01-31-2012, 02:43 PM #1
Shebang
Bring back the smileys!
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Welcome to my thread! Here you will learn how to build a gaming computer on different budgets, and how to decide on your parts. All of this will include the seperate parts for the PC, and will not contain ANY pre-built PC's. Just click next to start the tutorial Winky Winky. Also, an asterisk (*) next to the product means that either I or a friend with a custom built PC owns this products and LOVES it

[multipage=Price Range]

These are the different price ranges I will be working with in this thread.

700$ - 999$

1,000$ - 1,399$

1,400$ - 1,999$

2,000$ - 2,999$

3,000$ +++

[multipage=Central Processing Unit (CPU)]

700$ - 999$
I would recommend no more than a quad core if you are buying in this range, and DEFINITELY not an Intel processor, as an AMD one works just as well and will save you money in the long run. All of the processors I list here are under 175$. Here is the set of processors I would reccomend, and there will be a link to each product with it:
You must login or register to view this content.

You must login or register to view this content. *

1,000$ - 1,399$
This is the point where I would start considering a six core processor, although once again, it is not necessary. I will be including mainly Intel processors at this point, as some people do buy for the name as well. I don't believe any of these processors go above 215$ as well.

You must login or register to view this content.You must login or register to view this content.

1,400$ - 1,999$
This is pretty much the price point where I recommend you jump off the AMD train. You can still use a processor of theirs, but you can also buy for the brand name of Intel, your choice. Just because we are in the 1,400$ to 1,999$ range does not mean you have to get the best processor, but it should be thought about. None of the 3 processors in this section will be over 370$.

2,000$ - 2,999$
From here on out, there will only be six core processors, and they will only be Intel. Some of you may be wondering why the AMD eight-core processor is not on this list, and it is for the simple reason that I have owned one, and it performed WORSE than my AMD II X4 980 Black Edition from before on this list. These 2 processors are both below 600$.

3,000$ +++
Here is where we get to the processor I like, and dislike at the same time for it's intense as hell price. You want the name, you got it. You will have bragging rights for years for owning this baby, and with a price tag of 1,000$, your paycheck must also be something to brag about.

[multipage=Graphics Processing Unit (GPU)]

Ah, my favourite section of the computer, the graphics processor. We are going to get to some insane ass sh*t. Please do note, that unless otherwise stated, these are gaming-oriented cards, and will do less than a specialized graphics card to help with rendering programs. All of the AMD cards will be the Sapphire version, and all the nVidia cards will be the EVGA version unless otherwise stated, as they are my favourite manufacturers of it.

700$ - 999$
Here, you can still get an amazing graphics card at a relatively low price. Most of these in the section will be AMD GPU's, as they are the best bang-for-your-buck graphics cards. All of these cards are under 200$.

You must login or register to view this content.You must login or register to view this content.

You must login or register to view this content.You must login or register to view this content. *

1,000$ - 1,399$
Time to step it up a little bit. There will be an even distribution of card types here, and this section will be quite empty compared to the others in terms of my reccomended choices. These cards will all be under 350$.

1,400$ - 1,999$
This is where we start getting into the crazy-ass cards, or you can choose to do Crossfire (AMD)/SLI (NVIDIA) with 2 cards from before to get similar performance. There will be a small amount of cards here, and they will be under 500$.

Some setups of the previous cards in SLI/Crossfire are:

2 x NVIDIA GTX 550Ti 1GB GDDR5

2 x NVIDIA GTX 560 1GB GDDR5 *

2 x AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5

2 x AMD Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5

2,000$ - 2,999$
You are in luck my friend. We will be using the two top-of-the-line graphics cards from both NVIDIA and AMD. It really doesn't get much better then this, so be prepared when I say that these cards are both upwards of 700$.

You must login or register to view this content. * (729$)

You must login or register to view this content. * (879$)

You must login or register to view this content. * (559$)

A few more Crossfire/SLI combinations that would match up are:

3 x NVIDIA GTX 550Ti

3 x NVIDIA GTX 560Ti

2 x NVIDIA GTX 570 *

3 x AMD Radeon HD 6850

3 x AMD Radeon HD 6870

2 x AMD Radeon HD 6950

3,000$ +++
Don't even think about a higher-end gaming card. That was it. This is where the big-ass, scary 3D graphics cards come out. I hope you have a nice fat paycheck, because it will all be gone by the end of this. If you just want to have normal cards in your system for gaming at this point, I would do Crossfire 6990's or SLI 590's, and you will be crying with happiness. Now, let's get on to the real sh*t. The lowest priced GOOD card in this section is 1,159$. Good luck.

You must login or register to view this content. (1,159$)
You must login or register to view this content. (1,779$)
You must login or register to view this content. (2,799$) *

You must login or register to view this content. (3,999$)

[multipage=Power Supply Units (PSU)]

All Price Ranges
Here's the thing about power supplies. Obviously, you want a power supply that can support your parts, but it's also good to have one that doesn't just cut it. Going above what you think you need prevents you from frying your PSU, and also can allow you to upgrade certain parts in the future. Assuming you are in the range of under 1000$, you should be thinking about a 750W or 850W PSU. If you are that intense kid with 10 grand in his pocket to spend on parts, you will likely need a 1300W to 1500W PSU. Sounds like a lot, but trust me, YOU NEED IT. For PSU's, I'd recommend looking at Thermaltake for anything larger than an 850W PSU, and Corsair (specifically the enthusiast series) for any lower denominations of PSU's. Just go to You must login or register to view this content. and browse through the different PSU's to find what you think you need. Also, remember that if you need any help, just post a comment below and I'll help as soon as I can.

[multipage=Motherboard]

Stuff To Be Added

[multipage=Memory (RAM)]

All Price Ranges
Contrary to popular belief, more ram does not necessarily increase your gaming experience, as it really depends on the game. Despite what I just said, however, it's better to have more and not need all of it than have less and not be able to play a game. Price range generally doesn't have an impact when it comes to RAM, but here are some different types of RAM for those wanting a casual gaming experience (You must login or register to view this content., You must login or register to view this content. and You must login or register to view this content.). If you looked at all of those, you should have noticed that the max speed on the first two was 1600MHz, while the max speed on the last one was 1333MHz. My friends, do not fool yourselfs by buying 2000MHz RAM. My friend uses his ram on 1066MHz and plays Crisis 2 at 90-100 FPS with no issues, and 60FPS recording. Now, I know not all of this comes down to RAM, but it isn't necessary to buy a high speed RAM set. Don't get more than 1600MHz RAM, unless you really want more, or you are running a server (which is a fairly blank PC that usually has 24-32GB of RAM). If that is what you are interested in, You must login or register to view this content. is a set of 24GB of ram that will suit your needs. Notice it's max speed is only 1333MHz. IGNORE IT. It is perfectly good memory, and will do whatever you need it to do and better.

[multipage=Hard Drive + SSD]

Stuff To Be Added

[multipage=Cases]

All Price Ranges
Pretty easy to choose a case for your computer. I recommend Antec cases, because they are cheap and very well-made. Most of them come with four or more fans, and most range for between 30$-90$. Keeps your stuff cool very well. Just search up "Antec case" on the hardware website you're on, and I'm sure you'll find something that suits you!

[multipage=Monitors]

Stuff To Be Added

The following 4 users say thank you to Shebang for this useful post:

Boris Johnson, CleanMODSHD, Clutch Hunterr, Mezzid
01-31-2012, 03:59 PM #2
Boris Johnson
Craigy...Craigo!
I won't be using this however I can see this being very useful for others
02-01-2012, 07:14 PM #3
Axiom
PC Gamer
Originally posted by ThatPurpleNigga View Post
Welcome to my thread! Here you will learn how to build a gaming computer on different budgets, and how to decide on your parts. All of this will include the seperate parts for the PC, and will not contain ANY pre-built PC's. Just click next to start the tutorial Winky Winky. Also, an asterisk (*) next to the product means that either I or a friend with a custom built PC owns this products and LOVES it

EDIT: My mistake

Nice thread, should be handy for lots of members. :y:
Last edited by Axiom ; 02-01-2012 at 08:19 PM.
02-01-2012, 07:39 PM #4
CraigMurray95
Do a barrel roll!
Originally posted by Axiom View Post
Either some of the pricing is wrong in your thread or us people in the UK get GPU's alot cheaper.

Sapphire 2GB HD6950 = £209.99 You must login or register to view this content.
£209.99 = $332.46
You put it in the "1,000$ - 1,399$" price range.

Nice thread though, should be handy for lots of members. :y:

I think the price range is for the pc as a whole , and not just the GPU? i.e if your budget for your entire pc is within that price range , go for one of those
02-01-2012, 08:18 PM #5
Axiom
PC Gamer
Originally posted by CraigMurray95 View Post
I think the price range is for the pc as a whole , and not just the GPU? i.e if your budget for your entire pc is within that price range , go for one of those

Ah, I see. My mistake lol.
02-01-2012, 08:25 PM #6
Nice Guide

Im gonna build this:

-ROG Rampage IV GENE X79 mATX motherboard
-GTX 580
-4gb ddr3 1600mhz
-i5
-700W

Price? I dont know, Im gonna ask to the shop
02-02-2012, 01:16 AM #7
Winning
Former Staff
Title is misleading. But all you really need is the Falcon Guide.
02-02-2012, 08:26 PM #8
Millz
Worth the Weight
Originally posted by parat0d0s View Post
Nice Guide

Im gonna build this:

-GTX 580
-4gb ddr3 1600mhz
-i5
-700W

Why would you get an X79 motherboard if you are going to be using an i5?

ANd 4GB of RAM is stupoidly low, get 8GB. RAM is cheap.
02-02-2012, 11:31 PM #9
Originally posted by Millz59 View Post

Its true, Ill redo the specs and ask for price.
02-02-2012, 11:38 PM #10
Shebang
Bring back the smileys!
Originally posted by Millz59 View Post

Agreed.

Originally posted by parat0d0s View Post
Nice Guide

Im gonna build this:

-GTX 580
-4gb ddr3 1600mhz
-i5
-700W

You're willing to spend $300 on a motherboard, with just an i5? Either tone down the motherboard, or get an i7, maybe an i7-2600k or i7-920.

Originally posted by Winning View Post
Title is misleading. But all you really need is the Falcon Guide.

How is the title misleading? And what is the Falcon Guide?

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo