07-11-2012, 07:29 PM #1
i--DanieL_
Edgier than an octagon
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
You must login or register to view this content.

So Sert linked me to this article earlier in the shoutbox and I found it too amazing to not make a thread about it. It's about a company called OUYA who are making their own eighth generation console. They opened for pledges yesterday with a goal of $950,000 and achieved 2 million in their very first day.

The best thing about this console is that it's going to be cheap. Prices start at $99 so it's affordable for everyone to enjoy the system. Also all games will be free (at least to try they say) which is pretty damn awesome.

It uses Android 4.0, comes with 1GB of RAM, 8GB of Flash storage and Tegra3 quad-core processor. To be honest I have feck all clue what all that means but some of you computer nuts out there might.

Oh yeah and even better, it's simple to mess about with.

"Have at it: It's easy to root (and rooting won't void your warranty)."

So for hackers and the console hacking scene this could be huge, it could be huge for the site to if big names get on board. Also, every single console is a dev kit so indie devs can have at it and get there games into your living rooms, they're not restricted by licences and other shit.

They're taking pledges now on their site. Pledges range from $10 to $10,000 and you can get all kinds of neat perks from reserving your username to getting your console early to getting your Username engraved on the back of the first run of consoles, which is tight.

Projected release date is March 2013, not that far away for something that just came out of no-where.

Here's the link, you should give it a read, I suck a articles: You must login or register to view this content.

I know I'm pledging are any of you?
Last edited by i--DanieL_ ; 07-11-2012 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Added like the whole thread and shit

The following 8 users say thank you to i--DanieL_ for this useful post:

Andy Samberg, Fuser's Hoe, Hitman, Ingloreusemodz, MagicalMonkey, Ninja, Sert
07-11-2012, 07:46 PM #2
Killua-
Let The Madness Reign
Originally posted by i
So Sert linked me to this article earlier in the shoutbox and I found it too amazing to not make a thread about it. It's about a company called OUYA who are making their own eighth generation console. They opened for pledges yesterday with a goal of $950,000 and achieved 2 million in their very first day.

The best thing about this console is that it's going to be cheap. Prices start at $99 so it's affordable for everyone to enjoy the system. Also all games will be free (at least to try they say) which is pretty damn awesome.

It uses Android 4.0, comes with 1GB of RAM, 8GB of Flash storage and Tegra3 quad-core processor. To be honest I have feck all clue what all that means but some of you computer nuts out there might.

Oh yeah and even better, it's simple to mess about with.

"Have at it: It's easy to root (and rooting won't void your warranty)."

So for hackers and the console hacking scene this could be huge, it could be huge for the site to if big names get on board.

They're taking pledges now on their site. Pledges range from $10 to $10,000 and you can get all kinds of neat perks from reserving your username to getting your console early to getting your Username engraved on the back of the first run of consoles, which is tight.

Here's the link: You must login or register to view this content.

I know I'm pledging are any of you?

Definitely going to give it a shot. Looks good. Any pictures of it?
07-11-2012, 07:57 PM #3
i--DanieL_
Edgier than an octagon
Originally posted by Killua
Definitely going to give it a shot. Looks good. Any pictures of it?

There's a few on the website, you should give it a read, I suck at articles so it may be a bit better.

Here are some I found

Looks like the interface, pretty nice at first glance:

Found this on wiki, looks like the console itself:
Last edited by i--DanieL_ ; 07-11-2012 at 08:01 PM.
07-11-2012, 08:01 PM #4
Shit, free games and the price is only $99 win!
07-11-2012, 08:08 PM #5
i--DanieL_
Edgier than an octagon
Originally posted by ClutchLike24 View Post
Shit, free games and the price is only $99 win!

They will probably be from small titles. Mostly indie devs. I can't see a CoD on this to be honest, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
07-11-2012, 08:14 PM #6
Default Avatar
Gizmo
Loving it, hopefully devs can mess around and make a few games for it, which can then be ported to the PS3 or Xbox and become big hits :p
07-11-2012, 08:17 PM #7
Default Avatar
Cammy

Seemed to awesome not to back, can't wait till they get this project up and running! Happy
07-11-2012, 08:22 PM #8
i--DanieL_
Edgier than an octagon
Originally posted by Cammmmy View Post

Seemed to awesome not to back, can't wait till they get this project up and running! Happy

What package did you get? :p Yeah it sounds really interesting, I'm getting my online banking all sorted this week so I can donate myself. =D
07-11-2012, 08:24 PM #9
Default Avatar
Cammy
Originally posted by i
What package did you get? :p Yeah it sounds really interesting, I'm getting my online banking all sorted this week so I can donate myself. =D

I'm quite skint at the moment but I could spare $10 for it :p I'll definitely donate more over time.
07-13-2012, 06:20 PM #10
Default Avatar
-Rhys-
I can see this having huge potential, but money will definitely be spent on games. Take for example iOS games, I know people getting free games and spending over $30 in game add-ons and what not, and that's where the Ouya will make it's money.

I hope it can produce some good games, like RPGs and that, hopefully money-whoring developers don't come along and try to make massive blockbuster titles.

The following 2 users groaned at -Rhys- for this awful post:

Ameht!, Sempiternal

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo