05-15-2012, 07:12 AM #1
AyeeLG
Trustworthy lvl 1
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Need a Desktop Built for General use and also Gaming.
Ive never actually built one before, so if there is a site where you can get all the parts and they build it for you, it would help a lot.
Price Range: $1500 - 1750
Thanks.
Last edited by AyeeLG ; 05-16-2012 at 07:58 AM.
05-16-2012, 09:54 AM #11
Mezzid
< ^ > < ^ >
Originally posted by FlyingIrishMan View Post
I'd go for something like:

i5-3550k, whether overheating is a problem or not, it still overclocks decently and clock for clock is a good bit better than sandy bridge.
Its only a small bit more so its definitely worth getting.
GTX 670, as Mezzid said, a lot cheaper than the 680 and 95% of the performance.
RAM, Corsair is the best brand really, just don't get the vengeance RAM. Aim for 1600Mhz if you can, but it won't make a noticeable difference over 1333Mhz.
ASRock Z77 Extreme 4, Good motherboard, I like ASRock the best, good quality and the boards look nice, this board also has the ability to crossfire/sli if you decide you want it in the future.
850w PSU, Corsair are a good brand and available. But try get something modular as they help with cable management a lot.
64Gb SSD, I recommend Crucial M4, very good quality, reliable and cheap. You only need 64Gb as its enough for your SSD and all/most your programs. Install games on the HDD, 7200RPM is still very fast at loading games. Don't get a cheap, unknown brand SSD, they tend to break a lot. Don't get OCZ either.
1TB 7200RPM HDD, this is the least you want to be looking for. I wouldn't get a large 3TB drive or higher than one really, as three 1TB ones are going to last longer and give you better performance than a single 3TB one.
DVD, Just get the cheapest one you can find, make sure its DVD RW though, Blu-Ray isn't needed, nobody uses it as a format.
CPU Cooler, Best air cooler on the market at the moment is the Noctua DH-14. Although its quite expensive. Watercooling is an option too.

Now the case, NZXT are not known for quality, only looks. I suggest going for something that does both.
I like the Cooler Master Storm Trooper, or the Corsair 500R which you said above is nice too.

Don't have access to newegg at the moment, so if you can't find any of those parts by yourself then I'll have a look for you.

I'm not sure what the total of all that is, but it should definitely be inside your budget. If you're going to get a keyboard too, don't get a shitty Lycosa, expensive PoS, if you're going to spend that much on a keyboard at least make it mechanical.
As for a mouse, I suggest the Logitech G500, 2000DPi is pretty low, the G500 can go up to 5700DPi and has 10 Programmable buttons.
Then with the money left over, you should be able to get a cheap 1080p monitor, but if you have 300+ left in the budget then get a catleap monitor. 120Hz, IPS, and 1440p resolution.

No, just no.
Ivy Bridge is terrible for overclocking, tempertures are 45% higher than Sandy Bridge and replacing the thermal paste will remove your warranty.
He doesnt need 850W, even a GTX 690 won't take that much, as I just have seen this;
You must login or register to view this content.
Why take a 64 GB SSD when you can get the double amount for around 30 bucks more?

I recommended the keyboard and mouse because they're great for Gaming and don't cost too much, also look really good.
Unlike that piece of shit G19, looks like a fucking toy while it's twice as expensive as the Lycosa

As for the monior I agree, 120 HZ is much smoother than a 60 HZ screen, for example;
If you'd be shaking the screen from left to right while looking at a wall with a 120 HZ screen, it will be crisp and smooth.
While on a 60 HZ screen it will look like shit.

Here's the cheapest 120 HZ screens on the market;

@ Irish Guy, sorry for bashing your post but I disagree on some points Winky Winky
Last edited by Mezzid ; 05-16-2012 at 10:07 AM.
05-16-2012, 09:56 AM #12
AyeeLG
Trustworthy lvl 1
I'd go for something like:

i5-3550k, whether overheating is a problem or not, it still overclocks decently and clock for clock is a good bit better than sandy bridge.
Its only a small bit more so its definitely worth getting.
GTX 670, as Mezzid said, a lot cheaper than the 680 and 95% of the performance.
RAM, Corsair is the best brand really, just don't get the vengeance RAM. Aim for 1600Mhz if you can, but it won't make a noticeable difference over 1333Mhz.
ASRock Z77 Extreme 4, Good motherboard, I like ASRock the best, good quality and the boards look nice, this board also has the ability to crossfire/sli if you decide you want it in the future.
850w PSU, Corsair are a good brand and available. But try get something modular as they help with cable management a lot.
64Gb SSD, I recommend Crucial M4, very good quality, reliable and cheap. You only need 64Gb as its enough for your SSD and all/most your programs. Install games on the HDD, 7200RPM is still very fast at loading games. Don't get a cheap, unknown brand SSD, they tend to break a lot. Don't get OCZ either.
1TB 7200RPM HDD, this is the least you want to be looking for. I wouldn't get a large 3TB drive or higher than one really, as three 1TB ones are going to last longer and give you better performance than a single 3TB one.
DVD, Just get the cheapest one you can find, make sure its DVD RW though, Blu-Ray isn't needed, nobody uses it as a format.
CPU Cooler, Best air cooler on the market at the moment is the Noctua DH-14. Although its quite expensive. Watercooling is an option too.

Now the case, NZXT are not known for quality, only looks. I suggest going for something that does both.
I like the Cooler Master Storm Trooper, or the Corsair 500R which you said above is nice too.

Don't have access to newegg at the moment, so if you can't find any of those parts by yourself then I'll have a look for you.

I'm not sure what the total of all that is, but it should definitely be inside your budget. If you're going to get a keyboard too, don't get a shitty Lycosa, expensive PoS, if you're going to spend that much on a keyboard at least make it mechanical.
As for a mouse, I suggest the Logitech G500, 2000DPi is pretty low, the G500 can go up to 5700DPi and has 10 Programmable buttons.
Then with the money left over, you should be able to get a cheap 1080p monitor, but if you have 300+ left in the budget then get a catleap monitor. 120Hz, IPS, and 1440p resolution.

Look at what I just posted, tell me what things you would change.
Last edited by AyeeLG ; 05-16-2012 at 09:59 AM.
05-16-2012, 10:00 AM #13
Mezzid
< ^ > < ^ >
Originally posted by LG
Alright, im Using Newegg and heres what i got:

This build work correctly?

Prices are a bit higher than here Gasp
And Yeah I that looks pretty good, does it fit your budget?
05-16-2012, 10:06 AM #14
AyeeLG
Trustworthy lvl 1
Originally posted by Mezzid View Post
Prices are a bit higher than here Gasp
And Yeah I that looks pretty good, does it fit your budget?

If i get warranty for every item on there, it will cost $1775-$1795. Which is also with the mouse and keyboard i have selected.
05-16-2012, 10:09 AM #15
Mezzid
< ^ > < ^ >
Originally posted by LG
If i get warranty for every item on there, it will cost $1775-$1795. Which is also with the mouse and keyboard i have selected.

That's a bit pricey, I thought your prices were lower but guess not.
05-16-2012, 10:16 AM #16
AyeeLG
Trustworthy lvl 1
That's a bit pricey, I thought your prices were lower but guess not.

Without warranty it would be about $150 less.
Would i be needing anything else for the build?
05-16-2012, 10:20 AM #17
Mezzid
< ^ > < ^ >
Originally posted by LG
Without warranty it would be about $150 less.
Would i be needing anything else for the build?

I don't think so. Drack
05-16-2012, 04:52 PM #18

@ Irish Guy, sorry for bashing your post but I disagree on some points Winky Winky

The over heating problem isn't bad if you get a good CPU Cooler, which I added.
A 4.7Ghz Overclock on a sandy bridge processor is equal to a 4.2Ghz overclock on a ivy bridge, ivy bridge is better and faster on stock too regardless of overclocking.
It also has HD 4000 Graphics which is a huge improvement over the Intel 3000 graphics, not that he'll need the integrated graphics but its nice to have.
Ivy Bridge is absolutely worth an extra 20euro over the sandy bridge model.

I know he doesn't need an 850w PSU, a 650w is enough. But on a budget this high, I suggest a higher wattage one so he is future proofed and can add an extra 670 in the future if he decides he needs more power, and before you comment, I already added suggested a Sli capable motherboard.

Thats true that a 128Gb SSD is only a small bit extra. I'll agree I didn't think that one through, but 64Gb is still plenty if he did want to save 30-40euro.

The only reason you should spend more than 15-20euro on a keyboard, is if its mechanical. All those Logitech ones with the LCDs are crap, as is the Lycosa.
Crap might be a bit harsh, but the only thing they offer over a 10euro keyboard is backlighting and some macros. Get a mechanical.

As for the monitors, don't get any of them. The only thing they offer is 120Hz.
That one is 120Hz, IPS, 2560X1440 resolution, and its 27" whilst staying the same price as all them.

The following user thanked FlyingIrishMan for this useful post:

Mezzid
05-16-2012, 05:50 PM #19
Mezzid
< ^ > < ^ >
The over heating problem isn't bad if you get a good CPU Cooler, which I added.
A 4.7Ghz Overclock on a sandy bridge processor is equal to a 4.2Ghz overclock on a ivy bridge, ivy bridge is better and faster on stock too regardless of overclocking.
It also has HD 4000 Graphics which is a huge improvement over the Intel 3000 graphics, not that he'll need the integrated graphics but its nice to have.
Ivy Bridge is absolutely worth an extra 20euro over the sandy bridge model.

I know he doesn't need an 850w PSU, a 650w is enough. But on a budget this high, I suggest a higher wattage one so he is future proofed and can add an extra 670 in the future if he decides he needs more power, and before you comment, I already added suggested a Sli capable motherboard.

Thats true that a 128Gb SSD is only a small bit extra. I'll agree I didn't think that one through, but 64Gb is still plenty if he did want to save 30-40euro.

The only reason you should spend more than 15-20euro on a keyboard, is if its mechanical. All those Logitech ones with the LCDs are crap, as is the Lycosa.
Crap might be a bit harsh, but the only thing they offer over a 10euro keyboard is backlighting and some macros. Get a mechanical.

As for the monitors, don't get any of them. The only thing they offer is 120Hz.
That one is 120Hz, IPS, 2560X1440 resolution, and its 27" whilst staying the same price as all them.

The HD Graphics can be used if you don't have enough for a GFX card yet, but still want to play a bit.. other then that, 0,1 GHz higher clocked doesnt seem like profit to me. That screen you found is really good yeah, I couldnt find any like that. As for the keyboards, I just like to have a good looking comfortable one Winky Winky

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo