10-14-2015, 04:21 PM #1
Hawk
Former Staff
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); As some of you know, Hawk is back. Enzo Anyway, to the point of this thread. Many people jailbreak their IPhones still, however some people continue to have some small and quirky problems. This thread aims to eliminate those issues by making sure all the "prerequisites" are met, prior to starting the jailbreak.

(I will add images/videos to the thread once I am home from work.)

#1: Can/should I update?

This depends on a few factors. The first to check, is see what jailbreaks are available, and what programs to use. This can be done easily with You must login or register to view this content. (I'm trying to get them to update it for the most recent iOS versions).

The next step is to see if it is worth updating, and even if you can. The website I prefer to use for this is You must login or register to view this content. . This website will allow you to check what firmwares are currently being signed for your target device(s). Once you are certain that you can update, and there is a jailbreak available, that leads us to the next portion.

OTA. Also known as Over The Air updates are a big no no is the current jailbreaking world. Its is not always the case, however the majority of OTA updates will cause a jailbreak to fail, aith the possibility of making your phone a pretty paperweight by bricking it. I ALWAYS suggest backing up your iDevice fully through iTunes prior to attempting an upgrade. You can find a list of IPSW (iOS files) from the following wesites (some get flooded when new JB's come out)
You must login or register to view this content.

#2 Upgrading (Properly)
BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP. I cannot stress this enough. No matter what you are doing to your device, you should ALWAYS back it up beforehand, else risk losing everything on your phone.

After checking all the previous steps, I always recommend starting fresh, and jailbreaking on a clean installed iDevice. To do this you need do the following:
- Plug your device into your computer with a USB cable.
- Turn off the device.
- Hold the Power button for 3 seconds.
- Hold the Home and Power buttons for 10 seconds.
- Release the Power button but keep holding the Home button.
- After about 15 seconds you will be alerted by iTunes saying that it has detected a device in Recovery Mode.

Once this is completed you will be able to upgrade the IPSW to your device by shift+click on "Restore" and navigating to your IPSW and selecting it. Leave your iDevice plugged in until everything has completed, and it has fully booted into iOS to ensure no damages to the OS. Once the upgrade is complete, you can restore your data, and continue to jailbreaking.

#3 Jailbreaking
As stated above BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP. Especially if you haven't done so already.

Once you are ready to jailbreak (after upgrading etc) there are a few more steps you must complete beforehand to ensure everything goes smoothly and seamlessly. (they're just small things don't worry :lol: )
- Disable Find My iDevice. This can be found in Settings ->iCloud->Find My iDevice-> Slide off
- Disable Passcode. Settings->Touch ID & Passcode->Turn Passcode Off
- Turn on Airplane Mode. Setting->Airplane mode is the 1st choice, Slide on OR Open Control Center and press the Airplane.

Once these steps are complete, open your corresponding jailbreak program, and follow their steps. It is important to remember that when you are running JB programs (especially chinese based) to make sure they are not bundles with 3rd party appstores, and if they are to disable the check to install them.

Important Links (More coming)

Dont forget, Images coming soon!

Thanks for reading! Happy Jailbreaking!
Last edited by Hawk ; 10-22-2015 at 12:48 AM.

The following 5 users say thank you to Hawk for this useful post:

Alt, Frosty, RTE, Slinky

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo