Post: A former partner of mine on my website hacked my forum, how do I get it back?
03-13-2012, 01:05 PM #1
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); The server is set up with a paypal account from an ex-member who died, and the donations pay for the site. Anyhow, a guy that I used to have as a co-admin got mad at me and banned my IP, then changed my password (username is still admin). I found this out when I went to a friend's house and used his computer to log in (that IP - along with 7 others I've used - is also banned now).

I'd like to be able to re-take control of my site/forums, as this guy is a narcissist and has been banning people he doesn't like. If I don't regain control pretty soon, the site will end up losing all of it's main donators, and will die (when server cannot be paid for). I put a lot of work into the site, as has hundreds of the other users, so I really don't want to start over if I don't have to.

It is a vBulletin forum version 4.0.7

I have tried the firebug/live http method to no avail. Perhaps it is due to me having to block cookies from the site, as I have tried it succefully on other sites of the same version.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. I am a quick study, but not a developer/coder,etc... so some of the more technical things may have to be put in lay terms.

Thanks in advance.
03-13-2012, 09:41 PM #2
fail12345
Do a barrel roll!
what langauge is it coded in? pm me mate, btw im not a pro , ive never done this before , but just read up on this!!Smile
Last edited by fail12345 ; 03-13-2012 at 09:58 PM.
03-25-2012, 11:33 PM #3
Pichu
RIP PICHU.
Originally posted by Ponic View Post
The server is set up with a paypal account from an ex-member who died, and the donations pay for the site. Anyhow, a guy that I used to have as a co-admin got mad at me and banned my IP, then changed my password (username is still admin). I found this out when I went to a friend's house and used his computer to log in (that IP - along with 7 others I've used - is also banned now).

I'd like to be able to re-take control of my site/forums, as this guy is a narcissist and has been banning people he doesn't like. If I don't regain control pretty soon, the site will end up losing all of it's main donators, and will die (when server cannot be paid for). I put a lot of work into the site, as has hundreds of the other users, so I really don't want to start over if I don't have to.

It is a vBulletin forum version 4.0.7

I have tried the firebug/live http method to no avail. Perhaps it is due to me having to block cookies from the site, as I have tried it succefully on other sites of the same version.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. I am a quick study, but not a developer/coder,etc... so some of the more technical things may have to be put in lay terms.

Thanks in advance.

I know this is late, but you should really consider contacting support for the server providers and Vbulletin and deal with it that way. They could firstly nullify your Vbulletin licence and with contact for the server providers and providing proof they may be able to help you regain control.
03-28-2012, 01:57 AM #4
Originally posted by Sublimity View Post
I know this is late, but you should really consider contacting support for the server providers and Vbulletin and deal with it that way. They could firstly nullify your Vbulletin licence and with contact for the server providers and providing proof they may be able to help you regain control.

Well, I appreciate the reply, even if it was a little late. I have spoke with the host, and told him about my problem. He knows who I am because I spoke with him before. However, he said that it is unethical and possibly illegal for him to assist me in re-taking the site, e.g. giving me the password. He said that I could just stop the paypal payments, and that if I did that, he'd be able to close down site, but he wouldn't be able to assist me in re-directing all current members to any new site I put up; which is why I have been trying to avoid closing the site (not paying host), and opening a new one: The problems of getting all old members to know new site dir/url,etc,etc,etc. The easiest way would be to just hack the password and then change it... problem completely solved.

However, it looks like I wont be able to do it that way, as I haven't found anything/way that is written in lay terms for me to do it, so I'll probably stop the payments & start a new site - and be less trusting of others, regardless of how long I've known them.
03-28-2012, 02:08 AM #5
Epic?
Awe-Inspiring
Originally posted by Ponic View Post
Well, I appreciate the reply, even if it was a little late. I have spoke with the host, and told him about my problem. He knows who I am because I spoke with him before. However, he said that it is unethical and possibly illegal for him to assist me in re-taking the site, e.g. giving me the password. He said that I could just stop the paypal payments, and that if I did that, he'd be able to close down site, but he wouldn't be able to assist me in re-directing all current members to any new site I put up; which is why I have been trying to avoid closing the site (not paying host), and opening a new one: The problems of getting all old members to know new site dir/url,etc,etc,etc. The easiest way would be to just hack the password and then change it... problem completely solved.

However, it looks like I wont be able to do it that way, as I haven't found anything/way that is written in lay terms for me to do it, so I'll probably stop the payments & start a new site - and be less trusting of others, regardless of how long I've known them.

I know you were probably hoping for a grand, easy-to-understand scheme for hacking websites. Unfortunately, if such a thing existed, people would be hacking websites left and right (which is actually not the reason for it's nonexistence, the fact of the matter is computer security is a large and complex topic, one that takes years - and often PhDs - to really understand).

I'm sorry to hear about your site, but what you were seeking simply did not (and does not) exist.

The following user thanked Epic? for this useful post:

Pichu
03-28-2012, 03:22 AM #6
Pichu
RIP PICHU.
Originally posted by Epic
I know you were probably hoping for a grand, easy-to-understand scheme for hacking websites. Unfortunately, if such a thing existed, people would be hacking websites left and right (which is actually not the reason for it's nonexistence, the fact of the matter is computer security is a large and complex topic, one that takes years - and often PhDs - to really understand).

I'm sorry to hear about your site, but what you were seeking simply did not (and does not) exist.

It's sad but this goes to show that you should always create back up copies of your site if you can and create proof that the site is yours as well as financial proof because if that is in your possession and someone does steal your work from you, you could legally fight back and this guy could have of, with the legal information and proof, made it legal for the person he spoke with to return him the password and possibly allow him to file against the thief.
04-12-2012, 07:05 PM #7
what the website link? You may be able to use an sql injection
06-09-2012, 10:37 PM #8
t0asty
Web Dev / Security
if its your site then just change the password via mysql :confused:

I know it's late but clearing things up for the future.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo