08-25-2010, 03:40 AM #1
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Hi guys, This is my Introduction to Cydia thread for all the people having trouble with cydia on thier iPods/iPhones.
[multipage=Launching Cydia for the First Time]
Launching Cydia for the very first time

Cydia is very easy to use and manage. If you know how to use App Store, you’ll have no difficulties with Cydia. The first time you launch Cydia, you’ll be asked to select the type of filter:

1. User (Graphical Only)
2. Hacker (+Command Line)
3. Developer (No filter)

For normal users, you can just set the filter to “User”. With this setting, Cydia will filter out those applications in which you’re not interested.

You must login or register to view this content. You must login or register to view this content.

Followed by the filter setting, you may be prompted to upgrade some essential packages. Just go ahead and upgrade it. This makes sure you’re using the latest version of Cydia.
[multipage=A Glance at Cydia]
A Glance at Cydia

Let’s have a quick glance at Cydia's interface. Cydia offers an intuitive interface for you to manage application packages:
You must login or register to view this content. You must login or register to view this content.
Home – The home screen shows the latest news from Cydia. You’ll also find featured packages, source information, user guides and other developer-related information here.
Sections – You can find all the available applications and download them here. Application packages are organized into specific categories.
Changes – “Changes” shows you the latest releases available and also alerts you for any application upgrades.
Manage – Keep track with all your installed packages. You can use “Manage” to upgrade / uninstall packages. Also, it's the place to add/remove Cydia source (will cover more later on).
Search – Search for applications in Cydia
[multipage=How to Install an Application in Cydia]
How to install an application in Cydia

So, how do you install an application using Cydia? It's pretty straightforward.

1. First, locate the application package. Say, the illumine weather icon for Winterboard.
2. Just tap “Install” button and then tap “Confirm” to confirm the installation.
3. Cydia will then download the package & install it automatically.

[multipage=How to upgrade/uninstall an application in Cydia]
How to upgrade/uninstall an application in Cydia
As said, all installed packages can be found under “Manage”. To upgrade/uninstall an application,

1. Tap “Manage” and then “Packages”.
2. Select the package you want to uninstall or upgrade.
3. Tap “Modify” and then “Remove” to uninstall the application package. If an upgrade is available, Cydia will also show you with an “Upgrade” option. Just tap on to upgrade the application.

You must login or register to view this content.
[multipage=How to add repository source in Cydia]
How to add repository source in Cydia
Applications on Cydia are hosted by different repositories. From time to time, you may need to add new repositories onto Cydia. Say, you find a new repository URL (e.g. ispaziorepo.com) which provides great themes, and you want to install those themes. To make those themes available on Cydia, you have to install the repository first.
As long as you know the repository URL, adding a new repository is very easy.

1. Tap “Manage”
2. Then tap “Source”
3. Tap “Edit” and then “Add”
4. Type in the repository URL and tap “Add Source”

That’s it. Cydia will then look up the URL and retrieve any applications available from the new repository.

Cydia, by default, comes with a list of package sources (i.e. repository). You can find them in the Home screen of Cydia. Just tap on anyone of them and install.

You can also go to the list of sources post and add some right You must login or register to view this content.
[multipage=Top Cydia apps]
Top Cydia apps
1. Winterboard

Winterboard is the ‘control’ app for the way your iPhone looks and sounds, once you’ve installed Winterboard, you can then go back in to Cydia and choose from the plethora of themes that range from Lock Screens, to wallpapers to soundsets.
Upon installing these themes, you won’t actually notice anything, until you go back in to Winterboard and ‘tick’ the themes ACTIVE. On hitting the home screen, the Springboard will freeze and then restart, and your new theme settings will be active.

Some cool themes include:

Bluebird
Matte Nano
Matte UI Graphite
Gradiance V3

2. MxTube
You must login or register to view this content. You must login or register to view this content. You must login or register to view this content.
Simply put, MxTube is YouTube with the ability to download videos for offline viewing. This is great because it downloads the high quality streams and plays back at a higher quality than the iPhone’s native YouTube app.

3. Make It Mine

Make It Mine allows you to change the carrier name (or remove it totally). It also lets you change the clock to read anything else you want it to.

4. SBSettings

What is SBSettings? Its a HUD interface that’s available from any screen that also displays the status bar at the top; thus almost all applications. To activate the HUD you simply swipe your finger across the status bar, left or right, or even down from it. The HUD will then smoothly slide from the top of the screen to give you lots of information and toggles.

As well as giving basic information about your phone (IP Addresses, memory usage, free space), you can configure which toggles you want to display, and other developers can write their own toggles that interface with it. It also acts pretty much like Windows Task Manager.

5. Installous

You must login or register to view this content. You must login or register to view this content. You must login or register to view this content.

I'll make this one brief: Installous is like the App Store, except everything is free! Smile For a TUT on how to get Installous Click You must login or register to view this content.

6. Stack

Stack adds a quick launch menu to your dock, giving rapid access to your favorite apps.

7. Android Lock

Android lock is basically the lock interface the android has. Instead of typing in some numbers to unlock your iPod, you draw a pattern (that you make) to unlock it.

8. 5x5 Icons and dock.

For 5x5 icons, download:

Five Icon Dock
Five-Column Springboard
FiveIRows.

[multipage=Conclusion.]
And that concludes this guide. Hope it helped you. Smile
Any feedback on how I can improve this guide is appreciated.
Last edited by Infinity ; 08-27-2010 at 09:01 AM.

The following 8 users say thank you to Infinity for this useful post:

AMB, dcons9, MarijuanaBlunts, S10, Saint Jimmy, whipmaster47, wiseguy48, zakaria
08-25-2010, 06:16 AM #2
S10
TROLLN 1337
Nice tutorial! Way to help out people new to the jailbreaking community...

Also there is a YouTube crack that lets you download videos(just like MXTube) on the actual youtube app...Its on the sinful repo.
08-25-2010, 06:17 AM #3
Saint Jimmy
And don't wear it out.
Good tutorial, should be great for new jailbreakers.
Just glancing over, I don't think you mentioned the source you need to add in order to get Installous?

Otherwise great =D
08-25-2010, 07:06 AM #4
Originally posted by Tuxedo View Post
Good tutorial, should be great for new jailbreakers.
Just glancing over, I don't think you mentioned the source you need to add in order to get Installous?

Otherwise great =D

Thanks guys Smile Uhm I'll just add the link to the sticky for the tut on how to get installous Smile
08-26-2010, 12:59 AM #5
ImTheBabyKicker
Cheeaa Negros Cool Man (aka Tustin) MBO
Originally posted by Infinity View Post
Thanks guys Smile Uhm I'll just add the link to the sticky for the tut on how to get installous Smile

should be stickied! nice job man. mustve taken a long time

---------- Post added at 08:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

Originally posted by Infinity View Post
Hi guys, This is my Introduction to Cydia thread for all the people having trouble with cydia on thier iPods/iPhones.

Launching Cydia for the very first time

Cydia is very easy to use and manage. If you know how to use App Store, you’ll have no difficulties with Cydia. The first time you launch Cydia, you’ll be asked to select the type of filter:

1. User (Graphical Only)
2. Hacker (+Command Line)
3. Developer (No filter)

For normal users, you can just set the filter to “User”. With this setting, Cydia will filter out those applications in which you’re not interested.

Followed by the filter setting, you may be prompted to upgrade some essential packages. Just go ahead and upgrade it. This makes sure you’re using the latest version of Cydia.

A Glance at Cydia

Let’s have a quick glance at Cydia's interface. Cydia offers an intuitive interface for you to manage application packages:
Home – The home screen shows the latest news from Cydia. You’ll also find featured packages, source information, user guides and other developer-related information here.
Sections – You can find all the available applications and download them here. Application packages are organized into specific categories.
Changes – “Changes” shows you the latest releases available and also alerts you for any application upgrades.
Manage – Keep track with all your installed packages. You can use “Manage” to upgrade / uninstall packages. Also, it's the place to add/remove Cydia source (will cover more later on).
Search – Search for applications in Cydia

How to install an application in Cydia

So, how do you install an application using Cydia? It's pretty straightforward.

1. First, locate the application package. Say, the illumine weather icon for Winterboard.
2. Just tap “Install” button and then tap “Confirm” to confirm the installation.
3. Cydia will then download the package & install it automatically.

How to upgrade/uninstall an application in Cydia
As said, all installed packages can be found under “Manage”. To upgrade/uninstall an application,

1. Tap “Manage” and then “Packages”.
2. Select the package you want to uninstall or upgrade.
3. Tap “Modify” and then “Remove” to uninstall the application package. If an upgrade is available, Cydia will also show you with an “Upgrade” option. Just tap on to upgrade the application.

How to add repository source in Cydia
Applications on Cydia are hosted by different repositories. From time to time, you may need to add new repositories onto Cydia. Say, you find a new repository URL (e.g. ispaziorepo.com) which provides great themes, and you want to install those themes. To make those themes available on Cydia, you have to install the repository first.
As long as you know the repository URL, adding a new repository is very easy.

1. Tap “Manage”
2. Then tap “Source”
3. Tap “Edit” and then “Add”
4. Type in the repository URL and tap “Add Source”

That’s it. Cydia will then look up the URL and retrieve any applications available from the new repository.

Cydia, by default, comes with a list of package sources (i.e. repository). You can find them in the Home screen of Cydia. Just tap on anyone of them and install.

You can also go to the list of sources post and add some right You must login or register to view this content.

Top Cydia apps
1. Winterboard

Winterboard is the ‘control’ app for the way your iPhone looks and sounds, once you’ve installed Winterboard, you can then go back in to Cydia and choose from the plethora of themes that range from Lock Screens, to wallpapers to soundsets.
Upon installing these themes, you won’t actually notice anything, until you go back in to Winterboard and ‘tick’ the themes ACTIVE. On hitting the home screen, the Springboard will freeze and then restart, and your new theme settings will be active.

Some cool themes include:

Bluebird
Matte Nano
Matte UI Graphite
Gradiance V3

2. MxTube
Simply put, MxTube is YouTube with the ability to download videos for offline viewing. This is great because it downloads the high quality streams and plays back at a higher quality than the iPhone’s native YouTube app.

3. Make It Mine

Make It Mine allows you to change the carrier name (or remove it totally). It also lets you change the clock to read anything else you want it to.

4. SBSettings

What is SBSettings? Its a HUD interface that’s available from any screen that also displays the status bar at the top; thus almost all applications. To activate the HUD you simply swipe your finger across the status bar, left or right, or even down from it. The HUD will then smoothly slide from the top of the screen to give you lots of information and toggles.

As well as giving basic information about your phone (IP Addresses, memory usage, free space), you can configure which toggles you want to display, and other developers can write their own toggles that interface with it. It also acts pretty much like Windows Task Manager.

5. Installous

I'll make this one brief: Installous is like the App Store, except everything is free! Smile For a TUT on how to get Installous Click You must login or register to view this content.

6. Stack

Stack adds a quick launch menu to your dock, giving rapid access to your favorite apps.

7. Android Lock

Android lock is basically the lock interface the android has. Instead of typing in some numbers to unlock your iPod, you draw a pattern (that you make) to unlock it.

8. 5x5 Icons and dock.

For 5x5 icons, download:

Five Icon Dock
Five-Column Springboard
FiveIRows.

And that concludes this guide. Hope it helped you. Smile

okay i cant find make it mine. can you help me?
08-26-2010, 02:28 AM #6
zakaria
Trap Spawner
To the guy above me ^ can you please not quote the whole OP just for a couple of words..
Brilliant guide by the way, should definitely be up top. I really needed something like this for when I first Jailbroke as I was lost.. I can see you put a fair bit of time into this, props :y:
08-26-2010, 03:50 AM #7
Originally posted by THEFALLEN1234 View Post

okay i cant find make it mine. can you help me?

Okay, First make sure you have this source added: You must login or register to view this content. Make sure you include the whole thing including the "/" then wait for it to add and load its packages and search "MakeItMine" and you should have it Smile
08-26-2010, 04:27 AM #8
Newfie
Former super mod
Great thread, should help a lot of people out, stuck.

The following user thanked Newfie for this useful post:

Infinity
08-26-2010, 05:17 AM #9
zakaria
Trap Spawner
Thanks Newfieland, this definitely deserved to be up there.
08-26-2010, 06:44 AM #10
Thanks for the sticky newfiel Smile
Last edited by Infinity ; 08-31-2010 at 10:01 AM.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo