03-20-2016, 11:05 PM #1
Passion
League Champion
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); So i made a file uploader, turns out i didn't block PHP Execution & other harmful execution. and got my site 'shelled'.
How is this harmful? Well people can view all your folders, and got access to your directory & a bunch of other stuff. They can basically 'deface' your site.
This little trick prevents PHP execution & other harmful execution on your site(uploads folder)
Create a new file called .htaccess
Place this code in the file

Order Allow,Deny
Deny from all
<FilesMatch "^[^.]+\.(?i:jpe?g|png|gif|pdf|li|rar|zip|txt|vcf|mp3|mp4)$">
Allow from all
</FilesMatch>

Tustin's alternative for nginx users

$file_type = strtolower( end ( explode( ".", $_FILES["avatar"]["name"] ) ) );
if ($file_type === "edat")
{
//do additional checking/move file to public directory
}
Last edited by Passion ; 03-25-2016 at 12:51 AM.

The following 2 users say thank you to Passion for this useful post:

Specter, THΞSPIKYBROHD
03-20-2016, 11:43 PM #2
Passion
League Champion
Also, don't mind the groan it's just some butthurt idiot that groans every thread i create.
03-21-2016, 12:10 AM #3
Tustin
Balls of Steel
Alternatively, if you don't use Apache, you can set this up in your upload script before moving files around:

{
}

Just an alternative if you don't run Apache like I mentioned Smile But imo why not have both just in case.

The following user thanked Tustin for this useful post:

Specter
03-21-2016, 01:15 AM #4
Specter
Pro Memer
Originally posted by Tustin View Post
Alternatively, if you don't use Apache, you can set this up in your upload script before moving files around:

{
}

Just an alternative if you don't run Apache like I mentioned Smile But imo why not have both just in case.

Yeah I don't typically use apache as nginx is much more secure and stable, good post :p
03-25-2016, 12:50 AM #5
Passion
League Champion
Originally posted by Specter View Post
Yeah I don't typically use apache as nginx is much more secure and stable, good post :p

You can still use the .htaccess in nginx and convert the rules to make it work in nginx, atleast that is what i've heard.
03-25-2016, 01:32 AM #6
Specter
Pro Memer
Originally posted by Passion View Post
You can still use the .htaccess in nginx and convert the rules to make it work in nginx, atleast that is what i've heard.

I've never heard of that to be honest I'll have to look into it, when I had to do something like a .htaccess in nginx you have to write the rules in the server blocks (I can't remember where the config file is). Most of the time you want to avoid the use of .htaccess files anyway, they load everytime rather than on restart and are inefficient, hence the saying "If you have to use .htaccess you're probably doing it wrong". Not saying what you did is bad or wrong, but if you can avoid it it's better :p
03-28-2016, 09:40 PM #7
Indie Developer
Reverse Engineer
"secure" :p

But good things mate

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo