11-10-2010, 11:59 PM #1
PHO3NIX~
Regenerated and Reborn
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); If you are lagging on Black Ops and you know its not your connection causing the problem or if your the host of the game and your still lagging:
Its because there is so many people online who are using up Treyarch's server's resources
Black Ops mainly relys on p2p (peer2peer) connections between a host and other clients. But your ranks, stats, emblems, friend list info, etc... is stored on Treyarch's server's
If there is too many people playing on BO at once, the server's cant handle it and you will receive whats called a "high ping" (won't go into too much detail now)
And also, the game is running too much stuff at once for the PS3 to handle

But we can bypass high ping if we lower the amount of resources the client/host (your ps3) needs
And even when people lose interest in the game and less people are online, your PS3 will still freeze occasionally in menus and take long amount of time to load, because the PS3 can't handle Black Ops effectively

So I am going to address two things with this thread:
1. Server Latency
2. PS3 Tweaking

(If your connection is weak or you have connection problems or you don't know what post forwarding/DMZ is, then this thread isn't for you)

The only way to have a good Latency / low ping is to have a decent connection and to wait for people to lose interest in the game
When there is about 400,000 people online, the game should run smoothly once you get into a game. But this does not solve the issue of slow loading times and freezing in menu's. I am going to discuss how to lower your ping as much as you can at the moment:

The ps3 has a low amount of RAM, 256mb infact.
So it can't do much at the same time. e.g. Can only send 12 messages at a time.
So when Black Ops is constantly updating information about your friends list and your recent players, and their fileshare. And stats, and theatre mode, etc... Then its no surprise your going to experience slow loading times
So the way round it is to minimise the amount it has to do as much as possible. So delete all your received messages on your ps3. And all your sent messages. And delete all unnecessary friends from your list. This will lower your ping, and will decrease loading times in the menus and you will have slightly less lag online

Also when you are in the Playstation Network menu in multiplayer, press select and change the option to "LOCALE ONLY"

If you do as I said, this is what you can expect to happen:

Slightly faster loading times in menus on Black Ops
Your friends list on your XMB will load MUCH FASTER
Your in-game XMB will operate MUCH FASTER
Your ping will be reduced slightly in Black Ops
You will play against players in your country only, so lower ping overall and you can understand each other Winky Winky

This is confirmed to work (by me)
Black Ops was sticking for me and I was experiencing a lot of lag and freezing in menu's. Now I'm experiencing no freezing in menu's. The lag has been reduced, but there is nothing more we can do about that now until there is less strain on the server's.
My in-game XMB is opening/closing much faster
I can send messages much faster
Takes a lot less time to sign in, and my friends list is loaded much faster
Last edited by PHO3NIX~ ; 11-11-2010 at 12:28 AM.

The following 75 users say thank you to PHO3NIX~ for this useful post:

ⒿⒺⒷⓇⓄ, AgentJon, ak7, allant, aqua_73_, AristotIe-, bertieboy7, bmxrcodol04, chris48hour, codefollow, Como, conrod, Curtyy, DanGFX, dfrost182, DR-Dizzy, Draco771, eaglechamp, FLU33BR, gdnxp, glitchplz, Hazel, HeadHunterM7, higzy94, HomelandSec, Hughseyy, hussler, ibombo, ImTheBabyKicker, iownall6, J-J, jake-thesnake, Jamesyy, jay2nice000, Jteezay09, justintp918, kane212, kevymatts, lilnatsfan44, MARY JANE, mero8888, mlkey123, morgan8088, Mr Grumpy, mrguy0874, mugatu, Mw2Freak13, OllieIcon, Omniplasma, PEGGIE99, Pimp, rico4u2day2, saudi--fantom, scythemage, SleepyTuness, SnackGuy, snilletx3, Solid Snake, Thristle, toad321, TUZVIZFOLD, viralhysteria, VnmZ, Warfrog213, Wfloydboy16, WhiplashOne, Whore, xFutterr, xIAmSchwem, xKNoWL3zY--, xLew--, xStefan, xXM@DM@RCXx, Xzz-MoDz-zzX, Yozod
11-27-2010, 10:01 PM #47
mrcl0wn
Do a barrel roll!
Originally posted by ResistTheSun View Post
*Note the important bits are at the bottom if you cba to read this*

Eh some of that rubbish you know that.....
Apart from the DMZ that important if you can't do that try port forwarding.
Anyway lag issues or Latency issues (that the correct term)

Are caused by poor matchmaking which mean you get put into games with high latency.
For example US hosts give you a Latency of about 1200ms which is a delay of about 1sec Winky Winky

If your on wireless with low strenght or just wireless you can add another 50ms on top.
So in order to reduce latency issues your end move to wired. Your reduce the latency and have no packet loss which means more latency issues.

On wireless MW2 was looking for 150ms games on wiredless and wired was 80ms that half the Latency or so.

Eh if there loads of clients online means less latency look at COD4 when the player numbers dropped more latency issues no ?
Because it P2P the numbers count which is why 360 has alot less latency issues due to having more clients.
More clients lower latency between each client.
High latency in a fast game is deadly as COD proves.

Freezing online is quite easy to answer, the net code is bit buggy. When there a error in the netcode it crashs the rest of the system.
If the game updating information and your getting packet loss it asks for it again , it gets it twice that could crash it.

You can bypass higher latency easy play at high volume times when most people in your local area on.
Or
Move to a higher population area

That RAM thing is wrong......
512Mb in total. Yea i know there are two types of RAM.

12 messages at a time is due again to netcoding to stop PSN servers being flooded not due to low RAM.

Good example of what i mean is when MW2 release remember to stop PSN servers being flooded and crashing. Sony limited the amount of users which could log into MW2.
This is the same reason as the messages. Blocking a high number of requests in order to keep the service the same.

Problem is black ops netcode having a bug which means it causes a slow down as it trys to get information too much or has a error.
This could be down to the fact how trey are doing it on PSN.
Meaning it a bit more buggy then how it done on 360.

Removing messages and friends from your list won't lower ping.
If you can tell me how a process not connected to a game host will lower ping i give you a medal.
All that does is remove a couple of things which the XMB has to load.
With the XMB having a set resource limit it does jack. Apart from make your XMB a little bit faster.
Believe the problem is the amount of data and how often black ops takes it , you know that in game FL.
Again a net code issue.

Search local only is just a simple client filtering....meaning you only look for local clients

So if you cba to read all of that
Go wired
Play when everybody on
Allow client filtering

Resist

Your right on everything you said except for deleting all the messages does truely make a difference. I am on wireless and am used to lag. On my friends hard-wired he would get instant shot pretty much every game on every other Cod series, but when I took the game over to his house for the first time and we played it, we went from 3.00 k/d avg players to 1.00 or less. It drove us crazy to say the least, and the very next day I read about simply deleting the messages and I did that to find every person we shot finally started letting us kill them. We are happily playing at a 5.50 k/d avg now when we play together :-)

everything else I agree with 100%
11-28-2010, 01:19 AM #48
Common sense. Didn't think to share. Figured people would have already thought of this. Nice post though.
12-01-2010, 06:47 AM #49
Black ops lags on PS3 Because it is not optimized it is ported from XBOX which has one type of ram and ps3 has two..
12-05-2010, 09:54 PM #50
Xzz-MoDz-zzX
Little One
Originally posted by FKz View Post
If you are lagging on Black Ops and you know its not your connection causing the problem or if your the host of the game and your still lagging:
Its because there is so many people online who are using up Treyarch's server's resources
Black Ops mainly relys on p2p (peer2peer) connections between a host and other clients. But your ranks, stats, emblems, friend list info, etc... is stored on Treyarch's server's
If there is too many people playing on BO at once, the server's cant handle it and you will receive whats called a "high ping" (won't go into too much detail now)
And also, the game is running too much stuff at once for the PS3 to handle

But we can bypass high ping if we lower the amount of resources the client/host (your ps3) needs
And even when people lose interest in the game and less people are online, your PS3 will still freeze occasionally in menus and take long amount of time to load, because the PS3 can't handle Black Ops effectively

So I am going to address two things with this thread:
1. Server Latency
2. PS3 Tweaking

(If your connection is weak or you have connection problems or you don't know what post forwarding/DMZ is, then this thread isn't for you)

The only way to have a good Latency / low ping is to have a decent connection and to wait for people to lose interest in the game
When there is about 400,000 people online, the game should run smoothly once you get into a game. But this does not solve the issue of slow loading times and freezing in menu's. I am going to discuss how to lower your ping as much as you can at the moment:

The ps3 has a low amount of RAM, 256mb infact.
So it can't do much at the same time. e.g. Can only send 12 messages at a time.
So when Black Ops is constantly updating information about your friends list and your recent players, and their fileshare. And stats, and theatre mode, etc... Then its no surprise your going to experience slow loading times
So the way round it is to minimise the amount it has to do as much as possible. So delete all your received messages on your ps3. And all your sent messages. And delete all unnecessary friends from your list. This will lower your ping, and will decrease loading times in the menus and you will have slightly less lag online

Also when you are in the Playstation Network menu in multiplayer, press select and change the option to "LOCALE ONLY"

If you do as I said, this is what you can expect to happen:

Slightly faster loading times in menus on Black Ops
Your friends list on your XMB will load MUCH FASTER
Your in-game XMB will operate MUCH FASTER
Your ping will be reduced slightly in Black Ops
You will play against players in your country only, so lower ping overall and you can understand each other Winky Winky

This is confirmed to work (by me)
Black Ops was sticking for me and I was experiencing a lot of lag and freezing in menu's. Now I'm experiencing no freezing in menu's. The lag has been reduced, but there is nothing more we can do about that now until there is less strain on the server's.
My in-game XMB is opening/closing much faster
I can send messages much faster
Takes a lot less time to sign in, and my friends list is loaded much faster

Thanks Alot I Thought This Was The Reason Why I Was Laggy Alot Thanks For Confirming It Happy
12-06-2010, 08:00 AM #51
thanks duude,,,really getin sick of lagg
12-06-2010, 08:07 AM #52
Gtfout lagg!!!
12-07-2010, 02:39 PM #53
r2blazer2
Pokemon Trainer
Originally posted by FKz View Post
Theres nothing much you can do. Just keep your messages and friends list clean and your PS3 will run smoothly. The only other thing I can suggest is to buy a faster hard drive, a 7400rpm HDD would increase the speed of your PS3, but only slightly. Its really not worth it unless you have one lying about.

A 7400rpm....wow man dont do that itll run hot as shit....and the difference is minimal stick w a 5400rpm theres a reason for that. and its cheap ive got a wd 500g sata in mine and love it
12-08-2010, 05:02 PM #54
Kate Upton
Like my Avatar?
Nice post :y: Good thinking
12-08-2010, 06:55 PM #55
cruzader
Pokemon Trainer
Another thing I found out is that the game uses your listed PSN address as part of its matchmaking process. So if you have the wrong address listed for some reason, you might be connecting to the "wrong" local area.

My address is listed as in Hong Kong while I live in Chicago, and I regularly connect to Asian hosts. This obviously knocks me down a couple bars. My other account's address is listed correctly, and as a result I get full bars and connect to decent hosts.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo