03-07-2019, 02:59 AM #1
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Does anyone have Challenge Trophy? for the The Witness game (part of free game on plus membership)

Because Challenge is hard and it's very random.

Because that's my last trophy to get.

It would be helpful if you have incomplete Challenge that is last puzzle and complete it and get trophy.

The following 3 users say thank you to JamesPet for this useful post:

ragyksa111, taker1990, turki379
03-09-2019, 04:53 PM #2
aeneax
Nothing To See Here
I would love for someone to prove me wrong, but I do not think a save can help with The Challenge other than granting faster access to it by being at the end of the game. The problem is that the trophy pops as you finish the very last puzzle in the set, not upon entering the room that's unlocked or anything else, and there is absolutely no way to save your game from the start of each attempt until the end of that attempt without failing. The reason is if you pause, close the application, go to your home screen, or even enter rest mode the Challenge's timer will either stop entirely (failing the Challenge) or will keep going, depending on what you've done. For instance, if you pause it's an instant fail. If you rest mode, I think it keeps going, if not it's an instant fail. To save your game you would need to close the application, which would be instant fail. And since the puzzles reset and randomize for each attempt, nobody could even upload a save saying "here's the solution for all the puzzles you're about to have on this save."

If you're on version 1.01 or lower, on PS4, entering rest mode would suspend the timer so people used to be able to take a picture of the puzzle, solve it on paper or computer, go back into the game, rinse and repeat. But since there is no physical version I am aware of, and since current version is 1.05 and this has been patched on 1.02 - and was never an exploit on Xbox or PC - and you're speaking of it being free on PSN, I'm guessing this is not available to you. Even with that exploit, a lot of people found it easier to use it as little as often because too much time was lost taking the pictures, entering into rest mode and coming back from it (timer was going even when you couldn't see the puzzle, if there was power going to PS4).

Best advice I can give you if you go for this is below.

First, a lot of people giving out advice on this will give the really unhelpful advice that the best way to prepare for The Challenge is to have played through the game without a walkthrough. The vast majority of people looking for help have already played through the game with a walkthrough so I don't see how that helps them. It's too late. Besides, of all of the puzzles in the main game, a good bit less than half are actually relevant to the puzzles in the Challenge, and even the ones that actually would have prepared you are much bigger and much more complicated than the ones you would face in the Challenge. So ignore them. Pretty much everyone struggles with this, whether or not they used a walkthrough - some just have to learn from scratch in a way, and others have a bit of a head start.

Second, you will have to understand how the puzzles work, but you won't have a lot of time during each attempt itself to figure them out. Sure, you can read up on how each puzzle works, but the second you know you're on a timer and you're looking at that puzzle and you're just trying to figure out which type of puzzle it is (in the early stages of learning), a lot of that knowledge is going to leave your brain pretty quickly. That's when a lot of people give up, but there's a really helpful trick: Online puzzle solvers designed exclusively for this game.

Depending on your comfort level with the different puzzle types - you have to have at least some if this is your last trophy, since you've already done 2 timed puzzles to reach the end of the game itself - for the ones that trip you up even a little bit or you think they might, figure out the fastest way you can capture an image of your screen and view it on your computer. Maybe you're lucky and have a gaming capture device. Another way would be a computer with an hdmi cable hooked up to your PS4, and video capture software that can take a screenshot. Maybe remote play works for this. Taking a picture with your phone, although be aware that the colors might come out a bit different. Maybe your tv itself takes screenshots (although remember you want to be able to view that screenshot when working at a computer). Just whatever is fastest and most efficient and allows clear images with color you can correctly identify for color-based puzzles.

And google "the witness puzzle solver". One of the first results is a fantastic piece of software that is designed to solve virtually any type of puzzle in the game. There's an html version, and a version you can download as a zip file. Use the downloaded zip, because that is more up to date and the html one lacks most types of puzzles. This one may or may not support the triangle puzzles - I cannot recall - which you need to do in "the maze" (the fourth puzzle shows you the layout of the maze, usually easy, including where the puzzles are in the maze and entrance and exit are always the same). If it does not support the triangle puzzle, there's a program that only does triangle puzzles, in Chinese but even more simple to use, that you can find on other sites.

So the idea is this: After each failed attempt, take those screenshots back to your computer, and for the puzzle you could not get past, or any puzzle you did get past but you're not quite sure why (you just got lucky), configure the puzzle solver for it (takes like a minute or 2 per puzzle), and have the computer solve it. Look at it - now there''s no timer - and just try to figure out WHY that solution works. And just do this, over and over.

It will sink in, trust me. Between actually doing them yourself, and seeing the computer do them between attempts, you will come to understand the puzzles really well. Maybe in your first 10 attempts you don't get past a single green puzzle. That's absolutely fine. Maybe it takes you a day to even get to the maze. Just know that it's gradually working.

Eventually, you want to be at the point where you can look at most types of puzzles and get them either off the bat or as you're doing them. It will not feel, at the start, that you will ever, ever get to that point - trust me - but you can. Some types of puzzles will trip you up more than others. For me, I have to get really lucky on the "tetris" puzzles (tetrominoes really, if you're a d!ck about it, but come on, "tetris is good enough). If I got a really easy one, I was fine. The other 4 out of 5 times, I probably reset the puzzle. For other people, they understand that type of puzzle really well but not others that to me are just as easy as can be. Everyone's brain works differently.

Make sure you save a screenshot of the maze and refer to it if needed when going through so you can quickly find the triangle puzzles, then get through to the exit as quickly as possible. Usually, one will be easy and one will be a bit hard, but eventually these will just click too, and even before then you can often just get lucky on the hard one a good deal of the time. Hours before my first successful run, I still made it to the pillar room maybe 2 out of 5 times I made it to the maze.

The pillar room, if you make it that far, DO NOT GIVE UP. The reason I say that is because there, you've already figured out everything you possibly can, and from then on out it's usually up to luck. Those puzzles are just bad. But you can get lucky, too. The one on the left is usually but not always the worst one, and the one on the right is usually the easier one. If you need a confidence booster, try solving the right one first from time to time just to show yourself you can do the pillar room, but I would concentrate mostly on the left pillar. The one on the right, since it's just black and white blocks, it comes down to where the lines need to go, and if you go around just a little bit from left to right you can quickly see how many of each there are and make a VERY quick guess as to where the line should go. You can spend the time if you want to figure it out, but often trying like 3 or 4 times in a row - each attempt is super quick - is faster than really thinking about it, and unless it's a hard one you're bound to get it in the first 4 attempts or hopefully sooner. Just draw that line fast around blocks in different configurations.

For the one on the left, where you have to make the lines (both pillar puzzles are symmetry) snake through all the dots, the best possible way it can be configured is for both lines to start at the bottom and very close to each other. If they start at the bottom but on opposite sides you can still do it, but you won't see as well. If they both start near the top, that's a tough one. But if both at the bottom near each other, that one's actually really easy most of the time.

So basically, once you've learned how to GET to the pillar room, you're just hoping to have left pillar be in the best of 3 possible configurations, pillar on the right to be easy (and 3 out of 4 times it is), and to have enough time left to actually do them.

OR, you could just give this one a pass. I'm positive you can do it, but the question is whether it is worth it. Anyway, I hope this helps. And again, if someone proves me wrong on saves helping here - besides just giving faster access to the record player - I'd be quite happy.

Good luck.

The following user thanked aeneax for this useful post:

indysgill

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo