09-09-2013, 02:34 PM #1
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); I'm a freshman in college and the most programming I have done is a Java class my junior year in high school which I still have a very basic knowledge of. As of right now I am doing all the requirement classes just to get them out the way and since I have basically no knowledge of programming is it too late for me to want to major in computer science? Should I have a decent amount of prior knowledge going into it or should I still be able to stay on par with most of the class? I have up to probably my second semester of my Sophomore year to make a decision. Let me know what you think! Thanks.
09-11-2013, 12:51 AM #11
Originally posted by Pikachu View Post
He will have to choose what language he will prefer in the long run, though he will need to know how to write in a few others once he gets to the final year. Java and C++ are the two main languages now that people finish up with with a BS in CSP.

----

You can learn the basics and get an understanding of programming on a mac. You can even start learning Java, C++, Python on them if you wish. My advice for you, skip Python; it teaches you the basics but it really is a bit of a waste of time in my opinion. It is not an OOP language. You can install Java and Java JDK on your computer and learn to program in Java if you wish. C++ can be a lot harder to learn as there is much more to it, especially without the help of an advanced IDE.

You can use netbeans or, I think, Eclipse though when learning Java; you will want to just use notepad. Most programming books give instruction on what things do as well as basic information towards computer but what Master was referring to as for learning about computer is separate books from the programming books. They will teach you into further depth about what computers are and how things work under it all.

Knowing how to program will benefit you as you will not have to face that learning curve for the most part when learning some of the languages. You will also be able to communicate with the professor better if you are struggling. If you choose not to learn ahead of time, don't worry, they teach from the ground up.

When you start out your for your equivilence of an AA/AS they only teach entry level; meaning you should be able to enter the class not knowing anything. Once you are now working on classes with prereqs, that's when you will actually need to know the language.

You're one heck of a guru when it comes to explaining things..and thanks. Did you said you have those books in PDFs? I would like to give them a look if you don't mind.
09-11-2013, 01:24 AM #12
Pichu
RIP PICHU.
Originally posted by Conveyy View Post
You're one heck of a guru when it comes to explaining things..and thanks. Did you said you have those books in PDFs? I would like to give them a look if you don't mind.

Those PDFS would require you have windows to use.
09-11-2013, 03:03 AM #13
Those PDFS would require you have windows to use.

I have one built into the web where as every other PDF (so far) has just opened up in the web.
09-11-2013, 05:49 AM #14
Pichu
RIP PICHU.
I have one built into the web where as every other PDF (so far) has just opened up in the web.

No, I mean what is inside the PDF to use requires that you have windows. Visual Studios.
09-11-2013, 03:33 PM #15
No, I mean what is inside the PDF to use requires that you have windows. Visual Studios.

Well it seems as though I am stumped when it comes to being able to start..any ideas that may allow me to start the process? Are you familiar with Xcode? Apple's software development tool. Maybe I could use that? I'm not sure if it's restricted to any one language or anything.
09-11-2013, 08:54 PM #16
Pichu
RIP PICHU.
Well it seems as though I am stumped when it comes to being able to start..any ideas that may allow me to start the process? Are you familiar with Xcode? Apple's software development tool. Maybe I could use that? I'm not sure if it's restricted to any one language or anything.

Not sure about xCode. You could learn Java with your computer though.
09-12-2013, 01:24 PM #17
Not sure about xCode. You could learn Java with your computer though.

When I get out of class I will try to find some more information about what Xcode can do. Hopefully I can get c++ and c#. As for Java, what should I do for that? Recommended?

Edit: Xcode supports C, C++, Objective-C, Objective-C++, Java, AppleScript, Python and Ruby. (That's what I got off web) so maybe I can still learn the languages. Can you try sending a PDF file and lets see if I can open it and what not. Maybe I won't be too restricted on what I can do.
Last edited by Conveyy ; 09-12-2013 at 02:39 PM.
09-12-2013, 06:25 PM #18
Pichu
RIP PICHU.
When I get out of class I will try to find some more information about what Xcode can do. Hopefully I can get c++ and c#. As for Java, what should I do for that? Recommended?

Edit: Xcode supports C, C++, Objective-C, Objective-C++, Java, AppleScript, Python and Ruby. (That's what I got off web) so maybe I can still learn the languages. Can you try sending a PDF file and lets see if I can open it and what not. Maybe I won't be too restricted on what I can do.

C#/VB.NET are .NET based languages, they are considered to be managed under the .NET framework. C++ is possible for you and Java. I'd say Java would be better to start out with, and yes you can open PDFs it's just the ones I have are not good for you.
09-12-2013, 07:06 PM #19
C#/VB.NET are .NET based languages, they are considered to be managed under the .NET framework. C++ is possible for you and Java. I'd say Java would be better to start out with, and yes you can open PDFs it's just the ones I have are not good for you.

Well I'd rather start out with C++ since it's a lot more Mac friendly than Java is...Xcode is designed specifically for C++ and Objective-C...I am downloading NetBeans now cause I may like it more than Xcode. But for the C++ or Objective-C, which would you recommend and how?

Edit: Netbeans works fine so now I am more than capable to use Java and C/C++ a lot easier instead of the Xcode hassle. Just let me know your opinion and what you would do. You have a lot more knowledge in starting positions than I do so I'm open to whatever.
Last edited by Conveyy ; 09-12-2013 at 07:44 PM.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo