02-12-2011, 07:14 PM #1
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
How to Upgrade Your RAM Using a USB Flashdrive

Upgrading your RAM will make your computer run more efficiently. Games, internet browsing and application speeds will increase.

1.) Plug your flash drive into one of the USB ports. Make sure you have no important files saved to the flash drive. The higher the memory on the flash drive, the more RAM you can add to you computer, however, certain computers can only use so much.

2.) Click Start > Computer > Right Click your flash drive > Properties

3.) Go to the Ready Boost tab and check the "Use this device." box. Now drag the slider all the way to the right, so you can use your flash drive to it's full potential. Click apply then Ok.

As you can see I have added 1902 megabytes of RAM, which is almost 2 Gigs.

4.) Now just to check if everything worked open up your flash drive and you should have a ReadyBoost file located inside of it.

And there you go your computer should now run more smoothly! Remember the more RAM you add the more of a difference you should see in performance.

Some IMPORTANT Things:
-The RAM added will not show up in your installed memory because it is "Virtual memory".
-Do not unplug your flashdrive while your computer is on, turn off before unplugging. Computer may crash if unplugged while computer is on.
-You can use as many flashdrives as you have USB ports.
-I recommend changing the name of you flashdrive to something involving "RAM" so you don't save any files to it.

Thanks for reading please Rate thread and comment.
Last edited by Toon_Squad ; 02-14-2011 at 08:48 PM.

The following 13 users say thank you to Toon_Squad for this useful post:

-Bane-, 0B4M4, Agent Wolf, Booshykins, dunczzzz, El Violador, FaTbOyOnAbiKe, gamer89117, i_luxx_i, mattlrich, Post Count, TheMagicPancake, xxzero26xx
02-23-2011, 11:57 PM #83
Originally posted by UP View Post
There's nothing negative about it since it's using the flash drive as added pagefile. You can actually even pull the drive out without doing a safe removal and it will just push everything back to the pagefile. So it's pretty safe all around

If the information in it was correct I could see that

so help me put right information :p ClapsClaps
02-24-2011, 02:03 AM #84
Default Avatar
Oneup
Originally posted by MrFancyHacker View Post
so help me put right information :p ClapsClaps

Ready boost doesn't add the flash drive to ram, it's basically adding to the the pagefile. And no that is not true, ready boost really only impacts machines already running minimal ram so 512mb - 1GB is where you will see the most in performance from using it. People above that will hardly notice the change.

This isn't a substitute for ram and shouldnt be use as such.

Learn how windows works please, virtual memory is pagefile. And ready boost doesn't take effect till you log in, so him saying it "starts faster" is a placebo effect.

Im just stating the facts because I actually know what it does rather then act like I do.
The only reason you would see this being faster is because of things going straight to pagefile it will instead goto the flash drive which on a low end system with a crappy harddrive will be faster since there isn't a seek time on flash memory. Hence why SDD's outperform most SATA drives. But if you have a fast Harddrive and decent hardware this is pointless.

Please don't turn a blind eye to something simply because you don't like the fact that someone pointed out the flaws in your claims, man up and at least correct those problems

I already pretty much did
02-24-2011, 10:44 PM #85
I already pretty much did

want requote them for me :p
02-24-2011, 11:16 PM #86
erbisme4
Penn State '16
By the way this only works well on Windows 7 and doesn't really work on Vista or XP
02-26-2011, 03:50 AM #87
Meow
Former Staff
So would a 8gb usb memory stick improve it by a lot?
02-26-2011, 05:02 AM #88
Originally posted by Meow View Post

yeah by a lot but remember its Virtual memory
02-26-2011, 04:22 PM #89
.Nik
Level Trustworthy 3!
I thought Fletcher posted this already?
02-26-2011, 04:26 PM #90
mw3modderman
Gym leader
How to Upgrade Your RAM Using a USB Flashdrive

Upgrading your RAM will make your computer run more efficiently. Games, internet browsing and application speeds will increase.

1.) Plug your flash drive into one of the USB ports. Make sure you have no important files saved to the flash drive. The higher the memory on the flash drive, the more RAM you can add to you computer, however, certain computers can only use so much.

2.) Click Start > Computer > Right Click your flash drive > Properties

3.) Go to the Ready Boost tab and check the "Use this device." box. Now drag the slider all the way to the right, so you can use your flash drive to it's full potential. Click apply then Ok.

As you can see I have added 1902 megabytes of RAM, which is almost 2 Gigs.

4.) Now just to check if everything worked open up your flash drive and you should have a ReadyBoost file located inside of it.

And there you go your computer should now run more smoothly! Remember the more RAM you add the more of a difference you should see in performance.

Some IMPORTANT Things:
-The RAM added will not show up in your installed memory because it is "Virtual memory".
-Do not unplug your flashdrive while your computer is on, turn off before unplugging. Computer may crash if unplugged while computer is on.
-You can use as many flashdrives as you have USB ports.
-I recommend changing the name of you flashdrive to something involving "RAM" so you don't save any files to it.

Thanks for reading please Rate thread and comment.

it gives you only like barely any speed infact when i use it slows my vista down this thread pointless and it has already been posted a long time ago
02-26-2011, 06:20 PM #91
Default Avatar
Oneup
Originally posted by Meow View Post

No it doesn't in this case more isn't better, it still works like the page file, where you should have 1.5x the amount of physical ram

yeah by a lot but remember its Virtual memory

If you really don't know what you are talking about, please don't answer questions, you are giving people the wrong impression.

Originally posted by mw3modderman View Post
it gives you only like barely any speed infact when i use it slows my vista down this thread pointless and it has already been posted a long time ago

Ready boost was introduced in vista and yes it doesn't work all that well, this was actually improved in 7, so if you actually want to use it and have it work, upgrade

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo