Post: Full Review | PS4 Hacking Presentation CCC Talk | Team Fail0verflow
12-28-2016, 01:52 AM #1
Hydrogen
Super Mod
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Introduction

Have you ever wanted to get some nice information over the PS4 by some great developers? Well today is your lucky day! PS4 Hacking Presentation was streaming the full review today over the PS4 Hacking, and more consoles being hacked. We're sticking with the PS4 soon, and i'll see if I go over the 3DS soon. So i'll go ahead, and break the whole presentation down, if any of you have feedback or what not. Feel free to post down in the comments down below. Pretty good start for the PS4, and maybe we can see some more stuff later on in the future for 2017!

Hacker Marcan of Team Fail0verflow has gone over a bunch of things of the Playstation 4 Console, and how they worked on it by reverse-engineering it. Today I bring you the thread that covers most of it from his presentation! Trying to translate his words from the presentation so you can get a deep understanding of it, and learn more about it of course! I wont be going over everything, but it will mostly be everything said by Marcan at the CCC33!

FULL PRESENTATION SLIDES CAN BE FOUND HERE: You must login or register to view this content.

You must login or register to view this content.

Gentoo Linux Boot - PS4: PC Master Race

Team Fail0verflow introduces the presentation by turning on the Playstation 4 console, and booting up Gentoo Linux on 4.05 Firmware.

PS4's Motherboard

Marcan covers the PS4 Motherboard, and what it is / used in the console. We wont go over the whole presentation, but I will provide the presentation links so you can go check for yourself, and the whole video of him explaining it can be found below as well. So the Motherboard part is just a little small tease for you to learn of off here on NGU! Down below shows exactly what Marcan had to say about the PS4 Motherboard. You can find everything else in the video/presentation link!

Aeloia Southbridge

• This is a codename for the PS4's Motherboard. This connects to a bunch of things such as the USB Ports, Hard Disk -- it has SATA.

Liverpool APU

• This is the main processor for the PS4 (GPU & CPU) which is done by AMD.

Blu-Ray

• The Blu-Ray Drive SATA connected from the Southbridge

Wi-Fi Bluetooth

• The eye on the internet is GM III.

How do we attack one of these? Which ones do we attack?

Most of the Internet Interfaces -- are CPU Controlled. The CPU issue commands, and devices replies. Devices can't really do anything so you can't break the memory. You can exploit USB behind a bug in the USB Driver, but we're back to the no code issue. So DDR5, that'd be great, we can just write to our own memory, and basically only the entire thing, but it's a very high speed. It's very exploitable if you're making a secure system. Don't assume they can't own DDR5, because we will, but it's not the path of last resistance, so they're not going to do that.

There's a thing called PCI Express in the middle of the photo shown above of the PS4's Motherboard. PCIE is very fun for hacking even though it might seem intimidating because it's bus mastering that means you can DMA the memory. It's complicated, and most things are complicated to implement properly. It's robust, people think that PC is who do high-speed. It's not, its high-speed, but you don't need matched traces to make it work it will run over wet string; like you can hot-wire PCIE with pieces of wire, and it will work at least at short distances maybe it's not bad as you think.

It's delayed tolerant so you can take your time to reply, and the drivers are for failed, because nobody writes a PCIE Driver assuming that the devices are evil though of course everyone should because the devices can and will be evil, but nobody does that.

What is PCIE?

Conclusion

There is a TON more they had gone over with as well. Marcan provided us the slides of his whole presentation for you to go check out, (incase you want to lurk around and learn a few things Winky Winky).

Furthermore, he also provided us a few informational links for us if we ever needed them which you can find here down below!

[url=github.com/fail0verflow/ps4-kexec]GitHub Fail0verflow's PS4-Kexec[/url]

• kexec and hardware reconfiguration / "bootloader" code

[url=github.com/fail0verflow/ps4-linux] GitHub Fail0verflows PS4-Linux[/url]

• Kernel tree

[url=github.com/fail0verflow/ps4-radeon-patches]Fail0verflow's PS4 Radeon Patches[/url]

• Userspace library patches

[url=github.com/fail0verflow/radeon-tools]Radeon Tools[/url]

• f32dis and RAI tools

He demonstrated himself getting on 4.05 Linux through of course his PS4's Web Browser which you can see for youself with the video i'll provide down below by @You must login or register to view this content.! Thank you to him for cutting the video for exactly the PS4 Hacking Presentation which shows you Marcan explaining about the whole thing. Now, you might say that is amazing, but don't worry. He wasn't the only one that actually got it running on 4.05. We all know @You must login or register to view this content. do we now? He was also one of the first to boot linux on Day 1 for the PS4 4.05 Update!

Once again, STEAM was ran on the PS4 Console playing Portal 2 confirming the 3D Drivers working by Marcan! Marcan also showed comparison of PCs / PS4. PS4 is NOT a PC!

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Senaxx/status/813874967746113536?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw[/tweet]

Full PS4 Hacking Presentation by Marcan Here Below!

Follow Marcan on Social Media for more information towards the PS4 Console:

Twitter: @You must login or register to view this content. / @You must login or register to view this content.
Last edited by Hydrogen ; 12-28-2016 at 02:33 AM. Reason: Adding things!

The following 5 users say thank you to Hydrogen for this useful post:

Algebra, Dog88Christian, Frosty, MrNiato2, val26
12-28-2016, 02:32 AM #2
Hydrogen
Super Mod
Originally posted by Vince
Great thread.
Not as glorious as the PC Master Race

We all have our opinions on what's more glorious now do we Winky Winky
12-28-2016, 05:51 AM #3
Fimox
Gobble
The first 10mn are really interesting: now we know that they have a trick to write to the memory through PCie.

THIS has to be digged further:

That also means hardware modification (wires, soldering, PI rasberry ...?) and the last .nfo from TRSi makes sense ("beware of modifications...").

The following user thanked Fimox for this useful post:

Yolo Brahs !
12-28-2016, 11:33 AM #4
Originally posted by Hydrogen View Post
Introduction

Have you ever wanted to get some nice information over the PS4 by some great developers? Well today is your lucky day! PS4 Hacking Presentation was streaming the full review today over the PS4 Hacking, and more consoles being hacked. We're sticking with the PS4 soon, and i'll see if I go over the 3DS soon. So i'll go ahead, and break the whole presentation down, if any of you have feedback or what not. Feel free to post down in the comments down below. Pretty good start for the PS4, and maybe we can see some more stuff later on in the future for 2017!

Hacker Marcan of Team Fail0verflow has gone over a bunch of things of the Playstation 4 Console, and how they worked on it by reverse-engineering it. Today I bring you the thread that covers most of it from his presentation! Trying to translate his words from the presentation so you can get a deep understanding of it, and learn more about it of course! I wont be going over everything, but it will mostly be everything said by Marcan at the CCC33!

FULL PRESENTATION SLIDES CAN BE FOUND HERE: You must login or register to view this content.

Gentoo Linux Boot - PS4: PC Master Race

Team Fail0verflow introduces the presentation by turning on the Playstation 4 console, and booting up Gentoo Linux on 4.05 Firmware.

PS4's Motherboard

Marcan covers the PS4 Motherboard, and what it is / used in the console. We wont go over the whole presentation, but I will provide the presentation links so you can go check for yourself, and the whole video of him explaining it can be found below as well. So the Motherboard part is just a little small tease for you to learn of off here on NGU! Down below shows exactly what Marcan had to say about the PS4 Motherboard. You can find everything else in the video/presentation link!

Aeloia Southbridge

• This is a codename for the PS4's Motherboard. This connects to a bunch of things such as the USB Ports, Hard Disk -- it has SATA.

Liverpool APU

• This is the main processor for the PS4 (GPU & CPU) which is done by AMD.

Blu-Ray

• The Blu-Ray Drive SATA connected from the Southbridge

Wi-Fi Bluetooth

• The eye on the internet is GM III.

How do we attack one of these? Which ones do we attack?

Most of the Internet Interfaces -- are CPU Controlled. The CPU issue commands, and devices replies. Devices can't really do anything so you can't break the memory. You can exploit USB behind a bug in the USB Driver, but we're back to the no code issue. So DDR5, that'd be great, we can just write to our own memory, and basically only the entire thing, but it's a very high speed. It's very exploitable if you're making a secure system. Don't assume they can't own DDR5, because we will, but it's not the path of last resistance, so they're not going to do that.

There's a thing called PCI Express in the middle of the photo shown above of the PS4's Motherboard. PCIE is very fun for hacking even though it might seem intimidating because it's bus mastering that means you can DMA the memory. It's complicated, and most things are complicated to implement properly. It's robust, people think that PC is who do high-speed. It's not, its high-speed, but you don't need matched traces to make it work it will run over wet string; like you can hot-wire PCIE with pieces of wire, and it will work at least at short distances maybe it's not bad as you think.

It's delayed tolerant so you can take your time to reply, and the drivers are for failed, because nobody writes a PCIE Driver assuming that the devices are evil though of course everyone should because the devices can and will be evil, but nobody does that.

What is PCIE?

Conclusion

There is a TON more they had gone over with as well. Marcan provided us the slides of his whole presentation for you to go check out, (incase you want to lurk around and learn a few things Winky Winky).

Furthermore, he also provided us a few informational links for us if we ever needed them which you can find here down below!

[url=github.com/fail0verflow/ps4-kexec]GitHub Fail0verflow's PS4-Kexec[/url]

• kexec and hardware reconfiguration / "bootloader" code

[url=github.com/fail0verflow/ps4-linux] GitHub Fail0verflows PS4-Linux[/url]

• Kernel tree

[url=github.com/fail0verflow/ps4-radeon-patches]Fail0verflow's PS4 Radeon Patches[/url]

• Userspace library patches

[url=github.com/fail0verflow/radeon-tools]Radeon Tools[/url]

• f32dis and RAI tools

He demonstrated himself getting on 4.05 Linux through of course his PS4's Web Browser which you can see for youself with the video i'll provide down below by @You must login or register to view this content.! Thank you to him for cutting the video for exactly the PS4 Hacking Presentation which shows you Marcan explaining about the whole thing. Now, you might say that is amazing, but don't worry. He wasn't the only one that actually got it running on 4.05. We all know @You must login or register to view this content. do we now? He was also one of the first to boot linux on Day 1 for the PS4 4.05 Update!

Once again, STEAM was ran on the PS4 Console playing Portal 2 confirming the 3D Drivers working by Marcan! Marcan also showed comparison of PCs / PS4. PS4 is NOT a PC!

[tweet]https://twitter.com/Senaxx/status/813874967746113536?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw[/tweet]

Full PS4 Hacking Presentation by Marcan Here Below!

Follow Marcan on Social Media for more information towards the PS4 Console:

Twitter: @You must login or register to view this content. / @You must login or register to view this content.

Nice Hydro! Woot

Edit: Portal 2 on PS4? Holeeeeee! Gasp
Last edited by Frosty ; 12-28-2016 at 11:42 AM.
12-29-2016, 09:23 AM #5
excuse me but i think i may of created a solution to ps4 being hard to hack i recently created a breaching algorithm that i later turned into a worm virus that was successfully able to breach the playstation 4's firmware by disguising itself as a local file it was able to make minor changes to the playstation such as time of day, the color of the theme, and even switched the logos for games around on the home screen but when i tried to make it do bigger things it fried the playstation, if i am able to work out the kinks and well bigger kinks mabye just mabye, i could make it change the firmware within the system turning it into custom firmware by making it appear as if it were still the same if you understand my idea, making it invisible to the playstation but at the same time allowing it to run other programs such as hack tools mod menus i know its a lot of work so thats why i am here i require the assistance of someone who thinks they might have the skill set for this i have recently tried the dark web forums but not many people there have experience with console hacking as it different to the programming that they are use to and i figured this could be a great place to start if you would like you get in contact with me email me at: [email][email protected][/email]
P.S If you do get in contact with me and i do not reply withing 24 hours for the next 7 days thats because i am in another country.
Last edited by Unanimous ; 12-29-2016 at 09:26 AM.
12-31-2016, 06:11 PM #6
Jincos
Do a barrel roll!
Too bad this group doesn't release anything and never will.
12-31-2016, 06:33 PM #7
yip no jailbreak for us :(
01-02-2017, 10:29 AM #8
Fimox
Gobble
Zecoxao today:

&

"PCIedevices can access memory
directly if the IOMMU is not used"

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo