09-13-2014, 02:57 AM #1
iHaxel
We're no strangers to love
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Hello, I'm here to ask a few questions cause I have never done this before.

So lately, My PS3 has been giving me some really high temperature. It's usually 78-83, that's the average. With Fan Control Utility, it goes around 75-80.

I've decided to put on some thermal paste, I own a PHAT PS3.

I'd just like to ask which one I should buy?

You must login or register to view this content.

or

Do they make any differences? Since I'm only doing this just to fix my overheating issues, not YLOD.

Also, one last question. If I do get one of them, do I simply follow the steps of fixing a YLOD PS3?

Thanks, sorry for being such a noob.
Have never done this before.
09-13-2014, 11:49 AM #2
SONY
Brute
Originally posted by iHaxel View Post
Hello, I'm here to ask a few questions cause I have never done this before.

So lately, My PS3 has been giving me some really high temperature. It's usually 78-83, that's the average. With Fan Control Utility, it goes around 75-80.

or

Do they make any differences? Since I'm only doing this just to fix my overheating issues, not YLOD.

Also, one last question. If I do get one of them, do I simply follow the steps of fixing a YLOD PS3?

Have you got the Arctic Silver Cleaning set? They're 2 small bottles that you'll need to clean the Chips first...

But if I were you I would personally go with mayonnaise or Arctic Silver 5 or just look up some thermal compound charts Winky Winky

Btw you don't need a torx screw driver to open the long screw on your ps3 just a knife or small flat head screwdriver

The following user thanked SONY for this useful post:

iHaxel
09-13-2014, 12:29 PM #3
iHaxel
Originally posted by SONY View Post
Have you got the Arctic Silver Cleaning set? They're 2 small bottles that you'll need to clean the Chips first...

But if I were you I would personally go with mayonnaise or Arctic Silver 5 or just look up some thermal compound charts Winky Winky

Btw you don't need a torx screw driver to open the long screw on your ps3 just a knife or small flat head screwdriver

I haven't gotten anything let, and alright. I think I will go with Artic Silver.

Mind telling me what I should get?

So, Artic Silver Thermal Paste 5, and a Cleaning Kit. I thought that by buying kits, it would save me some more money. Since I live in Hong Kong and shipping are pretty expensive if I buy on eBay.
09-13-2014, 10:56 PM #4
SONY
Brute
I haven't gotten anything let, and alright. I think I will go with Artic Silver.

Mind telling me what I should get?

So, Artic Silver Thermal Paste 5, and a Cleaning Kit. I thought that by buying kits, it would save me some more money. Since I live in Hong Kong and shipping are pretty expensive if I buy on eBay.

Arctic Silver 5 And it's £10 on amazon with the cleaning stuff

I changed mine and check some techniques on how to apply the paste to minimise air bubbles.

Also clean your heat sinks and fan (air blower) and any other dust and the vents of the case

Also use a knife or small flat head screw driver to open the four long black screws to save money.

The following user thanked SONY for this useful post:

iHaxel
09-14-2014, 01:11 AM #5
iHaxel
Arctic Silver 5 And it's £10 on amazon with the cleaning stuff

I changed mine and check some techniques on how to apply the paste to minimise air bubbles.

Also clean your heat sinks and fan (air blower) and any other dust and the vents of the case

Also use a knife or small flat head screw driver to open the four long black screws to save money.

Thanks for your kind reply.

Is this ok?

The following user thanked iHaxel for this useful post:

SONY
09-14-2014, 03:12 PM #6
SONY
Brute
Thanks for your kind reply.

Is this ok?

Yh that's the same as mine Winky Winky
09-14-2014, 03:31 PM #7
iHaxel
Yh that's the same as mine Winky Winky

Alright, thanks for your kind support. Smile

The following user thanked iHaxel for this useful post:

SONY
10-02-2014, 04:27 AM #8
Slick
Anxiety
Hello, I'm here to ask a few questions cause I have never done this before.

or

I know that your not doing this because of YLOD but my ps3 has gotten it before and I have fixed it temporarily using arctic silver 5, but it only lasted a week. Now I bought some new thermal paste... It's called Arctic Cooling MX-2. Now when I used that stuff my ps3 lasted a whole month. Now it also depends on how much and how evenly u spread it on the cpu and gpu. Just put a thin and even layer and u should be good. So I would go with Arctic Cooling MX-2, as it's a newer thermal paste and has proven to work better (for me at least). Hope this helps! Happy

The following user thanked Slick for this useful post:

iHaxel
10-02-2014, 05:10 AM #9
Default Avatar
Oneup
Originally posted by I View Post
I know that your not doing this because of YLOD but my ps3 has gotten it before and I have fixed it temporarily using arctic silver 5, but it only lasted a week. Now I bought some new thermal paste... It's called Arctic Cooling MX-2. Now when I used that stuff my ps3 lasted a whole month. Now it also depends on how much and how evenly u spread it on the cpu and gpu. Just put a thin and even layer and u should be good. So I would go with Arctic Cooling MX-2, as it's a newer thermal paste and has proven to work better (for me at least). Hope this helps! Happy

You shouldn't be putting it on as a layer. You put in a small dab in the center and the heatsink will spread it across.

The following user thanked Oneup for this useful post:

iHaxel
10-02-2014, 06:11 AM #10
Slick
Anxiety
Originally posted by 1UP View Post
You shouldn't be putting it on as a layer. You put in a small dab in the center and the heatsink will spread it across.

Well tell the guy that made this thread that... Not me. I do it my own way and I was just telling him how I did it, which worked.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo