06-12-2013, 09:57 PM #1
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Microsoft's Xbox One preorder information page states that the console will only support Live in only 21 countries at launch, and therefore presumably won't work anywhere else.

If you were planning on preordering an Xbox One console, you'd be well advised to do yourself a favor and make sure you live in one of these 21 nations:

Australia
Austria
Belgium
Brazil
Canada
Denmark
Finland
France
Germany
Ireland
Italy
Mexico
Netherlands
New Zealand
Norway
Russia
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
United Kingdom
United States

Why? Because it is in those nations, and those nations only (unless Microsoft changes its mind between now and then) that the Xbox One will be supported through Xbox Live at launch. And since the Xbox One requires online game activation and a daily connection to the central scrutinizer, which I assume must take place via Xbox Live, the unavoidable conclusion is that the console just won't work outside of those countries.

It seems fairly straightforward and yet it's so hard to believe that I can't help thinking that I must be misinterpreting the situation somehow. After all, we're not talking about a lack of support in, say, Equitorial Guinea or the Pitcairn Islands; the list omits nations like Portugal, Japan, Ukraine, Greece and Poland, ironically the homeland of Witcher 3 developer CD Projekt. These are potentially huge chunks of the international market that Microsoft appears to be willfully and completely bypassing.

It's possible that a stopgap plan will be put into place to enable the system's functionality in non-Live regions, although no mention of such a thing is made on the site. It does warn, however, that "Xbox One games are for activation and distribution only in specified geographic regions."

You must login or register to view this content.

---------- Post added at 11:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 PM ----------

The following 3 users say thank you to Cyberix for this useful post:

Jango, Swifter
06-12-2013, 10:21 PM #2
ClutchNastii671
★ Eat Clen Tren Hard ★

hehehehehehe

The following 2 users say thank you to ClutchNastii671 for this useful post:

-Skyline, Swifter
06-12-2013, 10:31 PM #3
Swifter
The Swift One
Huh wow..... Hmm also you'd think Japan & maybe China would be in that list, but no.

Anyway another stupid dumb-ass move by Microsoft pushes Sony's PS4 ever so closer to victory! :p
Last edited by Swifter ; 06-12-2013 at 10:52 PM.
06-12-2013, 10:33 PM #4
Jango
I love my kitteh
Haha I want to watch microsoft burn in the console market.
06-12-2013, 10:35 PM #5
chessel
Bounty hunter
PS4 for the win!
06-12-2013, 10:49 PM #6
ResistTheSun
In Flames Much?
Same the xbox release, 360 , PS3 and PS4 guys!
Certain services won't be up and running until the servers go live in these nations. XBL is supported in 41 nations so about half won't be able to go online with new console at launch. PSN is 63 countries I doubt all 61 are going to get PSN access at launch.

Remember it a roll out PSN, along with XBL are still adding to the network.

Originally posted by Swifter View Post
Huh wow..... Hmm also you'd think they'd add Japan & maybe China to that list, but no.

Anyway another stupid dumb-ass move by Microsoft pushes Sony's PS4 ever so closer to victory! :p

Given how China had been blocking the console market mixed with japan being a small market it makes no sense but to focus in the core markets.
Most likely going to get access as it rolls out to more, remember not all 41 nations had access to XBL some have only just been added. Same deal with PSN certain nations have only been added to PSN last couple of years.
Last edited by ResistTheSun ; 06-12-2013 at 10:54 PM.

The following user thanked ResistTheSun for this useful post:

Swifter

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo