07-26-2011, 11:35 AM #1
Como
Here's to Loonyology!
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
You must login or register to view this content.

Hi guys.

Just came across some info I thought i'd share with you all. It concerns Mozilla, and their developers creating their own operating system to run on phones and tablets. A kind of spin-off of Android, using their technology but coding it themselves. Interesting stuff ay!!

Anyway, here's some extracts from the article;

Although the project will draw on some parts of Google's Android mobile operating system much of the code will be freshly written.

Once finished the operating system will compete with Android as it will run on the same devices.

The project team said all code development would be done in the open and shared as soon as it was written.

You must login or register to view this content.

Called Boot To Gecko the code creation is being overseen by the Mozilla Project which created the Firefox browser. It was announced on the Mozilla discussion forum by researcher Andreas Gal.

Gecko is the rendering engine that powers the Firefox browser and the Thunderbird email program. A rendering engine interprets the code on webpages and displays it in the right format on screen.

With B2G, the Mozilla developers aim to get applications running without the need for the browser, effectively creating a web-centred operating system.

It will draw on some core parts of Android but aims to add a wrapper around it that is much more open than the one created by Google. If successful, the project will face stiff competition from Google's Android and Chrome as well as Apple's iOS and Microsoft's Windows Phone 7.

The Mozilla team admitted that the project was in its "infancy" but said it already created some basic software from building blocks that are similar to those needed to get the OS running.

The team said they were publicising the project to root out experts in the Mozilla community and elsewhere who could help and encouraged them to get in touch and sign on.

Sounds like it'll be interesting. Another OS for us to play around with!

What are your thoughts on it? Do you think it will ever rival the current OS's we are all so used to having?

The following 8 users say thank you to Como for this useful post:

Alpha, gola, Herbal_T_Bag, Jayy, PhantomRenegade, Sert, Smiithy2010, Stub Hero
07-26-2011, 12:13 PM #2
Looks like IOS to me Eek
07-26-2011, 12:15 PM #3
Smiithy2010
What You Looking At Fool?
They should make it for iPhone aswell Smile
07-26-2011, 02:08 PM #4
Laney
Ex-Staff
Originally posted by Smiithy2010 View Post
They should make it for iPhone aswell Smile

apple would be having non of that

The following user thanked Laney for this useful post:

Smiithy2010
07-26-2011, 02:09 PM #5
PhantomRenegade
PS3 hacking is dead
id love to see a mozilla OS
07-26-2011, 02:11 PM #6
Como
Here's to Loonyology!
Originally posted by PhantomRenegade View Post
id love to see a mozilla OS

Same. It's already got me thinking...What exclusives will they be offering that others aren't? It's a tough field to step in to, with Apple and Android already having it locked. Will be interesting to see what Mozilla can come up with.
07-26-2011, 02:24 PM #7
PhantomRenegade
PS3 hacking is dead
Originally posted by Como View Post
Same. It's already got me thinking...What exclusives will they be offering that others aren't? It's a tough field to step in to, with Apple and Android already having it locked. Will be interesting to see what Mozilla can come up with.

i know that they will have something new or else they wouldn't try to get into the waters with two big sharks all ready.
07-27-2011, 11:32 AM #8
Modus
¯\_(ツWinky Winky_/¯
A lot of people have been trying to compete with Apple lately :lol:
07-27-2011, 11:47 AM #9
Smiithy2010
What You Looking At Fool?
Originally posted by Laney View Post
apple would be having non of that

I know they wouldnt lol But still it would be good if they did Smile
07-27-2011, 11:47 AM #10
Default Avatar
Gizmo
Too bad my phone is too outdated to run it :(
It will be interesting to see how well the browser runs though.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo