02-06-2011, 04:56 PM #1
Girby2K11
☮ ☯ ☢ ✔ ➝
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); over the last month i have been reading this website and book.
the website is called You must login or register to view this content.

and i am reading this book called c++ for dummies by Stephan R. Davies

i am at the start of the book and website but i was wondering is it a good place to understand all the coding of c++ and be able to write full gui's?
02-06-2011, 07:17 PM #2
Originally posted by Girby2K11 View Post
over the last month i have been reading this website and book.

i am at the start of the book and website but i was wondering is it a good place to understand all the coding of c++ and be able to write full gui's?

You are on the right track, you can create simple GUIs with SFML, this means its still Win32 based, to create true window forms with GUIs your self needs a great great deal of C++ skill. once you get there, you are a true programmer.
02-06-2011, 07:20 PM #3
ShinigamiUzi
Proud to be a Player

Check out my thread about programming.

You must login or register to view this content.
02-06-2011, 08:57 PM #4
Girby2K11
☮ ☯ ☢ ✔ ➝
Originally posted by TheUberFail View Post
You are on the right track, you can create simple GUIs with SFML, this means its still Win32 based, to create true window forms with GUIs your self needs a great great deal of C++ skill. once you get there, you are a true programmer.

thanks that helps alot
02-06-2011, 09:02 PM #5
dPaws
Hurah!
That is one of the ways I started learning =D
02-06-2011, 09:04 PM #6
I have learned all of my stuff from that website. It can get hard to read/understand in some places.
02-06-2011, 09:37 PM #7
3arc
Meow.
That website has a great tutorial, although some parts might be a bit challenging, it's a really easy tutorial to follow IMO.
02-07-2011, 10:18 AM #8

On of the interesting things about that tutorial is the fact, i did not understand half the stuff at the other half of the pages, because they always show you what, say for instance a if statement is, or a data type or operator. Then half way through the page they show very complicated experienced examples which i never understood, but now looking back after learning allot more about C++, these harder bits where extremely helpful.
02-10-2011, 05:30 PM #9
Girby2K11
☮ ☯ ☢ ✔ ➝
Originally posted by FourzerotwoFAILS View Post
I have learned all of my stuff from that website. It can get hard to read/understand in some places.

yeah like the pointers they are pissing me off, but i will re visit it
02-10-2011, 06:23 PM #10
yeah like the pointers they are pissing me off, but i will re visit it

I can help you understand pointers, they are a very easy to understand once you have been taught properly what they really are.

Ok, so you probably understand the concept of memory addresses and the fact they store data, but sometimes when explaining pointers, some tutorial kind of forget to highlight the key features of a pointer that make it difficult to understand.

To start, when declaring a pointer,

int myNumber;
int *intPointer;

bool myBool;
bool *boolPointer

Now, the pointer here is not a integer value, or a boolean value, they are actually a data type of pointer it self, all int *pointer means is, here, i have a pointer data type called intPointer, and when you point, you are pointing at a data type of a integer. now wait a second, what does, pointing at a data type of int really mean?

When pointing at a int, you are telling the computer, to look at memory location #, but remember, and integer is 4 bytes big, so it will have to look at the next 4 memory locations to get the data required to make up an integer, the same for a boolean pointer, it will only look at one byte (boolean size).

How to use pointers.

Try to think of a pointer as a location data type, it can only store a location.

int myNumber = 50;
int *myPointer;

myPointer = &myNumber;
//& sign translates to, "Memory address of: "

*myPointer = 100;
//* Translates to, "Value of address: "

if(myNumber==100)
//This statement now is true

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo