07-27-2014, 07:07 AM #1
NeedaSlutSoon
Vault dweller
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
- Hello NextGenUpdate Member -

Today I'm going to talk about the Pro's and Con's of Network Bridging and Wireless Repeaters.

First, let's start with defining these two different technologies.

Network Bridging - Commonly known as AP Mode Bridge, this is the act of taking a second router (preferably of the same network bands B/G/N/AC) and connecting them with an ethernet cable. This allows the second router to use it's antennas and boost the signal in a different direction, to create a better Wireless coverage range (in the image below). This method is most commonly used because it can fill a routers deadzone by pointing/directing the antennas. This opens up one new methods for your router, one it becomes a wireless access point, and two it becomes an additional four or more gigabit ethernet ports. This is the best way to bridge a network as all communication is done over a ethernet and is free of obstructions.

You must login or register to view this content.

Wireless Repeaters or Wireless Extenders - These little devices come in handy when you can't get an ethernet cable into position. They generally require a little more setup as they will attach to your network wirelessly. You can pickup a Wireless Repeater for around $50 but in my experience, and others these aren't the way to go. Routers also support Wireless Repeating which communicates with the main router to create a new "zone" and creates a secondary network. Unlike AP Mode / Network Bridging you'll experience higher than normal latency, and your signal strength will become burdened by obstacles like Walls, Appliances, etc. You still get the same features as Network Bridging, but your gigabit ports are broadcasted over wireless, so you will experience much slower file transfers over your local network.

Let's take a quick look at the performance increase and decrease of using a AP Mode router that is bridged with a(n) ethernet cable. The tests are done in 5 different locations, and the routers are all located in the basement as they would generally be.

Primary Router:
Linksys WRT1900AC
Secondary Router: ASUS RT-N66U

As we can see, the performance is a hit and miss in some places. Due to 5GHz having a much shorter range, putting it through a wireless repeater or bridge doesn't help it very much.

So what are the pro's and con's about these two methods to improve wireless range?

- Pro's of AP Mode / Network Bridging
1. Full throughput on all Gigabit ports and Wireless
2. No obstructions to decrease performance
3. Uses a router which has more power than a repeater
4. Safer
5. Better range of wireless "extension"

- Cons of AP Mode / Network Bridging
1. Cost, required to buy a second router
2. Must run a(n) Ethernet cable to the second router from the main

- Pro's of Wireless Repeating or Wireless Extenders
1. Form Factor, plugs into a wall (if using a wall wart repeater)
2. No need for ethernet cables

- Cons of Wireless Repeating or Wireless Extender
1. Price, to extend your network you're looking at around $50/repeater
2. Less secure, all information is broadcasted back to the main router
3. Obstruction galore, decreased performance.
4. Decreased throughput of Gigabit ports and Wireless Range.

So all in all, the conclusion comes down to this. If your router isn't giving you the range you need you have a couple routes you can take. If your router uses external antennas (most do) you can buy ones that are more powerful/larger that create a better sphere, or ones that are bi-directional. But if you have a second router kicking around, go ahead and put it in AP Mode or Wireless Repeating and see how far you can push your wireless.

Thanks,
ResistTheCanadian

The following 6 users say thank you to NeedaSlutSoon for this useful post:

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ, Budz, Mystery, Toke, Demarcus Ware
07-27-2014, 07:08 AM #2
Demarcus Ware
I defeated!
Originally posted by ResistTheCanadian View Post
- Hello NextGenUpdate Member -

Today I'm going to talk about the Pro's and Con's of Network Bridging and Wireless Repeaters.

First, let's start with defining these two different technologies.

Network Bridging - Commonly known as AP Mode Bridge, this is the act of taking a second router (preferably of the same network bands B/G/N/AC) and connecting them with an ethernet cable. This allows the second router to use it's antennas and boost the signal in a different direction, to create a better Wireless coverage range (in the image below). This method is most commonly used because it can fill a routers deadzone by pointing/directing the antennas. This opens up one new methods for your router, one it becomes a wireless access point, and two it becomes an additional four or more gigabit ethernet ports. This is the best way to bridge a network as all communication is done over a ethernet and is free of obstructions.

Wireless Repeaters or Wireless Extenders - These little devices come in handy when you can't get an ethernet cable into position. They generally require a little more setup as they will attach to your network wirelessly. You can pickup a Wireless Repeater for around $50 but in my experience, and others these aren't the way to go. Routers also support Wireless Repeating which communicates with the main router to create a new "zone" and creates a secondary network. Unlike AP Mode / Network Bridging you'll experience higher than normal latency, and your signal strength will become burdened by obstacles like Walls, Appliances, etc. You still get the same features as Network Bridging, but your gigabit ports are broadcasted over wireless, so you will experience much slower file transfers over your local network.

Let's take a quick look at the performance increase and decrease of using a AP Mode router that is bridged with a(n) ethernet cable. The tests are done in 5 different locations, and the routers are all located in the basement as they would generally be.

Primary Router:
Linksys WRT1900AC
Secondary Router: ASUS RT-N66U

As we can see, the performance is a hit and miss in some places. Due to 5GHz having a much shorter range, putting it through a wireless repeater or bridge doesn't help it very much.

So what are the pro's and con's about these two methods to improve wireless range?

- Pro's of AP Mode / Network Bridging
1. Full throughput on all Gigabit ports and Wireless
2. No obstructions to decrease performance
3. Uses a router which has more power than a repeater
4. Safer
5. Better range of wireless "extension"

- Cons of AP Mode / Network Bridging
1. Cost, required to buy a second router
2. Must run a(n) Ethernet cable to the second router from the main

- Pro's of Wireless Repeating or Wireless Extenders
1. Form Factor, plugs into a wall (if using a wall wart repeater)
2. No need for ethernet cables

- Cons of Wireless Repeating or Wireless Extender
1. Price, to extend your network you're looking at around $50/repeater
2. Less secure, all information is broadcasted back to the main router
3. Obstruction galore, decreased performance.
4. Decreased throughput of Gigabit ports and Wireless Range.

So all in all, the conclusion comes down to this. If your router isn't giving you the range you need you have a couple routes you can take. If your router uses external antennas (most do) you can buy ones that are more powerful/larger that create a better sphere, or ones that are bi-directional. But if you have a second router kicking around, go ahead and put it in AP Mode or Wireless Repeating and see how far you can push your wireless.

Thanks,
ResistTheCanadian

I cri evertim ;(
07-28-2014, 09:30 PM #3
Dan
I'm a god.
Nice thread, RTC! Very detailed.. I need to get a second router to extend the wireless around my house.
08-05-2014, 11:09 AM #4
Alt
Banned
I have a wireless repeater and its great! I get good performance (speed & wireless coverage) and its secure!
08-05-2014, 02:57 PM #5
ONE8TY
Banned
Nice thread! Very detailed explanation! its a nice read!
04-20-2015, 08:16 PM #6
nice pors and cons!
02-17-2016, 03:00 AM #7
Galaxe
Haxor!
solid post op

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo