12-13-2014, 08:36 AM #1
Kryptus
Former Staff Manager
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Damn... It's been a while since I've posted a thread in a support section. Them feels

I bought a recommended HDD for the PS4, and like everything new I get, it's not working for me.
Samsung Seagate Momentus SpinPoint ST2000LM003 2 TB 2.5" SATA Notebook

I have tried 3 USBs, formatting the usbs multiple times, re-downloading the PS4UPDATE.PUP multiple times, no luck.

The PS4 says I need 2.03 or newer. I'm downloading 2.03, which is the most recent. It shows it's loading for about 4 seconds, then I get:
"The update file cannot be used.
Connect a USB storage device that contains an update file for reinstallation for version 2.03 or later.
(CE-34788-0)"

As I said, I formatted the USBs multiple times, redownloaded the update multiple times, etc etc.

I don't believe I'm doing anything wrong. I'm downloading the 2.03 update, I installed the hdd correctly, I'm booting in Safe Mode. On the USB the directory is "*USBNAME*/PS4/UPDATE/PS4UPDATE.PUP".
Last edited by Kryptus ; 12-13-2014 at 08:43 AM.
12-13-2014, 02:42 PM #2
skaterboy16
< ^ > < ^ >
Originally posted by Father
Damn... It's been a while since I've posted a thread in a support section. Them feels

I bought a recommended HDD for the PS4, and like everything new I get, it's not working for me.
Samsung Seagate Momentus SpinPoint ST2000LM003 2 TB 2.5" SATA Notebook

I have tried 3 USBs, formatting the usbs multiple times, re-downloading the PS4UPDATE.PUP multiple times, no luck.

The PS4 says I need 2.03 or newer. I'm downloading 2.03, which is the most recent. It shows it's loading for about 4 seconds, then I get:
"The update file cannot be used.
Connect a USB storage device that contains an update file for reinstallation for version 2.03 or later.
(CE-34788-0)"

As I said, I formatted the USBs multiple times, redownloaded the update multiple times, etc etc.

I don't believe I'm doing anything wrong. I'm downloading the 2.03 update, I installed the hdd correctly, I'm booting in Safe Mode. On the USB the directory is "*USBNAME*/PS4/UPDATE/PS4UPDATE.PUP".

u dont boot the ps4 in safe mode. that could be your problem
12-13-2014, 05:34 PM #3
Kryptus
Former Staff Manager
Originally posted by skaterboy16 View Post
u dont boot the ps4 in safe mode. that could be your problem
I tried both normal boot and safe boot. Same result.
12-13-2014, 06:14 PM #4
Originally posted by Father
I tried both normal boot and safe boot. Same result.

Hey there from the sounds of it there could be one of two issues but I'll try the most common one

Okay firstly lets make sure you're doing it correctly.. You must use a USB as far as I know as it's the only method that has worked for me.

1. Go to You must login or register to view this content. or where ever you're from and find the most recent system software. Make sure the file is around 1 GB and not 300mb. < This is vital >

Download the 859 MB (may be more) system recovery software (make sure it isn't the 300 MB update; it must be the entire system software).

2. Make sure the USB flash drive is formatted as FAT32.

3. Create a folder titled PS4 (all caps) within the flash drive. Create another folder titled UPDATE (all caps) within the PS4 folder.

4. Move the 859 MB download into the UPDATE folder.

5. Remove your old hard drive and replace it with the new one

6. Plug the USB in to the PS4 along with your Dualshock

7. Hold the power button down to initiate safe mode.

8. When the options appear choose Initialize PS4 (Reinstall System Software).

This should work flawlessly - You may have to completely format the hard drive before use just to make sure you have a clean install.

Make sure you've downloaded the right file as well as I stated above there are two. You need the full package (one I linked) .

( Don't forget to deactivate your PS4 before reinstalling the new hard drive )

If it still doesn't work possibly try ringing Sony Entertainment themselves.
Last edited by IamKern ; 12-13-2014 at 06:26 PM.
12-13-2014, 06:27 PM #5
Kryptus
Former Staff Manager
Originally posted by IamKern View Post

Hey there from the sounds of it there could be one of two issues but I'll try the most common one

Okay firstly lets make sure you're doing it correctly.. You must use a USB as far as I know as it's the only method that has worked for me.

1. Go to You must login or register to view this content. or where ever you're from and find the most recent system software. Make sure the file is around 1 GB and not 300mb. < This is vital >

Download the 859 MB (may be more) system recovery software (make sure it isn't the 300 MB update; it must be the entire system software).

2. Make sure the USB flash drive is formatted as FAT32.

3. Create a folder titled PS4 (all caps) within the flash drive. Create another folder titled UPDATE (all caps) within the PS4 folder.

4. Move the 859 MB download into the UPDATE folder.

5. Remove your old hard drive and replace it with the new one

6. Plug the USB in to the PS4 along with your Dualshock

7. Hold the power button down to initiate safe mode.

8. When the options appear choose Initialize PS4 (Reinstall System Software).

This should work flawlessly - You may have to completely format the hard drive before use just to make sure you have a clean install.

Make sure you've downloaded the right file as well as I stated above there are two you need the full package.

( Don't forget to deactivate your PS4 before reinstalling the new hard drive )

If it still doesn't work possibly try ringing Sony Entertainment themselves.
I just solved it. It's Sony's fault. :p They have the PS4UPDATE.PUP's all scrambled around on their site. Took me a while but I found the correct one.
If anyone else has this issue, on 2.03, use this. You must login or register to view this content.
12-13-2014, 08:14 PM #6
skaterboy16
< ^ > < ^ >
well there are 2 different ones

you got the updated one and you got the full update and the full update is the one needed to do the new hdd

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo