01-01-2012, 05:42 AM #1
ρrodigyz
Cool story bro!
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Got a free .com domain and wondering how to apply it to my ubuntu machine. This ubuntu machine is running Webmin and how do I make it so that the domain points to my machine?
01-01-2012, 09:25 AM #2
Jared
Tranquility.
Originally posted by Prodigyz View Post
Got a free .com domain and wondering how to apply it to my ubuntu machine. This ubuntu machine is running Webmin and how do I make it so that the domain points to my machine?

You need a static IP. Once you have got that done you need to point your DNS servers to your IP so it takes it to the site.
01-01-2012, 09:29 AM #3
Default Avatar
Oneup
Got a free .com domain and wondering how to apply it to my ubuntu machine. This ubuntu machine is running Webmin and how do I make it so that the domain points to my machine?

Make sure you have a static IP, forward the proper ports (generally it's port 80) and change the Arecord to point to your external IP
01-01-2012, 07:59 PM #4
ρrodigyz
Cool story bro!
Originally posted by Kammmmi View Post
You need a static IP. Once you have got that done you need to point your DNS servers to your IP so it takes it to the site.

I have static IP. How to point DNS server?
01-01-2012, 08:01 PM #5
Jared
Tranquility.
I have static IP. How to point DNS server?

You need to use your IP address as the name servers.
01-01-2012, 08:04 PM #6
ρrodigyz
Cool story bro!
Originally posted by Kammmmi View Post
You need to use your IP address as the name servers.

So for the control panel of my domain, I just put my IP address for the Nameserver?
01-01-2012, 08:05 PM #7
Jared
Tranquility.
So for the control panel of my domain, I just put my IP address for the Nameserver?

Yes, that then should point your domain name to your IP which means if everything is set up right it will go to your site.
01-01-2012, 10:39 PM #8
Default Avatar
Oneup

That actually wont work, unless your ISP provides 2 for the DNS server, not sayings your wont, but generally some dont. That's why it's better to just use the A record
01-01-2012, 11:54 PM #9
ρrodigyz
Cool story bro!
Originally posted by UP View Post
That actually wont work, unless your ISP provides 2 for the DNS server, not sayings your wont, but generally some dont. That's why it's better to just use the A record

How to use A record then? D=
01-02-2012, 10:58 AM #10
Default Avatar
Oneup
How to use A record then? D=

I'm not sure who you have your domain through, but basically when you find the area that lets you set the dns or A record, you will just put in your actual IP address for the a record

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo