11-13-2008, 07:38 PM #1
NGUWhitey
NGU's OG
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Here is a quick summery of Call Of Duty Word At War!

Pros

* Four Player Splitscreen
To be honest, I was worried about this one. No released info prior to this game’s release indicated that there would be a four player splitscreen mode, and believe me, I looked! So I’m quite relieved to see that it’s in there. While that’s great, it also hasn’t changed at all from the way Call of Duty 4 did it. It would have been nice to have profile support so that my buddies and I could level up our players.
* Nice Level Design
I didn’t get to see all the maps, but I was very impressed with the maps that I did see. I spent a lot of time just looking at the level design instead of shooting enemies. It was especially enjoyable to see the Japanese themed levels. I have no idea yet how well the levels are play balanced, because my experience so far is so minimal. But so far so good.
* Gore High/Low Setting
I forget, actually, what this setting is called, but the game allows you to tune down the gore effects. I haven’t turned on this setting yet, because I want to see how bad it is. But I like knowing that this is here in case I want to use it.
* Much Like CoD4
This game plays much like CoD4 did, which is a good thing. The controls are the same, so there’s nothing new to learn. Any CoD4 fan can jump right into this game and feel at home. It’s like a huge expansion pack, which some might quibble with, but I don’t mind. I knew that when I was buying the game.
* Lots of Modes
You can play the single player campaign. You can play the same campaign co-op splitscreen with a friend. Or you can play it co-op online with up to three friends. Then you can turn on competitive online co-op mode where you compete for points. Or you can play competitive multiplayer online. Or you can play competitive multiplayer splitscreen. Whew! Nice!

Cons

* Menus Navigation is Slow
The game spends a lot of time loading menus, which is strange. Why can’t it load them in the background? Menus don’t take up that much memory…
* Server Disconnect
At the end of every game I played last night, I got a warning that the server has disconnected. I seemed to maintain my stats, but this was still a bit worrisome.
* Same Maps
The matchmaking system kept putting me on the same two or three maps, and I rarely got to see some of the others.
* No War in Splitscreen
I did check out the splitscreen options, and noticed that the game type War isn’t available in splitscreen! Usually we play DM, TDM, or HQ, because the other game types don’t lend themselves very well to our style of play and the fact that we’re only four players. But I thought that War could have been a good mode for four players. Unhappily, I’ll never find out.
* Connection Issues
Playing the beta at my friend Todd’s house, he had a lot of connection issues. We assumed it was the internet connection. But I had connection issues twice last night, and usually my internet is rock solid. I don’t know if this is the game or my service provider or my home network, but it was annoying and I thought I’d mention it.
* Zombie Mode?
Now I haven’t experience this first hand because I haven’t completed the game yet. But seriously. Zombie mode? Is this a FPS horror game or a FPS war game? I think that the developers could have spent their time on better things than this. I’m not into horror, but if I was, I’d should buy a horror game, not a Call of Duty game.

Final Thoughts

I like this game a lot, just as I liked Call of Duty 4 a lot. It brings up good memories of playing Call of Duty 2, but it has all the cool stuff from Call of Duty 4. Best of both worlds. Now I can’t wait to get to level 14 so that I can play Headquarters and War online!

I do wonder one thing though, and I hope someone out there can answer this. Playing splitscreen co-op, does player two get to level up and progress? Is this information saved?

The following user thanked NGUWhitey for this useful post:

AgentJon
11-13-2008, 11:37 PM #2
AgentJon
Former Staff
nice review. The connection problems will always happen on the 1st day or 2 of the games release online. They will fix themselfs. Zombie mode is amazing! I dont have this game yet, but all my friends say its great and lots of fun.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo