08-02-2012, 06:35 PM #1
Jakeyy
Expect the unexpected!
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Ok so soon I will be building a PC, and well I don't know the best parts and everything that are around ATM, I will have a £1200 Budget, I will have been looking around at parts.

So was wondering for your best ideas Smile

Parts I was looking at, What do you guys think?
CPU- i7 3770k Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz
MotherBoard- MSI Z77A-G45, Intel Z77, S 1155, DDR3, SATA III - 6Gb/s, SATA RAID, PCIe 3.0 (x16), D-Sub/ DVI-D/ HDMI, ATX
PSU- 750W Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750M
GPU- 3GB Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 Overclocked, 5500MHz GDDR5, 1000MHz, DVI-I/ HDMI/ 2x mini DisplayPort
RAM- 8GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz CAS- 8-8-8-24
HDD- 2TB Seagate 7200RPM Sata 3
SSD- Corsair Force Series 3 120GB
Case- Coolmaster Storm Trooper
CPU Cooler- Corsair H80

wonder if you could leave me with some ideas, maybe about better parts, don't want to get the wrong parts Smile
Last edited by Jakeyy ; 08-02-2012 at 07:03 PM.
08-02-2012, 08:51 PM #2
Millz
Worth the Weight
Those are great parts. I really couldn't list any more "correct" parts to go with that system. Like I said in the Shoubox though, if you are going to overclock and/or tweak with settings I wouldn't recommend that motherboard. However, it's difficult to find a board for a similar price that still preforms very well. You could use something like this instead if you'd like. You must login or register to view this content.

Personally as you know I love ASUS. But if I had to choose my second favourite it would be AsRock. But let's not play favourites here, AsRock motherboards are very reliable, and are easy to overclock with.
08-02-2012, 08:56 PM #3
ResistTheSun
In Flames Much?
Overclocking without upgrading your cooling system a bad idea.

Good part list i guess the SSD is going to have your OS on it?
08-02-2012, 09:57 PM #4
Toke
PC Master Race
he has a great pc case, and a h80 cpu cooler

---------- Post added at 05:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:54 PM ----------

watch out as that case was a rubber outside and might smell a little bad, but its a great case if that bothers you can get the HAF 932 or the corsair 600t theyre both great cases
08-02-2012, 10:05 PM #5
RGB
2JZ BBWWARRMMMMM
Originally posted by Jake View Post
Ok so soon I will be building a PC, and well I don't know the best parts and everything that are around ATM, I will have a £1200 Budget, I will have been looking around at parts.

So was wondering for your best ideas Smile

Parts I was looking at, What do you guys think?
CPU- i7 3770k Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz
MotherBoard- MSI Z77A-G45, Intel Z77, S 1155, DDR3, SATA III - 6Gb/s, SATA RAID, PCIe 3.0 (x16), D-Sub/ DVI-D/ HDMI, ATX
PSU- 750W Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750M
GPU- 3GB Gigabyte Radeon HD 7970 Overclocked, 5500MHz GDDR5, 1000MHz, DVI-I/ HDMI/ 2x mini DisplayPort
RAM- 8GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz CAS- 8-8-8-24
HDD- 2TB Seagate 7200RPM Sata 3
SSD- Corsair Force Series 3 120GB
Case- Coolmaster Storm Trooper
CPU Cooler- Corsair H80

wonder if you could leave me with some ideas, maybe about better parts, don't want to get the wrong parts Smile

Good Setup there, Future proof too for a few years The cooling should be fine if you're going to overclock, just monitor your temperatures. Don't foget to install the OS on the SSD!!

You'll also need a mouse keyboard and monitor if you don't already have them.

Good brands for mouse and keyboards are ThermalTake and Razor, I also got a TV Monitor Yesterday for £140

You must login or register to view this content.
08-02-2012, 11:09 PM #6
Jakeyy
Expect the unexpected!
Originally posted by ResistTheSun View Post
Overclocking without upgrading your cooling system a bad idea.

Good part list i guess the SSD is going to have your OS on it?

Yep the SSD is for OS, and Anti-Virus Mainly, Might put Important software on it aswell Smile

---------- Post added at 11:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 PM ----------

Originally posted by RGB View Post
Good Setup there, Future proof too for a few years The cooling should be fine if you're going to overclock, just monitor your temperatures. Don't foget to install the OS on the SSD!!

You'll also need a mouse keyboard and monitor if you don't already have them.

Good brands for mouse and keyboards are ThermalTake and Razor, I also got a TV Monitor Yesterday for £140

You must login or register to view this content.

Ye the Keyboard and Mouse I already know what I'm probably getting, Monitor I have a spare one that will do till I find a better one for the time being, Plus also have a Old spare Keyboard and mouse if I go over the budget Smile

As I said to Resist the SSD is for OS and Anti-Virus mainly Smile
And I probably ain't going to OC as knowing me I will fuck something up Smile

---------- Post added 08-03-2012 at 12:09 AM ---------- Previous post was 08-02-2012 at 11:38 PM ----------

Originally posted by Millz59 View Post
Those are great parts. I really couldn't list any more "correct" parts to go with that system. Like I said in the Shoubox though, if you are going to overclock and/or tweak with settings I wouldn't recommend that motherboard. However, it's difficult to find a board for a similar price that still preforms very well. You could use something like this instead if you'd like. You must login or register to view this content.

Personally as you know I love ASUS. But if I had to choose my second favourite it would be AsRock. But let's not play favourites here, AsRock motherboards are very reliable, and are easy to overclock with.

I'm going to look at different Motherboards soon, I just saw that one and it had 2x PCI express 3.0, so would be good for 2x 7970's or 2x 680's if I wanted to Crossfire/SLi Smile
08-02-2012, 11:56 PM #7
Millz
Worth the Weight
Yep the SSD is for OS, and Anti-Virus Mainly, Might put Important software on it aswell Smile

---------- Post added at 11:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 PM ----------

Ye the Keyboard and Mouse I already know what I'm probably getting, Monitor I have a spare one that will do till I find a better one for the time being, Plus also have a Old spare Keyboard and mouse if I go over the budget Smile

As I said to Resist the SSD is for OS and Anti-Virus mainly Smile
And I probably ain't going to OC as knowing me I will fuck something up Smile

---------- Post added 08-03-2012 at 12:09 AM ---------- Previous post was 08-02-2012 at 11:38 PM ----------

I'm going to look at different Motherboards soon, I just saw that one and it had 2x PCI express 3.0, so would be good for 2x 7970's or 2x 680's if I wanted to Crossfire/SLi Smile

Sounds fine. If you are going to overclock at the very least you must get a H80 or an equivalent air cooler. Ivy Bridge runs quite hot and even my H80 temps are higher than what I'd like them to be at.
08-03-2012, 12:11 AM #8
Jakeyy
Expect the unexpected!
Sounds fine. If you are going to overclock at the very least you must get a H80 or an equivalent air cooler. Ivy Bridge runs quite hot and even my H80 temps are higher than what I'd like them to be at.

Was going to get the H80, but when you say it gets quite hot do you mean like performance damaging temps? or dangerous temps for the CPU?
08-03-2012, 12:20 AM #9
Millz
Worth the Weight
Was going to get the H80, but when you say it gets quite hot do you mean like performance damaging temps? or dangerous temps for the CPU?

No nothing serious. It's mainly due to the fact that since I've moved I am now in a room without air conditioner. Usually at a simple 4.5GHz the temps hit 70-75 degrees Celsius. (With AC)

Anything under 80 is within Intel spec and should not degrade your CPU. (The temps I'm measuring are while using the stress testing application Prime 95 at full load after a few hours)

The problem is actually not that, it's the fact that Ivy Bridge is significantly hotter than Sandy Bridge is. So now having good cooling is more important than ever with these chips if you are overclocking. The good thing is that the voltages on these chips are lower, which means the heat is cut back a bit. But even with voltages cut back a bit you're going to be getting higher temperatures than you would with Sandy Bridge.

Overall I'd recommend the H80. It's fine and you shouldn't have any problems with an overclock of around 4.5GHz even on Ivy Bridge.
08-03-2012, 12:33 AM #10
Jakeyy
Expect the unexpected!
No nothing serious. It's mainly due to the fact that since I've moved I am now in a room without air conditioner. Usually at a simple 4.5GHz the temps hit 70-75 degrees Celsius. (With AC)

Anything under 80 is within Intel spec and should not degrade your CPU. (The temps I'm measuring are while using the stress testing application Prime 95 at full load after a few hours)

The problem is actually not that, it's the fact that Ivy Bridge is significantly hotter than Sandy Bridge is. So now having good cooling is more important than ever with these chips if you are overclocking. The good thing is that the voltages on these chips are lower, which means the heat is cut back a bit. But even with voltages cut back a bit you're going to be getting higher temperatures than you would with Sandy Bridge.

Overall I'd recommend the H80. It's fine and you shouldn't have any problems with an overclock of around 4.5GHz even on Ivy Bridge.

Well I'm not planning on OCing if I do it won't be a massive OC, and I live in UK so temps are kind of cool here Smile
And I read that the Dye on the CPU's are different causing the Temps to be hotter :( Kind of stupid of Intel TBH Smile

Ok then seems safe to get the H80 and Ivy Bridge then!

Thanks man :wub:

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo