06-29-2011, 10:22 AM #1
Plutonium-1
Network Security = Illusion
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); How much faster will the NBN be?
The National Broadband Network (NBN) will connect 93 per cent of infrastructure with fibre optics providing speeds of up to 100 megabits per second. The remaining infrastructure will be connected through next-generation, fixed wireless and satellite technology providing peak speeds of at least 12 Mbps. This means everyone will have faster access to websites to conduct searches and undertake online transactions.
The NBN will also significantly reduce download times for content with high bandwidth requirements, like television programs, documentaries and movies. Downloading an average compressed movie, can currently take between 8 and 24 hours. At a speed of 12 Mbps, people will be able to download the same movie in 11 minutes and 7 seconds. If the speed is increased to 100 Mbps, the movie could be downloaded in as little as 1 minute and 20 seconds. See the table below for more detail.

Continuous download speed Time to download an average compressed movie (1 GB of data)
100 Mbps 1m20s
30 Mbps 4m27s
12 Mbps 11m7s
256 kbps 8h41m
56 kbps 1d16h
Premises on the fibre optic access network services will have connections that are unconstrained by other users and will be available at all hours. For fixed wireless and satellite users the access network will be shared, but the average data rates proposed will be available at all times with higher performance levels at times of low usage.

What is the NBN?
The National Broadband Network (NBN) project is an Australian Government initiative which will deliver high-speed broadband to all Australians. The NBN is a new, wholesale-only, open access, high-speed broadband network.
The NBN will involve the laying of fibre optic cabling to 93 per cent of Australian homes, schools and businesses, providing broadband speeds of up to 100 megabits per second (Mbps). The remaining premises will be connected via a combination of next-generation fixed wireless and satellite technologies providing peak speeds of at least 12 Mbps .
The government has established a new company, NBN Co Limited (NBN Co), to design, build and operate the NBN.
Maps prepared by NBN Co showing the indicative coverage of the NBN’s fibre to the premises, fixed wireless and satellite technologies as well as proposed transit links, are available from
NBN Co’s website.

Basically the Australian Government has decided to join the major TeleCo's in Australia in upgrading their Internet capabilities .

Full info go to: You must login or register to view this content.
06-29-2011, 11:37 AM #2
gavros7
Treasure hunter
I would like to see what will happen with the isps such as tpg....the price for broadband will probably increase once everything has been done...

Australia has the worst broadband system anyway...we are overcharged and unlike most other countries we pay for how much we can download...lucky i have unlimited though
06-29-2011, 08:49 PM #3
Plutonium-1
Network Security = Illusion
Originally posted by petridis26 View Post
I would like to see what will happen with the isps such as tpg....the price for broadband will probably increase once everything has been done...

Australia has the worst broadband system anyway...we are overcharged and unlike most other countries we pay for how much we can download...lucky i have unlimited though

not necessarily. Right now Telstra and Optus are "chipping in" with the government. This means that being with Telstra and Optus will give you an advantage.

The Australian Government will sell broadband to the telco's, Telstra and Optus will get a nice discount.

Btw most unlimited packages are over-priced and misleading. The Optus unlimited is acually 30 gigs, then slowes down from speeds up to 10mb/s to 256kb/s.

I have the 500 gig package from Optus. So far so good Smile
06-30-2011, 03:14 PM #4
gavros7
Treasure hunter
Originally posted by 239 View Post
not necessarily. Right now Telstra and Optus are "chipping in" with the government. This means that being with Telstra and Optus will give you an advantage.

The Australian Government will sell broadband to the telco's, Telstra and Optus will get a nice discount.

Btw most unlimited packages are over-priced and misleading. The Optus unlimited is acually 30 gigs, then slowes down from speeds up to 10mb/s to 256kb/s.

I have the 500 gig package from Optus. So far so good Smile

i see what you are saying...the "big players" in the internet market were always bound to get priority with a move as big as this...

and yeh i know what you mean about the unlimited plans...i wouldnt go on an unlimited plan with telstra or optus because of the reasons you mentioned above, (they are misleading plans)...the unlimited plan i am on now with tpg is great, i have downloaded so much and maintained a consistent speed...

i have to say though that i do wish tpg had the speed telstra has

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo