03-28-2009, 06:30 AM #1
MSgt.Gunny
I am error
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); This week, I'm building my new computer, my old one crapped out on me so i decided to do a overhaul.

Core i7 920- will overclock $279
MSI x58 motherboard (open box $330, got it for $220)
3x2gb 1333mhz ddr3 ram- overclock $80
BFG GTX 260 216 core version- over clock $160
640gb WD hard drive $60
full tower case $90
Vigor Monsoon III CPU Cooler $60
23" 1080p lcd $140
wireless n card (my router is too far for ethernet) $30
and then the normal dvd burner etc...

Its not my first build, definitely not my last, but it will be my best to this date

MSI X58 Eclipse SLI LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard, comes with sound card, normaly 330, open box, 230
LITE-ON 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model iHAS322-08 - Retail (retail for sata cable...)
ENCORE ENLWI-N PCI 2.3 Wireless Adapter - Retail
OCZ OCZTFRZTC Freeze Extreme Thermal Conductivity Compound - Retail
Vigor Monsoon III LT Dual 120mm Fan CPU Cooler Socket 1366 Ready - Retail
^^^^ from newegg, total $362.36

BFG GeForce GTX 260 OC MAXCORE Video Card - 896MB GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0, (2) Dual Link DVI, SLI Ready, VGA and HDMI Adapter, Component Cable (216 core)
Intel Core i7 920 Processor BX80601920 - 2.66GHz, 8MB L3 Cache, 4.8GT/s QPI, HyperThreading, Quad-Core, Bloomfield, LGA 1366, Retail, Processor with Fan
Logitech G11 Gaming Keyboard
OCZ Platinum Tri Channel 6GB PC10666 DDR3 Memory - 1333MHz, 6144MB (3 x 204Cool Man (aka Tustin)
WD Caviar 640GB Serial ATA HD 7200/16MB/SATA-3G
Ultra LSP750 750-Watt Power Supply - ATX, SATA-Ready, SLI-Ready, 135mm Fan
Acer X233H 23" Widescreen LCD Monitor - 5ms, 1920 x 1080, 40000:1 Dynamic, 16:9, DVI, Black, HDMI
NZXT Zero 2 Craft Series Full Tower Case - Steel Chassis, Quad 120mm Fans, Dual 120mm Exhaust, Top Mounted USB, Audio, eSATA
^^^^ tigerdirect, total $1158.33

Sub total: $1520.69
-Microsoft Cashback 133.80
1386.89 USD
-Mail in rebates: $65

Grand total: $1321.89 USD
Last edited by MSgt.Gunny ; 03-29-2009 at 02:18 AM.
03-28-2009, 08:16 AM #2
Surikizu
GUMI fanboy
Looks pretty good to me, I can see the mostly its overclock ( very nice ) adn you got some fast Ram there. Nice.
03-28-2009, 10:35 AM #3
Oc
****ING NINJA SHIT
Inzider... you don't know anything about computers do you?

don't overclock your videocard or RAM unless you're an experienced overclocker with coolers.
nvidia fanboy?, it's too expensive for what you get.
HD4870 is good enough for your computer screen.

i'm going to edit your config a little.

Originally posted by another user
Intel Core I7 920 2.66 GHz, 4.8 GT/s, 4x 256kb, 8 MB,Boxed

Honestly i don't know why this thing is so good, a Quadcore CPU is as fast as this.

GigaByte GA-EX58-UD4

Nice board for i7, but if you want to do some extreme overclocking, which you don't, i suggest you to get another one.

Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 ToXiC 1024 MB, PCI Express X16

This is a very good card, you can run all games on max with this (on the computer screen i listed)

OCZ Memory Platinum 4 GB, PC3-12800, 1600 MHz, 7, Non-ECC, Kit Of 2

You don't need 6GB of ram, 4gb will do, you can always upgrade later on.

Antec Gamersgear Nine Hundred Two black

Good case with nice cooling functions, you can place some more fans in it to make it even cool better.

Antec Basiq Power BP550 PLUS EC 550 Watt, 24 Pins

550 Watts will do.

Samsung Spinpoint F1R 500 GB, 7200 Rpm, 16 MB, S-ATA II/300

You can always put another one in your computer.

Asus Triton 81 Aluminium, Koper

this is a good cooler for overclocking your i7 CPU.

Asus DRW-2014S1 S-ATA, Bulk, Zwart

DVD-rw drive.

ViewSonic VX2260WM 22 Inch / 55.8 Cm, 5 Ms, 2 Speakers, Zwart

22inch hi-def screen with a nice contrast of 20000:1 and up to 2ms response time.

Asus WL-138gE

wireless network card.

----------------------------------------------------------

Intel Core I7 920 2.66 GHz, 4.8 GT/s, 4x 256kb, 8 MB, Boxed
GigaByte GA-EX58-UD4
Antec Gamersgear Nine Hundred Two Zwart, Geen Voeding
Asus WL-138gE

price:
1,295.84 EUR
=
1,722.24 USD
03-28-2009, 03:49 PM #4
Surikizu
GUMI fanboy
I just know a bit of it but yeah um I don't know overclock part of the Graphics card. All I know is it'll run pretty good.

I need to study some of those overclock video card things.....
03-28-2009, 04:30 PM #5
I like, but i would have put a couple TB drives in it bro..Smile
03-28-2009, 04:32 PM #6
Rust
Do a barrel roll!
Woah! First off, I read the second line of Og Loc and stopped right there and got my criticizing cap on.

NVIDIA is known and said and thought of as the less-expensive ATI. Comparing side by side, NVIDIA compared to ATI is less expensive for the same performance. The reason ATI is more expensive is because of their use of DDR3 memory - and up until about eight months ago - NVIDIA has stayed clear of DDR3. This is because DDR3 only gave fast performance, but the small size on most ATI cards(512mb) of it hindered the performance with efficiency. NVIDIA has moved into the scene with 512mb but also 1gb's as their prize cards, causing them to be a lot more expensive, but the advantages and performances involved are much better. Don't try and bring NVIDIA as inferior or call someone a Fanboy unless you have just cause. This guy just obviously knows performance and efficiency.

Also, the reason the I7 is so good is because of the power efficiency, and the generation of much less heat because of it. This means that it is much easier to overclock and keep stable, and with water cooling, is much easier to overclock tremendous amounts. That's the reason why it's generated so much hype. Of course, overclocking is an exponential curve with heat/power, so you're right in the regard that overclocking with anything tends to be a job where you can't just be an idiot kid.

Board, I agree. But I don't agree with the board you provided. EVGA provides the best boards(they have won awards at each board they produce, something unheard of from others like XFX and GIGABYTE), but that means going to NVIDIA, which I don't see a problem with obviously, and you don't either seeing as how your original card is NVIDIA.

The Graphics card is good, but of course, with your other things, I think you're going to see a little bit of drag on performance. Once again, check out EVGA's selection of their cards. And for the ATI vs. NVIDIA debate's sake, EVGA is what is used by NVIDIA in all the performance graphs that show NVIDIA outperforming ATI. Just find a lot of the graphs but realize who you are finding them from and what you are exactly looking at.

Agree on the RAM portion too. 3gb will take you a long way. 4gb+ is only useful if you plan on editing videos/photos, etc. Gaming is perfect for 3gb. Also, with that speed, definitely perfect. Of course, DDR3 cost effectiveness vs. performance is a bit constrained, but seeing as how you have money to spend, there you go.

Coolermaster makes awesome cases too that are very durable and expansive for everything and anything, so just focusing on Antec like I see a lot of other performance nuts doing is just stupid. Cases aren't really that important unless you want to do water cooling or really build up a system. Coolermaster tends to be my favorite.

Next, ARE YOU CRAZY?! 550 WATTS WILL DO?!
550W with overclocking is like NOTHING. With all those components, you'll be needing much more than 550W. I am running a 1000W OCZ Pro-Xstream for my system and I have a lot of room for more components, but my same system at 550W failed over and over. You got to look at the efficiency and always go 20% more than what you need in terms of power. This is a general rule of thumb because what the PSU's are rated at are their max capacity. They are actually only efficient for up to 80%, and some are as low as 60% depending on the brand.

The rest isn't worth that much commenting on.

Also. Overclocking video cards and all that is very simple using nTune, because it determines if it is even stable and all that before you even do it. It's software overclocking, but really, you don't need to do hardware overclocking unless you're dealing with your RAM/CPU. Software overclocking for a GPU is perfectly fine with nTUNE which is provided by Nvidia for free with all video cards. Just remember to keep it cold, that's the bottom line. GPU's are just as hot as a CPU, and are kept at 60C at usual unlike a CPU which is kept at around 40C. But remember, their break points are the same. Both will start to fluctuate and screw up at around 70C-80C. CPU's will fluctuate and screw up at 55C+ but at 70C-80C it becomes unbearable.

Oh. In regards to the hard drives.
SATA hard drives are PERFECT for space storage, they offer reliability as well as amazing space storage, some as much as 1 TB drives for cheap.

Of course, for performances sake, you want to do a SCSI drive as your master drive for your OS, and if you plan on doing a dual-boot or triple-boot, that means two or three SCSI drives for each OS.
You must login or register to view this content.
That topic explains a little debate between SCSI vs. SATA. Bottom line is that performance means you want a SCSI drive for your OS while everything else is on an SATA. That's the basic master system right there.
Last edited by Rust ; 03-28-2009 at 04:38 PM.
03-28-2009, 07:51 PM #7
magglass1
S3rv0r @dm1n
The i7s are good because they also have hyperthreading. That means that 4 cores shows up as 8 cores and improves the performance of multithreaded applications. As for RAM, DDR3 is triple channel, not dual channel, so buying 4GB, as Outsider suggested, is impossibly without losing the benefit of triple channel RAM. 2GBx3 is probably the cheapest (per GB) way to go. At home I have a system with 6 dimm slots; three are filled with 2GB sticks in triple channel and the other three are free to upgrade to 12GB in the future. The motherboard is made by MSI. Rust is right about nVidia; it may cost more, but the performance is still better. In that same system at home I have a GeForce GTX 280 and it runs anything smoothly without a hitch. New nVidia GPUs also support nVidia CUDA for high performance computation and simulation.

As for the hard drive, I use a You must login or register to view this content. SATA drive which runs at 10,000 RPM. Plenty of performance without having to buy a SCSI card.
03-29-2009, 02:14 AM #8
MSgt.Gunny
I am error
Originally posted by Oc
Inzider... you don't know anything about computers do you?

don't overclock your videocard or RAM unless you're an experienced overclocker with coolers.
nvidia fanboy?, it's too expensive for what you get.
HD4870 is good enough for your computer screen.

i'm going to edit your config a little.

Honestly i don't know why this thing is so good, a Quadcore CPU is as fast as this.

Nice board for i7, but if you want to do some extreme overclocking, which you don't, i suggest you to get another one.

This is a very good card, you can run all games on max with this (on the computer screen i listed)

You don't need 6GB of ram, 4gb will do, you can always upgrade later on.

Good case with nice cooling functions, you can place some more fans in it to make it even cool better.

550 Watts will do.

You can always put another one in your computer.

this is a good cooler for overclocking your i7 CPU.

DVD-rw drive.

22inch hi-def screen with a nice contrast of 20000:1 and up to 2ms response time.

wireless network card.

----------------------------------------------------------

Intel Core I7 920 2.66 GHz, 4.8 GT/s, 4x 256kb, 8 MB, Boxed
GigaByte GA-EX58-UD4
Antec Gamersgear Nine Hundred Two Zwart, Geen Voeding
Asus WL-138gE

price:
1,295.84 EUR
=
1,722.24 USD

actually, my cost was $1390 USD, and i got the gtx 260 for $160 about the same price as your card, i got an open box $330 mobo for $220, newegg, most of the other parts i got tigerdirect for the 12% cashback from microsoft

oh and i've been planning this computer for the past 2 months so don't think i just went out and bought the first parts i saw

---------- Post added at 10:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 PM ----------

here is the official specs for the parts

MSI X58 Eclipse SLI LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard, comes with sound card, normall 330, me, 230
LITE-ON 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Model iHAS322-08 - Retail (retail for sata cable...)
ENCORE ENLWI-N PCI 2.3 Wireless Adapter - Retail
OCZ OCZTFRZTC Freeze Extreme Thermal Conductivity Compound - Retail
Vigor Monsoon III LT Dual 120mm Fan CPU Cooler Socket 1366 Ready - Retail
^^^^ from newegg, total $362.36

BFG GeForce GTX 260 OC MAXCORE Video Card - 896MB GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0, (2) Dual Link DVI, SLI Ready, VGA and HDMI Adapter, Component Cable (216 core)
Intel Core i7 920 Processor BX80601920 - 2.66GHz, 8MB L3 Cache, 4.8GT/s QPI, HyperThreading, Quad-Core, Bloomfield, LGA 1366, Retail, Processor with Fan
Logitech G11 Gaming Keyboard
OCZ Platinum Tri Channel 6GB PC10666 DDR3 Memory - 1333MHz, 6144MB (3 x 204Cool Man (aka Tustin)
WD Caviar 640GB Serial ATA HD 7200/16MB/SATA-3G
Ultra LSP750 750-Watt Power Supply - ATX, SATA-Ready, SLI-Ready, 135mm Fan
Acer X233H 23" Widescreen LCD Monitor - 5ms, 1920 x 1080, 40000:1 Dynamic, 16:9, DVI, Black, HDMI
NZXT Zero 2 Craft Series Full Tower Case - Steel Chassis, Quad 120mm Fans, Dual 120mm Exhaust, Top Mounted USB, Audio, eSATA
^^^^ tigerdirect, total $1158.33

Sub total: $1520.69
-Microsoft Cashback 133.80
1386.89 USD
-Mail in rebates: $65

Grand total: $1321.89 USD

why pay $1700 again?

---------- Post added at 10:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 PM ----------

Originally posted by Rust View Post
Woah! First off, I read the second line of Og Loc and stopped right there and got my criticizing cap on.

NVIDIA is known and said and thought of as the less-expensive ATI. Comparing side by side, NVIDIA compared to ATI is less expensive for the same performance. The reason ATI is more expensive is because of their use of DDR3 memory - and up until about eight months ago - NVIDIA has stayed clear of DDR3. This is because DDR3 only gave fast performance, but the small size on most ATI cards(512mb) of it hindered the performance with efficiency. NVIDIA has moved into the scene with 512mb but also 1gb's as their prize cards, causing them to be a lot more expensive, but the advantages and performances involved are much better. Don't try and bring NVIDIA as inferior or call someone a Fanboy unless you have just cause. This guy just obviously knows performance and efficiency.

Also, the reason the I7 is so good is because of the power efficiency, and the generation of much less heat because of it. This means that it is much easier to overclock and keep stable, and with water cooling, is much easier to overclock tremendous amounts. That's the reason why it's generated so much hype. Of course, overclocking is an exponential curve with heat/power, so you're right in the regard that overclocking with anything tends to be a job where you can't just be an idiot kid.

Board, I agree. But I don't agree with the board you provided. EVGA provides the best boards(they have won awards at each board they produce, something unheard of from others like XFX and GIGABYTE), but that means going to NVIDIA, which I don't see a problem with obviously, and you don't either seeing as how your original card is NVIDIA.

The Graphics card is good, but of course, with your other things, I think you're going to see a little bit of drag on performance. Once again, check out EVGA's selection of their cards. And for the ATI vs. NVIDIA debate's sake, EVGA is what is used by NVIDIA in all the performance graphs that show NVIDIA outperforming ATI. Just find a lot of the graphs but realize who you are finding them from and what you are exactly looking at.

Agree on the RAM portion too. 3gb will take you a long way. 4gb+ is only useful if you plan on editing videos/photos, etc. Gaming is perfect for 3gb. Also, with that speed, definitely perfect. Of course, DDR3 cost effectiveness vs. performance is a bit constrained, but seeing as how you have money to spend, there you go.

Coolermaster makes awesome cases too that are very durable and expansive for everything and anything, so just focusing on Antec like I see a lot of other performance nuts doing is just stupid. Cases aren't really that important unless you want to do water cooling or really build up a system. Coolermaster tends to be my favorite.

Next, ARE YOU CRAZY?! 550 WATTS WILL DO?!
550W with overclocking is like NOTHING. With all those components, you'll be needing much more than 550W. I am running a 1000W OCZ Pro-Xstream for my system and I have a lot of room for more components, but my same system at 550W failed over and over. You got to look at the efficiency and always go 20% more than what you need in terms of power. This is a general rule of thumb because what the PSU's are rated at are their max capacity. They are actually only efficient for up to 80%, and some are as low as 60% depending on the brand.

The rest isn't worth that much commenting on.

Also. Overclocking video cards and all that is very simple using nTune, because it determines if it is even stable and all that before you even do it. It's software overclocking, but really, you don't need to do hardware overclocking unless you're dealing with your RAM/CPU. Software overclocking for a GPU is perfectly fine with nTUNE which is provided by Nvidia for free with all video cards. Just remember to keep it cold, that's the bottom line. GPU's are just as hot as a CPU, and are kept at 60C at usual unlike a CPU which is kept at around 40C. But remember, their break points are the same. Both will start to fluctuate and screw up at around 70C-80C. CPU's will fluctuate and screw up at 55C+ but at 70C-80C it becomes unbearable.

Oh. In regards to the hard drives.
SATA hard drives are PERFECT for space storage, they offer reliability as well as amazing space storage, some as much as 1 TB drives for cheap.

Of course, for performances sake, you want to do a SCSI drive as your master drive for your OS, and if you plan on doing a dual-boot or triple-boot, that means two or three SCSI drives for each OS.
You must login or register to view this content.
That topic explains a little debate between SCSI vs. SATA. Bottom line is that performance means you want a SCSI drive for your OS while everything else is on an SATA. That's the basic master system right there.

and i would love an scsi drive, but the card that is needed, since my board does not have sas inputs is a little above my budget, i was also considering a velociraptor as an alternative, but that is an easy upgrade, for now my sata drive will do just fine, i don't plan on breaking an world records here

---------- Post added at 10:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 PM ----------

Originally posted by magglass1 View Post
The i7s are good because they also have hyperthreading. That means that 4 cores shows up as 8 cores and improves the performance of multithreaded applications. As for RAM, DDR3 is triple channel, not dual channel, so buying 4GB, as Outsider suggested, is impossibly without losing the benefit of triple channel RAM. 2GBx3 is probably the cheapest (per GB) way to go. At home I have a system with 6 dimm slots; three are filled with 2GB sticks in triple channel and the other three are free to upgrade to 12GB in the future. The motherboard is made by MSI. Rust is right about nVidia; it may cost more, but the performance is still better. In that same system at home I have a GeForce GTX 280 and it runs anything smoothly without a hitch. New nVidia GPUs also support nVidia CUDA for high performance computation and simulation.

As for the hard drive, I use a You must login or register to view this content. SATA drive which runs at 10,000 RPM. Plenty of performance without having to buy a SCSI card.

i was thinking about a velociraptor, it doesn't have the same access time as a ssd drive, but it doesn't "wear out" because of flash's limitations, see You must login or register to view this content. , as it has very good read and write speeds, raid 0 would be even better, and i know i won't use all 6gb, no way, but it was a great price and i went for it, it has 7-7-7-20 timings for ddr3 which is outstanding and its ocz which has a great warranty

also memory sold as tri-channel is made sure to work at below 1.65v while dual channel ddr3 memory for a year had not and this "low quality" ddr3 ram had flooded the market for a full year, but almost none of it is used in tri channel due to the voltage limitations

i mean low quality because in order to get the high mhz and low timings they bumped up the voltage A LOT, this just doesn't work in a core i7 system
Last edited by MSgt.Gunny ; 03-29-2009 at 02:20 AM.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo