12-20-2013, 09:55 PM #1
Alt
Banned
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
Originally posted by another user
“I get asked a lot if we’ve created an artificial shortage in order to create a feeding frenzy, and the answer is no,” he explained on the PlayStation Blogcast. “We have competition out there and there are lots of things that people can spend money on. The holidays only come around once a year, so that’s when we really want to take advantage of the market opportunity."

According to Tretton, the firm made 12,000 units available to Amazon.com last week, and they all sold out within 27 minutes. “It breaks my heart if somebody’s got $400 in their hand and they want a PS4 but we can't sell them one, so we’re going to try very hard to make sure that we can,” he stressed. “I don’t have a device yet because I said to sell it.”

On any other month, I personally would have given the artificial shortage rumor a little more credence, but seeing as it's December, it just doesn't sound practical and I'd even go as far to call the rumor ludicrous. This isn't the month to play marketing games in exchange for a little extra hype. It's December, and they would make a lot more money just by selling directly instead of doing these schemes to "possibly sell more in the future". Of course, there is still the possibility, after all, they are the professionals and obviously they would know a hell of a lot more about the market than I do. Still, just in a general sense, it seems like the most reasonable perspective. Also, I think it's pretty commendable that even Jack Tretton doesn't have a unit yet, just so all the units can be sold to fans.

Your thoughts?
12-21-2013, 12:52 AM #2
ResistTheSun
In Flames Much?
Given how most stores don't have demo units, going with no.
Not sure how people decided this was logical because it's not, Sony need units on the ground and games follow. I have seen a ton of stores without demo units the xbox one has been in every store with a demo unit.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo