Post: ZERODIUM's iOS9 Bug Bounty program and why it's such a dick move
09-21-2015, 02:30 PM #1
JB
[i]Remember, no Russian.[/i]
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); I was browsing Twitter before and came across this link: You must login or register to view this content.
The company, ZERODIUM, buys 0days (undisclosed/private exploit vectors in applications/systems) and sells them to developers in order to haver them patched. They recently unveiled "the world's biggest bug bounty program", a program to find bugs in Apple's iOS 9 that allows for code execution/code signing in order to install applications such as Cydia (basically, find a vuln that will pave the way to a jailbreak), with top prize being a cool $1M.

Now, a lot of you will think "Yeah, so what? That's a cool prize and well deserved by anyone who finds such a bug."

You're wrong and I'll explain why as simply as I can. The move this company is doing will tear the jailbreak community apart if the big players sell their research. As of right now, there are only really three grounds actively working on providing jailbreaks to the public - TaiG, Pangu and evad3rs. If all three of those teams sell out, there will be no public iOS 9 jailbreak unless some other group steps up. ZERODIUM won't release any jailbreak to the public, regardless of how many people do sell out. They will sell the vulnerabilities back to Apple, and will likely earn much more than they will be paying out in return.

Also, look at it like this. They are forcing jailbreak teams to choose between money, and keeping the jailbreak community happy. If the teams do sell out and no other group stands up, there literally will not be a jailbreak. Ever. They are forcing these groups to choose between taking the money, and keeping the community happy. And that is just fucking wrong in my book.

I invite everyone who disagrees with me to look at what a jailbreak is, and always has been. It's freedom for your device, always provided freely, no charge, as soon as they possibly can. I really hope the groups don't sell out, or we can say goodbye to the likes of Cydia past iOS 8.4.

The following 5 users say thank you to JB for this useful post:

Dog88Christian, MODZ4FUN420, Specter, xkoeckiiej
09-21-2015, 07:51 PM #20
JB
Originally posted by Alt View Post
So yeah.. do you think this will be the end of jailbreaking for iDevices as we know it?

It's hard to say. I mean, before iOS 7 (and Pangu), there was only really one team in it, iPhone-Dev Team (whom split and formed as evad3rs) then Pangu/TaiG came to light during iOS 7/8. I don't think it's the end of jailbreaking per se as there'll always be someone else learning how to do it. It would be very different if all those teams quit though, less trust and whatnot.
09-21-2015, 07:53 PM #21
Alt
Banned
Originally posted by JB View Post
It's hard to say. I mean, before iOS 7 (and Pangu), there was only really one team in it, iPhone-Dev Team (whom split and formed as evad3rs) then Pangu/TaiG came to light during iOS 7/8. I don't think it's the end of jailbreaking per se as there'll always be someone else learning how to do it. It would be very different if all those teams quit though, less trust and whatnot.

Thats true!
Like Pangu and TaiG came out of the blue with their jailbreaks and they filled the gaps kind of thing between everyone.
09-21-2015, 07:55 PM #22
JB
Thats true!
Like Pangu and TaiG came out of the blue with their jailbreaks and they filled the gaps kind of thing between everyone.

It's a good job too! Chronic-Dev dropped off the map, iH8sn0w doesn't really release anything (even though he demo's jailbreaks), and i0n1c keeps his shit private. Hell, we don't even hear off evad3rs as much any more. It's only a matter of time until someone else steps up to the fray.
09-21-2015, 07:57 PM #23
Alt
Banned
It's a good job too! Chronic-Dev dropped off the map, iH8sn0w doesn't really release anything (even though he demo's jailbreaks), and i0n1c keeps his shit private. Hell, we don't even hear off evad3rs as much any more. It's only a matter of time until someone else steps up to the fray.

IMO it rests with them as they aren't really in it for the money.
We shall soon see when it comes to iOS 9.1 coming out, hopefully a jailbreak will follow!
09-21-2015, 08:00 PM #24
JB
IMO it rests with them as they aren't really in it for the money.
We shall soon see when it comes to iOS 9.1 coming out, hopefully a jailbreak will follow!

I'm sure of it. No group would waste any exploit hole in 9.0 on that release, especially as quite a few things have changed under the hood. When 9.1 comes around, I reckon we'll see action from Pangu or TaiG within a week of release.
09-21-2015, 08:01 PM #25
Alt
Banned
I'm sure of it. No group would waste any exploit hole in 9.0 on that release, especially as quite a few things have changed under the hood. When 9.1 comes around, I reckon we'll see action from Pangu or TaiG within a week of release.

Hope so because I want me some iOS 9 Kryptus
09-21-2015, 08:03 PM #26
JB
Hope so because I want me some iOS 9 Kryptus

I'd love to see what some of the older guys in the scene could do with 9.. would be interesting to see what Geohot could come out with.
09-21-2015, 08:06 PM #27
Alt
Banned
I'd love to see what some of the older guys in the scene could do with 9.. would be interesting to see what Geohot could come out with.

Geohot just slipped off the radar when Sony Sued him, last I heard he was working for Google.

There hasn't been many tweaks that has blown me away kind of thing for ages now. So I wonder what OG's would do with iOS 9 Sal
09-21-2015, 10:04 PM #28
JB
Geohot just slipped off the radar when Sony Sued him, last I heard he was working for Google.

There hasn't been many tweaks that has blown me away kind of thing for ages now. So I wonder what OG's would do with iOS 9 Sal

It would definitely be interesting to see what they could do!

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo