02-02-2011, 02:01 AM #1
CLM
[b]They say sorry Mr. West is..[/b]
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Interview With magglass1
Featuring: You must login or register to view this content. // By: ClutchLikeMelo // February 1, 2011

As many of you may know magglass1 is our server admin. He keeps this site running smooth and clean. A lot of you are quick to point fingers when the site lags but don't actually know how much work he puts into this site.

I decided to have a interview with him since he has to spend most his time keep the site running rather than making posts. By the end of this thread I hope you've learned a little more about one of the most underrated staff members Winky Winky

Enjoy!

[multipage=The Interview] The Interview

Me: What's your name?
magglass1: Mark

Me: How old are you?
magglass1: 23

Me: How old were you when you joined NGU?
magglass1: 20

Me: How would you describe yourself in a paragraph? (Laid back, tired, etc.)
magglass1: I'm pretty laid back but get easily excited over subjects I'm passionate about. I'm a problem solver, so I like to tinker with things and learn how they work.

Me: What is something you've always wanted to do?
magglass1: Throughout my life I've lived in many different places, including some time in Turkey and Germany, and I'd like the chance to visit Australia and Japan.

Me: What's your favorite movie?
magglass1: The Matrix

Me: What's your favorite sport?
magglass1: To watch? Hockey. To play? Racquetball.

Me: What's your favorite food to eat?
magglass1: Ribeye steak

Me: Whats your favorite hobby?
magglass1: Programming and hacking (as Stallman would put it, "Playfully doing something difficult, whether useful or not, that is hacking.")

Me: Do you know Outsider or any other staff member in real life?
magglass1: No, I have not had the chance to meet any of the NGU staff in person.

Me: Any reason you chose magglass1 as your name?
magglass1: I've been using this username since 1997 and it stands for magnifying glass. I guess the 1 just means I'm the first and only.

Me: What is your favorite video game?
magglass1: I have to pick just one? When I have time, I enjoy playing Team Fortress 2, Left4Dead 2, and Armagetron Advanced. Half Life 2 is also a fun series and I've played through all the episodes.

Me: Do you ever browse the forums?
magglass1: I like to browse through the Computer Lounge but haven't had much time for that recently.

Me: What is something you've wanted to see on this site for awhile? (Can be a new forum, NGU online games, etc)
magglass1: I would be interested in having a Linux section in the Computer Lounge for people who use or are interested in Linux to chat.

Me: Do you hack games or are you more of a legit player?
magglass1: That depends on the game. I've made some modifications for games, but only PC games. I've made aim bots, modified the code to opensource games, and played around with different methods of automation to have a program play a game for me.

Me: When did you get promoted to server admin?
magglass1: I've been the server admin (and an admin on the forum) ever since I joined. Outsider came to me looking for someone to manage the NGU server(s) after they quickly outgrew the capacity of shared hosting accounts.

Me: How did you get noticed for your sever skills?
magglass1: Outsider and I have a mutual friend that referred me.

Me: Other than the recent host change we had can we expect any more changes to the server?
magglass1: Well what most people don't know is that we only tried that out for a day then switched back to the old setup, possibly without people noticing. We're currently on the old setup but with some performance improvements discovered during the test that should increase the total number of users that can browse NGU without any lag.

Me: When did you start learning about computers and servers and what motivated you to learn?
magglass1:My family's first computer was a Macintosh 512K with 512KB of memory and an 8MHz processor that was purchased before I was born. In 1997, we purchased our first IBM compatible PC running Windows 95 with 96MB of RAM and a 200MHz processor. I spent quite some time using that computer screwing things up and then learning how to fix them. I was also introduced to my first programming language, QBasic, and quickly learned the basics of programming, skills I still use today. Sometime around 2004 I began experimenting with Linux and started using CentOS 3. I was drawn by the control and customizability that Linux gives the user compared to the limited modification allowed in other operating systems. Around that time I started a small web hosting business that I used to further my knowledge of Linux and opensource web technologies such as PHP and MySQL.

Me: I know how much hard work you put into NGU but what do you like to do with your free time?
magglass1: Most of my free time is spent on the computer either programming, learning about new technologies, or talking with friends. I also enjoy playing racquetball and going on bike rides.

Me: When the other admins are planning to bring an update or something new, do they run them with you as well?
magglass1: I'm not usually involved with the day-to-day site administrative tasks like that, but if they need an IP ban or something that needs to be done on the server I'll help out. Most vBulletin updates don't require my involvement, but certain changes require certain software installed on the server. I also keep all the server software up to date and running optimally.

Me: Do we have any time frame for vb4?
magglass1: Since vb4 is such a major change, I will likely be involved in the upgrade process. At this time there is no estimate as to when we will upgrade to vb4.

Me: How do you think the servers will handle vb4?
magglass1: vb4 should include some changes to the database that will help speed things up, so performance should be slightly better.

Me: What would you do for a klondike bar?
magglass1: Kill a polar bear.

There you have it folks! An interview with magglass1 himself!

[multipage=Conclusion] Conclusion

I hope you guys liked this interview! I plan on doing several of these with some other staff members! I chose magglass1 as my first guest due to how little recognition he gets for all he does.

Anyways now you know a little more about our great server admin magglass1! He's a simple, laid back, guy just like most of us. Without him this site just wouldn't be the same.

If you get the chance, go and You must login or register to view this content. him for all the work he put's into the site. I'd like to thank magglass1 right now for the interview and all his work!

:beer:

The following 35 users say thank you to CLM for this useful post:

-J-, Ahsoka Tano, Alpha, Anthony., chris2595, chrisdogg, Chrome, Correy, Cpt.S, Drackos, effinTyler, Extractz92, Febreze, FlashOSX, ii-ownaged-iixx, The Epic, Justin, LordOlliee, Mr.Houston, Mr.Pure420, MrJC, Mw2Freak13, NeedaFlameSoon, Night Wolf, NorskTnaka, pwnage4life62, Rokiz, the stuff, TheFuhrer, TheSouthpaw, Tree, tylerallmighty, ViiZiiKz, Xbox 180, xRafiq-
02-02-2011, 02:11 AM #2
Luffy*
i'M NoT goNNa LiE
Well, Thanks for your time Mag Smile
Good thing we have you to help run this site nice and smooth :P
02-02-2011, 02:11 AM #3
gopher517
CCCP: AK47 IS THE TOOL
lmao @ last one
02-02-2011, 02:12 AM #4
CLM
Originally posted by gopher517 View Post
lmao @ last one

I just had to ask :carling:
02-02-2011, 02:12 AM #5
Nice thread, and thanks magglass1 Happy, for keeping the server kitteh off my computer....
02-02-2011, 02:17 AM #6
Chrome
At least I can fight
Hope this clears up stuff for the people that keep asking who he is/what he does. Overall, nice thread. I found out some stuff I never knew about him Happy.
02-02-2011, 02:32 AM #7
TheBigRod
uh-may-zuh-zing
Is this news?..
Not to be a troll or anything, but it has nothing to do with videogames..

The following user thanked TheBigRod for this useful post:

Samberg
02-02-2011, 02:36 AM #8
CLM
Originally posted by TheBigRod View Post
Is this news?..
Not to be a troll or anything, but it has nothing to do with videogames..

I was waiting for someone to ask that. Well in the News Team Discussions, Jim wrote only post stuff relating to NGU in featured news.
02-02-2011, 02:42 AM #9
TheBigRod
uh-may-zuh-zing
Originally posted by ClutchLikeMelo View Post
I was waiting for someone to ask that. Well in the News Team Discussions, Jim wrote only post stuff relating to NGU in featured news.

I get that; but it's more of something that is worth news, not saying an interview with magg isn't worth it, but if you look deep into the News Archives or maybe even in Featured News, you'll see 'Unkn0wn Patch Blocker Released' (Jim made it). All I'm saying is, an interview isn't videogame related, hah.. It has nothing to do with videogames at all. This is more of a General Discussion kind of thing.
02-02-2011, 02:45 AM #10
WaZoO
† Nipples+GFX= LIFE †
Wow that's actually really interesting to tell you the truth.
Hey, wanna interview me next? Happy

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo