Post: Rumor: PS3 Cross-Game Chat To Be Restricted To Paid PSN Subscribers
02-17-2010, 07:20 PM #1
Caspa
Retired Mod
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
You must login or register to view this content.

Originally posted by another user
Cross game chat, a feature Xbox 360 owners have enjoyed for years, and one PS3 fans can’t wait to experience on PSN. Thing is, in order to experience the goodness, you might have to pay for it.
In the latest issue of PTOM, there’s a thread about PlayStation 3’s “Next Tech”, and in it, slew of details were divulged concerning PSN.
After talking about the possible 3D offerings in 2010, the mag delves into cross-game chat.
“Aside from the 3D goodness, cross-game party chat is the obvious “next big feature,” even though it might be restricted to paid [PSN] subscribers.”
Earlier in the same thread speaking about motion controls, the writer said this:
“Sony’s current service is one of the PS3’s best features, so we’d begrudgingly welcome a revamped PSN with extra subscriber functionality, like cross-game-chat and exclusive PSN downloads.”

I know alot of people are dying for Cross Game chat, and it really should've been implemented a long time ago. Personally I think making people pay for it is a poor decision by Sony since it's such a basic feature. Atleast it's definitely going to happen one way or another though. What do you guys think about this?

Via: You must login or register to view this content.

The following 5 users say thank you to Caspa for this useful post:

NanuGama, Rage, Sert, SavagedPixel
02-17-2010, 07:24 PM #2
you know sony wont do that right? there been rumors for like past 2 years saying that we will have to pay monthly to use psn and that never happend
02-17-2010, 08:00 PM #3
Lb8068
Keeper
There have also been rumors since ver. 2.60 that party chat was gonna come to ps3, and that also never happened. I'm thinking of forming a petition, then emailing it to Sony, this is one of the features I have been desperate for. I have both consoles and the reason I think XBL is doing much better than PSN is because of party chat and not having to be restricted to certain games to be able to play a game and still talk to your friends.
Last edited by Lb8068 ; 02-17-2010 at 08:03 PM. Reason: iPhone spell chacker is retarded!
02-17-2010, 09:36 PM #4
FuzzaMuzza
NGU Master
What the hell? Paid PSN?

Why are they doing this?

Sony Acting Retarded..im not paying for that
02-17-2010, 09:51 PM #5
Do a barrel roll!
Originally posted by evan94 View Post
What the hell? Paid PSN?

Why are they doing this?

but how bout if it is a small amount for example 5 dollars a month? that would get ps3 better features and still be cheap!
02-17-2010, 10:39 PM #6
Rage
NGU Original
Any money just makes it awkward..:(

One of PS3s best features is the free online expierence
02-18-2010, 02:13 AM #7
I don't see why people make such a big deal out of this feature. It's pretty usless (for me anyways). If I want to send a message someone I'll call them on phone/text them. How much could you possibly have to say to someone playing a different game?

But, It can't hurt to have it.

I would much rather want a party system where people can join a universal party, which has mic support, and you can set weather you want to put everyone into the games voip or keep it private when you join a game.
02-18-2010, 02:25 AM #8
AgentJon
Former Staff
That's all we ask for and now we might have to pay for it.
02-18-2010, 04:59 AM #9
Cryptic
Former Staff | Content Manager
Not surprising and I was expecting it. A lot of the features we want, and that the 360 already has (FROM THE START BTW), we [free users] will sadly NEVER experience without paying.

It's hard when you are losing money on every console sold. Got to make it up some how. Now any basic High School business math lessons have taught most of you that a company that large has a hell of a lot of overhead (The cost of running a business), and if you offer a product, no matter how well it sells, if you are losing money on everyone sold, it hurts a large company like that, especially if they rely on a product like that so heavily.

Personally I will have to see how much their services are going to cost.

Sorry, I am not going to sugar coat it, like everyone else (various sites, Sony themselves, etc) is doing.

PAID SUBSCRIPTION/REQUIREMENT PAYING IS COMING TO THE PS3. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when. It's going to happen, and there is nothing we can do about it. No amount of boycotting, protesting, "hate mail", etc. is going to stop it.

So it basically comes down to a decision of who has the better services and/or price...

Sony or Microsoft.

Who's system is going to offer more? (IE. Hacking, games, content, services, premium items, etc.)

I will have to wait it out and see. From some figures I saw a few months ago on QJ (YES THEY ARE A RELIABLE SOURCE OF GAMING NEWS, DEAL WITH IT!), it looks like (as of now) Sony will have the better prices, but it's taking them a hell of a lot of time to get this off the ground and going.

One reason for this is, keep in mind this is personal opinion and may not/is not the actual reason, I feel they know what this will do to their system and online service. Sony is famous (and to 360 fanboys, Microsoft, IW, 360 Users, etc) notorious for it's "Free Online Service" and it's "Free to play online" advertisements. This has contributed a lot for Sony's sales, especially in low income families as opposed to the 360.

Now this is not a 360 rant. Look at the facts, to get a 360 to a moderate gaming use, you have to invest well over another 100 dollars into it, regardless of the model you bought. The PS3 is ready to play right out of the box. No wireless adapter, headsets, hard drives are needed to be purchased to get it going.

Now, what I think Sony should do, is use the "Premium Services"/"Subscription Services" as a DRASTIC LAST RESORT method to help curve the loss they are receiving on the PS3.

They should look into other methods of cutting their overhead and to compensate for the loss of revenue from the PS3. Sadly, a price increase of the PS3 is out of the question. Unlike other simpler retail items where prices can raise and drop, the PS3 is just too big of a "high profile" item to raise the price back up. Once the price of a console has dropped, it can only continue to drop (in theory).

I am not exactly sure how Sony could cut their overhead, but I feel that these "services"/"subscriptions" should be their DRASTIC LAST RESORT EFFORT.
02-18-2010, 05:07 AM #10
gamekilla
★☆NGU Member☆★
Originally posted by evan94 View Post
What the hell? Paid PSN?

Why are they doing this?

well if they do charge i bet u will end up paying for month!

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo