06-04-2015, 04:27 AM #1
Slick
Anxiety
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
Sup guys!

So... I've decided to save up for a gaming PC and with the help of You must login or register to view this content. and You must login or register to view this content., we've come up with this build:

You must login or register to view this content.

List of parts

CPU:
Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler:

NZXT Kraken X31 69.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard:

Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory:
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage:
Intel 535 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card:

EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card

Case:

NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply:
EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Monitor:
Asus VS239H-P 23.0" Monitor (x2)

Now my budget will be $1500 and this build cuts it real close. I would like to know yall's opinion on it and any suggestions you may have.

Enzo[/FONT]
Last edited by Slick ; 06-04-2015 at 05:35 AM.
06-04-2015, 05:41 AM #2
Toke
PC Master Race
well switch to a i5 and save $100?

The following user thanked Toke for this useful post:

06-04-2015, 05:55 AM #3
Slick
Anxiety
Originally posted by Tolkien View Post
well switch to a i5 and save $100?

Do you think it's worth saving a $100? How does the i5 compare to the i7?
06-04-2015, 06:02 AM #4
Toke
PC Master Race
Originally posted by Slick View Post
Do you think it's worth saving a $100? How does the i5 compare to the i7?

depends i have a i5 and it works for me i dont do much heavy work like photoshop or rendering though
06-04-2015, 06:14 AM #5
Slick
Anxiety
Originally posted by Tolkien View Post
depends i have a i5 and it works for me i dont do much heavy work like photoshop or rendering though

Me either... I might change it then. You know more than me Smile
06-04-2015, 07:43 AM #6
Rawr
Can’t trickshot me!
-snip-

CPU Cooler:
I wouldn't bother investing in a AIO cooler unless it's Swiftech's H220-X/H240-X because these coolers can be expanded to include the GPU. Also, most AIO coolers have mediocre cooling performance, so if you're trying to make use of every dollar you have, get a ~$30 air cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO or the Enermax ETS-T40-TB. There is no significant cooling difference by going with a liquid cooler; maybe a 2-5°C difference that you will never notice because temps are constantly changing.

Memory:
16GB is really unnecessary. A lot of people feel like they need 16GB of RAM, but truth of the matter is, most people won't even fully utilize 8GB of RAM. If you monitor your memory usage and know for sure you need 16GB of RAM, then go for it, but I would rather invest that money in something else. 8GB of RAM is around ~$50, so if you went with 16GB and don't even touch the last 8GB, it would be a waste of your $50.

Storage (SSD):
Me, personally, I'd rather get a 120GB Samsung 850 EVO.

Storage (HDD):
You already have a SSD for high-speed performance, so it would be better to go with a 1TB WD Blue instead of the Black. The only time you'll notice a difference between the WD Blue and the WD Black is in synthetic benchmarks. In real-world performance however, there is no noticeable difference between the two drives. Only go with WD Blacks if you want more than 1TB on a single drive and not be limited to the 5400RPM of WD Greens/Reds; or you can just go with a different manufacturer such as Seagate. A lot of people say Seagates are less reliable. While it may be true, I feel like it's an overexaggerated statement.

Video Card:
Nothing wrong with the GTX 970 (I own a ACX 2.0 GTX 970), but if you carefully allocate your money, you could get a GTX 980 TI to fit in the budget.

Power Supply:
I wouldn't go with any of the SuperNOVA NEX PSUs. Their build quality is pretty decent, but they have terrible voltage regulation, and the 650W model failed to pass the 80+ Gold standard at all load levels. While they aren't super crappy and won't blow up, they are overpriced and mediocre. You can get much better with your money.

- - -

You must login or register to view this content. / You must login or register to view this content.

CPU: You must login or register to view this content. ($229.98 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: You must login or register to view this content. ($31.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: You must login or register to view this content. ($115.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: You must login or register to view this content. ($43.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: You must login or register to view this content. ($67.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: You must login or register to view this content. ($52.45 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: You must login or register to view this content. ($649.99 @ Amazon)
Case: You must login or register to view this content. ($64.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: You must login or register to view this content. ($73.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: You must login or register to view this content. ($236.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1568.34
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-04 03:43 EDT-0400
Last edited by Rawr ; 06-04-2015 at 08:12 AM.

The following user thanked Rawr for this useful post:

06-04-2015, 03:21 PM #7
Slick
Anxiety
Originally posted by Rawr View Post
CPU Cooler:
I wouldn't bother investing in a AIO cooler unless it's Swiftech's H220-X/H240-X because these coolers can be expanded to include the GPU. Also, most AIO coolers have mediocre cooling performance, so if you're trying to make use of every dollar you have, get a ~$30 air cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO or the Enermax ETS-T40-TB. There is no significant cooling difference by going with a liquid cooler; maybe a 2-5°C difference that you will never notice because temps are constantly changing.

Memory:
16GB is really unnecessary. A lot of people feel like they need 16GB of RAM, but truth of the matter is, most people won't even fully utilize 8GB of RAM. If you monitor your memory usage and know for sure you need 16GB of RAM, then go for it, but I would rather invest that money in something else. 8GB of RAM is around ~$50, so if you went with 16GB and don't even touch the last 8GB, it would be a waste of your $50.

Storage (SSD):
Me, personally, I'd rather get a 120GB Samsung 850 EVO.

Storage (HDD):
You already have a SSD for high-speed performance, so it would be better to go with a 1TB WD Blue instead of the Black. The only time you'll notice a difference between the WD Blue and the WD Black is in synthetic benchmarks. In real-world performance however, there is no noticeable difference between the two drives. Only go with WD Blacks if you want more than 1TB on a single drive and not be limited to the 5400RPM of WD Greens/Reds; or you can just go with a different manufacturer such as Seagate. A lot of people say Seagates are less reliable. While it may be true, I feel like it's an overexaggerated statement.

Video Card:
Nothing wrong with the GTX 970 (I own a ACX 2.0 GTX 970), but if you carefully allocate your money, you could get a GTX 980 TI to fit in the budget.

Power Supply:
I wouldn't go with any of the SuperNOVA NEX PSUs. Their build quality is pretty decent, but they have terrible voltage regulation, and the 650W model failed to pass the 80+ Gold standard at all load levels. While they aren't super crappy and won't blow up, they are overpriced and mediocre. You can get much better with your money.

- - -

You must login or register to view this content. / You must login or register to view this content.

CPU: You must login or register to view this content. ($229.98 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: You must login or register to view this content. ($31.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: You must login or register to view this content. ($115.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: You must login or register to view this content. ($43.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: You must login or register to view this content. ($67.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: You must login or register to view this content. ($52.45 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: You must login or register to view this content. ($649.99 @ Amazon)
Case: You must login or register to view this content. ($64.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: You must login or register to view this content. ($73.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: You must login or register to view this content. ($236.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1568.34
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-06-04 03:43 EDT-0400

That looks like a sweet build! Although I'm not sure if I would want to get a 980 Ti just yet :p I really want 2 monitors so I might switch that gpu back to the 970. The rest of it looks great though! Thanks for your help Enzo
06-04-2015, 06:30 PM #8
ResistTheSun
In Flames Much?
Sup guys!

So... I've decided to save up for a gaming PC and with the help of You must login or register to view this content. and You must login or register to view this content., we've come up with this build:

List of parts

CPU:
Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler:

NZXT Kraken X31 69.5 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard:

Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory:
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage:
Intel 535 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card:

EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card

Case:

NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply:
EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Monitor:
Asus VS239H-P 23.0" Monitor (x2)

Now my budget will be $1500 and this build cuts it real close. I would like to know yall's opinion on it and any suggestions you may have.

Enzo[/FONT]

:p why the i7 CPU?

You could get a 250GB SSD with the saving. Looks okay at first look
06-04-2015, 06:47 PM #9
Slick
Anxiety
Originally posted by ResistTheSun View Post
:p why the i7 CPU?

You could get a 250GB SSD with the saving. Looks okay at first look

Just thought it was better, but like toke said.. There's no need for me to get an i7 if I'm not gonna be doing any cpu heavy stuff, like video editing/rendering. I'll change it when I get some time Smile
06-04-2015, 07:50 PM #10
Rawr
Can’t trickshot me!
That looks like a sweet build! Although I'm not sure if I would want to get a 980 Ti just yet :p I really want 2 monitors so I might switch that gpu back to the 970. The rest of it looks great though! Thanks for your help Enzo

That is how incorrectly allocate your money. GPU should have priority over monitors, imo. It's better to get a GTX 980 TI and a single monitor now, then get the second monitor later.

The GTX 980 TI is ~30% better than the GTX 970. 2-5 years into the future when you're itching for an upgrade, SLI 970 just wouldn't be worth it. 3.5GB VRAM of the GTX 970 isn't much of a trouble at 1080p with today's games, but think about the future. Technology is advancing and games are becoming more demanding. The GTX 980 TI is a lot more future proof than the GTX 970.

As an owner of the GTX 970, I can say it can play most games at 1080p 60fps at ultra settings, but with filtering options off/lowered. If the GPU is already somewhat struggling, think about how it will perform in the future. I say "somewhat struggling" because playing games with filtering options off/lowered isn't a big deal.

But it is your money, you do as you wish.
Last edited by Rawr ; 06-04-2015 at 08:03 PM.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo