06-26-2011, 08:46 AM #1
upD@TE
Haxor!
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Hello everyone!

Im planning to get a laptop with an i7 2630qm quad core processor. It hasa 4gb ram.
The sales person said to fully utilize it, you must have at least 6gb of ram, and he offered me
an i5-2410m instead as he said with just 4gb ram, the i7 will perform at a similar level as that of the i5's.

Is that true? Im not planning to upgrade my RAM soon, maybe after a year. So, is the i7 really a resource/memory hog since it ''needs'' at least 6gb ram? (Especially its a quad core..)

Thanks in advance! Smile
06-26-2011, 02:25 PM #2
Nicky74me
I am error
Originally posted by TE View Post
Hello everyone!

Im planning to get a laptop with an i7 2630qm quad core processor. It hasa 4gb ram.
The sales person said to fully utilize it, you must have at least 6gb of ram, and he offered me
an i5-2410m instead as he said with just 4gb ram, the i7 will perform at a similar level as that of the i5's.

Is that true? Im not planning to upgrade my RAM soon, maybe after a year. So, is the i7 really a resource/memory hog since it ''needs'' at least 6gb ram? (Especially its a quad core..)

Thanks in advance! Smile

I saw in your other thread that you want to use this for video editing/rendering, if so i would not get either of these and get a desktop computer.
06-26-2011, 09:03 PM #3
MythGavin
Gym leader
Did the motherboard have triple channel memory? You might not be able to utilize that without 3GB, 6GB, 9GB, etc. If it was double channel it would be 2GB, 4GB, 8GB, etc.

Idk what this nonsense your salesman is talking about. And CPUs don't Hog memory O_o Why do you think the PS3 doesn't have much ram,... well to keep the prices down, but the reason why they are able to do that is because the ps3 has such a good cpu.
06-26-2011, 09:58 PM #4
upD@TE
Haxor!
Originally posted by Nicky74me View Post
I saw in your other thread that you want to use this for video editing/rendering, if so i would not get either of these and get a desktop computer.

Originally posted by flawedvictory View Post
Did the motherboard have triple channel memory? You might not be able to utilize that without 3GB, 6GB, 9GB, etc. If it was double channel it would be 2GB, 4GB, 8GB, etc.

Idk what this nonsense your salesman is talking about. And CPUs don't Hog memory O_o Why do you think the PS3 doesn't have much ram,... well to keep the prices down, but the reason why they are able to do that is because the ps3 has such a good cpu.

@Nicky74me: Yeah, thats right. However i would not use it extensively for video editing, just occasional/moderate. Its more for research and moderate gaming.

@flawedvictory: Lol. Yeah you have a point, but i think he has one too. the other option i have is the i5-2410m processor with 4gb ram. Im just afraid 'lil bit extra cash isnt worth getting the i7. Maybe he does have a point, since the i7 has a quad core, maybe it wants more ram (i assume its dual channel since it has 4gb on it) so that the 4 cores have more memory to play around with and as buffer.

idk man, just confused right now lol.
06-26-2011, 10:46 PM #5
Anal Treat
NGU's resident prick
RAM and CPU are not linked, at all.

An I7 is quad core as is the I5 however the I7 runs faster.
4GB of ram would not be enough to fully utilise the I7's processing power as any softwear thats likley to use all the rpocessing power of the I7 would likley need 6GB+

I would however recomend getting the I7 and you will be fine, and if you every need to upgrade, the I7 will still be fairly modern in a years time (providing intel doesnt release there new cpu with 100+ cores for the same price as the I7)

EDIT: ask for the clock speeds on the I5 and the I7 and it will be easier to make a decision
06-26-2011, 10:49 PM #6
Winning
Former Staff
For video editing, you need lots of RAM. My PC eats all my RAM when I'm using Sony Vegas with large Fraps files.
06-26-2011, 10:58 PM #7
MythGavin
Gym leader
@Nicky74me: Yeah, thats right. However i would not use it extensively for video editing, just occasional/moderate. Its more for research and moderate gaming.

@flawedvictory: Lol. Yeah you have a point, but i think he has one too. the other option i have is the i5-2410m processor with 4gb ram. Im just afraid 'lil bit extra cash isnt worth getting the i7. Maybe he does have a point, since the i7 has a quad core, maybe it wants more ram (i assume its dual channel since it has 4gb on it) so that the 4 cores have more memory to play around with and as buffer.

CPU's dont "want more ram" It's not a program, it's a processor.

Read what Anal Treat said,

That said, The i7 2600, to an i5 2400, is a huge downgrade. If your going to go with the i5, there better be a significant difference in price.
06-27-2011, 05:42 AM #8
In short, the salesman was a moron, or at least not very well spoken
06-28-2011, 12:41 AM #9
upD@TE
Haxor!

Originally posted by Anal
RAM and CPU are not linked, at all.

An I7 is quad core as is the I5 however the I7 runs faster.
4GB of ram would not be enough to fully utilise the I7's processing power as any softwear thats likley to use all the rpocessing power of the I7 would likley need 6GB+

I would however recomend getting the I7 and you will be fine, and if you every need to upgrade, the I7 will still be fairly modern in a years time (providing intel doesnt release there new cpu with 100+ cores for the same price as the I7)

EDIT: ask for the clock speeds on the I5 and the I7 and it will be easier to make a decision

Originally posted by Winning View Post
For video editing, you need lots of RAM. My PC eats all my RAM when I'm using Sony Vegas with large Fraps files.

Originally posted by flawedvictory View Post
CPU's dont "want more ram" It's not a program, it's a processor.

Read what Anal Treat said,

That said, The i7 2600, to an i5 2400, is a huge downgrade. If your going to go with the i5, there better be a significant difference in price.

Originally posted by Dr.
In short, the salesman was a moron, or at least not very well spoken

Thanks everyone!! I ended up getting the i7!!! Woooohoo, PLUS its cheaper than the i5! i got it at a different store which has a sale!
So happy right now. But it only has 4gb ram though, oh well. WORTH THE PRICE!! It has a pretty decent GPU as well! Smile

THANKS
06-28-2011, 12:51 AM #10
Joey Essex
Maggbot timeout!
whats the Ram mhz ?

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo