn't be popular in America, but what would be attractive in America would be the Mario characters." With that, Super Mario Brothers 2 was released. I found this very interesting because it was a childhood game of mine, and I never knew this before.

Yume Kojo : Doki Doki Panic

You must login or register to view this content.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21M1AQq1HRs]YouTube - Doki Doki Panic game play[/ame]

Super Mario Brothers 2

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrL3Jc0isF0]YouTube - Super Mario Brothers 2[/ame]

----------------------------------------

Comparison

It was clever of Nintendo changing the characters. In my opinion, it was a genius marketing idea as it worked so well. The two games are strikingly similar, but that little change of characters made a huge difference.
Last edited by 420 ; 04-04-2011 at 01:52 AM.
04-04-2011, 01:55 AM #2
AgentDragonPig
BLoODz-DrAgOn
lol. Marketing Tricks FTW
04-04-2011, 02:04 AM #3
lol Doki Doki sounds Awesome!

The following 2 users say thank you to Sigma for this useful post:

theguywhoownsx, xiNCePTiOnZz---
04-04-2011, 05:12 AM #4
xMurphyBoiix
❶❸❸❼
LMAO Super Mario Was the Shit Happy

The following user thanked xMurphyBoiix for this useful post:

File-Loader
04-04-2011, 05:14 AM #5
HtD
Dark Knight
I saw and article on this in '05. The game is shorter than Super Mario Bros 2.
04-05-2011, 04:23 AM #6
hmmm heard somewhere that Nintendo stole super mario bro 2. Now I know whats really up
04-05-2011, 05:46 AM #7
Pichu
RIP PICHU.
... They need to make another Yoshi Island Adventure.... For the PS3.
04-05-2011, 06:11 AM #8
Originally posted by Disabled View Post
... They need to make another Yoshi Island Adventure.... For the PS3.

can i have my 50k download now
04-05-2011, 09:39 PM #9
tisurame
Pokemon Trainer
I really think the Super Mario 2 USA is better than Super Mario 1.
04-05-2011, 09:59 PM #10
Never knew that

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo