09-12-2013, 11:26 PM #1
Default Avatar
WOLF
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Hi guys. Recently, I've wanted to try and dual boot my Windows 8 with a Linux Distro. I've attempted to load the live CD in an attempt to install it in VirtualBox but it freezes no matter what I do once it gets to the install page so I skipped this and went straight to dual booting.

So, doing some research, I found I needed to disable Secure Boot, which, I can't change on my PC unless I'm in Legacy Bios. After I change the PC to boot using Legacy instead of UEFI, the computer booted straight into the CD. I hadn't partitioned my drive yet, so I took the disc out, restarted the PC, and was greeted with the "insert bootable media" error, as if it couldn't find the Windows 8 install.

Being perplexed, I accessed the bios options again and set it to boot with UEFI again, which turns the Secure Boot back on. Resetting the computer leads me straight back to Windows 8 with or without the Linux disc in the drive.

Keep in mind that under Legacy, I have the option to choose my boot device, and even after choosing my drive, it fails to see that Windows is installed there.

Any ideas?
11-14-2013, 09:03 AM #2
RADDY1993
< ^ > < ^ >
Have you tried booting from a usb ?.
11-14-2013, 11:51 AM #3
Default Avatar
WOLF
I got this figured our a while ago. I simply uninstalled W8 like I should have to begin with and installed Windows 7 with Ubuntu.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo