RIP PICHU.
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

The following 2 users say thank you to Pichu for this useful post:

SnaY, SNMT| Havoc
08-11-2013, 01:32 AM #11
Master Ro
I make food
Originally posted by Pichu View Post
This is just an example of something simple. There is good practice in everything but you need to look at the situation at hand. If one was to ultimately handle user information that allowed for registration, the best method would be to handle it all on a server where the information is stored, that way that information is kept from the users.

Putting things in a resource file, example, minecraft; where the password is stored is one thing. The problem with that is that if a user wanted access to that file and the contents, they would easily be able to reflect your program and access the data of that file by reversing your encryption or just following how you decrypt it within the program.

Code being easier to read, if you code in user login details within an application; it's not hard to make it neat. If anything, you can create a list that has a corresponding list

It's all about the situation though, please understand that.

If I was truly going to create a program that required login, I'd still just create an output file using SQL.

The reason why I am saying the above is because these are the arguments you will hear. One thing is not always best; it's all based upon the situation.

When you program something, you want to use the best method possible. I understand this is simple, but it has a familiar concept.
When you program, even simple things, it's better to use good practice (it sticks this way).

I didn't mean put it in a resource file for security reasons. People can just as easily penetrate a resource file.

I disagree with you saying that it matters about the situation on hand. Just because you have a simple situation, doesn't mean you should teach people bad practice. Even if you're writing 10 lines of code, you want to make those 10 lines the best and neatest you can possibly make them Smile
08-11-2013, 08:22 AM #12
Pichu
RIP PICHU.
Originally posted by Master
When you program something, you want to use the best method possible. I understand this is simple, but it has a familiar concept.
When you program, even simple things, it's better to use good practice (it sticks this way).

I didn't mean put it in a resource file for security reasons. People can just as easily penetrate a resource file.

I disagree with you saying that it matters about the situation on hand. Just because you have a simple situation, doesn't mean you should teach people bad practice. Even if you're writing 10 lines of code, you want to make those 10 lines the best and neatest you can possibly make them Smile

Oh, very much so; but in all matters aside; the way I set this up was to show an example. This is not meant for real world use. The tutorial is accurate and is still proper programming practice.

I say it does matter, though what you do in regards to that situation is just as important. Please note that I used const to determine that the values must not be changed, this is common programming practice that means that this data must not be tampered with. Most tutorials online you see regarding that doesn't even bother doing that.

I think you are over-analyzing the tutorial and are trying to put it into a larger perspective than it actually should be in.
10-19-2013, 08:46 PM #13
SNMT| Havoc
Do a barrel roll!
Great tut for beginners Happy

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo