04-03-2013, 04:25 PM #1
revel
Media Team Wannabe
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); So I want to buy a gaming pc(desktop)

I know I can build one and get more bang for my buck but I was wondering If I should get a alienware or another computer brand

Can you please tell me the best computer I can get for 1000-1500(without monitor)

I need something can run new games on high setting while I record with fraps
I want the most out of it so do your magic

or you could tell me what I could build with the 1500
04-06-2013, 12:46 AM #11
BuFu_EVO
Do a barrel roll!
You must login or register to view this content. or if you not in uk google custom made pcs you pick what you want it tends to be cheaper than stock pc's from shops and better u design it in seconds
04-06-2013, 09:00 PM #12
Commodent
Sooper ginius
You don't need i7 unless you need hyperthreading. You don't need it if don't you edit a lot.
Noctua NH-D14 is better CPU-cooler
8 GB RAM is enough. Anything more is overkill. Need Low Profile for CPU-cooler I mentioned.
512 GB SSD? Are you insane? 100-200 GB is more than enough. Go for the Samsung 830-series
Go for Nvidia GTX 670. Only 5% weaker than GTX 680
Fractal Design Define R4 is one of the best cases atm if you think functionality. Sleek design, too.
I'd recommend Corsair TX 750. More than you need, but just in case you want to put graphics card in SLI or something later.
04-06-2013, 09:42 PM #13
Originally posted by Commodent View Post
You don't need i7 unless you need hyperthreading. You don't need it if don't you edit a lot.

Correct. Although it does improve gaming performance it doesn't do so enough to warrant the price increase.

OP however is into video editing, at least enough to mention it, and he can afford it, so why not?

Originally posted by another user
8 GB RAM is enough. Anything more is overkill. Need Low Profile for CPU-cooler I mentioned.

If he edits and renders in whatever program, has a web browser open, a music player open, a game open and a few miscellaneous background apps he could easily surpass 8GB. Whilst I usually recommend people stick to 8GB if you're video editing then 16GB ensures you won't have any arbitrary limits. By the way, I have 16GB, I reach around 10GB usage at least every other day due to the amount of tasks I'm dealing with at the same time. That number will only increase with time.

512 GB SSD? Are you insane? 100-200 GB is more than enough.\

No it isn't, not if you want all of your games and programs running without a storage device (HDD) bottle-necking your load times. Sure, it's expensive, but OP can afford it. So could I and it's bloody marvelous.

Go for Nvidia GTX 670. Only 5% weaker than GTX 680

The 7950 destroys both of those in price/performance. The only downside to AMD is the lack of PhysX, but AMD now have (a better optimized) TressFX. Not only that, but the PS4, which is running AMD hardware, has PhysX support. That should hopefully make its way onto AMD desktops shortly.
04-07-2013, 09:15 AM #14
Commodent
Sooper ginius
Originally posted by Clutch
Correct. Although it does improve gaming performance it doesn't do so enough to warrant the price increase.

OP however is into video editing, at least enough to mention it, and he can afford it, so why not?

Because it's basicly only useful if you do video editing. It's up to him. If he doesn't edit so much then save those 100$ and use it on a better graphics card, for example.

No it isn't, not if you want all of your games and programs running without a storage device (HDD) bottle-necking your load times. Sure, it's expensive, but OP can afford it. So could I and it's bloody marvelous.

I have a 240 GB SSD, and I have all my games and software on the the SSD. I haven't even filled it up halfways. 512 GB is a waste of money. Spare those money and buy 2 x 7970/670 to set up in Crossfire/SLI.

The 7950 destroys both of those in price/performance. The only downside to AMD is the lack of PhysX, but AMD now have (a better optimized) TressFX. Not only that, but the PS4, which is running AMD hardware, has PhysX support. That should hopefully make its way onto AMD desktops shortly.

Then go for the Radeon 7970 GHz Edition. He can afford it, so why not? I would never go for AMD, though, as they have proven to me to be unreliable and have horrible drivers.
Just because future graphics card may get PhysX that doesn't mean existing AMD-cards will get it. PhysX is a function built in the card, so it's nothing you can get over a software update or something.
04-07-2013, 01:14 PM #15
Because it's basicly only useful if you do video editing. It's up to him. If he doesn't edit so much then save those 100$ and use it on a better graphics card, for example.

No, it is useful outside of video editing. Worth the price increase(editing aside)? No. Better anyway, yes. Look at some benchmarks.

I have a 240 GB SSD, and I have all my games and software on the the SSD. I haven't even filled it up halfways. 512 GB is a waste of money. Spare those money and buy 2 x 7970/670 to set up in Crossfire/SLI.

That can't be many games or programs. My SSD is at around 450GB usage constantly.

Don't suggest Crossfire setups. Look up the whole fuss there's been lately over what are essentially 'dud' frames - something that both SLI & Crossfire suffer from, albeit the latter quite significantly more.

Basically, your FPS looks around double, but you only see around the same number of frames as you did prior to doubling up your cards.

Then go for the Radeon 7970 GHz Edition. He can afford it, so why not?

As far as I'm aware GHz edition is basically just factory overclocked - waste of money as in it literally serves no purpose.

7970 vs 7950 - sure, if he wants he can upgrade to the 7970, but the 7950 can overclock beyond the stock 7970 quite easily. It's up to OP.

I would never go for AMD, though, as they have proven to me to be unreliable and have horrible drivers.

I used NVIDIA's drivers last year and am using AMD drivers at the moment. They're both functional but outdated, IMO.

Just because future graphics card may get PhysX that doesn't mean existing AMD-cards will get it.

The PS4 isn't using a future graphics card, it's basically using a 7850. The only modification is to the memory (the whole shared memory thing), which has no impact on PhysX functionality whatsoever.

PhysX is a function built in the card, so it's nothing you can get over a software update or something.

That's actually exactly incorrect. AMD cards are capable of PhysX, maybe even more-so than NVIDIA cards - it's solely down to software and licensing.
04-07-2013, 02:49 PM #16
FiNal_EleMeNt
Bounty hunter
i got alienware that cost 1500. got it for christmas.
04-07-2013, 04:14 PM #17
Commodent
Sooper ginius
Originally posted by Clutch
No, it is useful outside of video editing. Worth the price increase(editing aside)? No. Better anyway, yes. Look at some benchmarks.

Although he can afford it I guess he wants more bang for the buck. I bet that's the reason you suggested 7950?

That can't be many games or programs. My SSD is at around 450GB usage constantly.

That's a hell of a lot. I HIGHLY doubt OP has such needs.

Don't suggest Crossfire setups. Look up the whole fuss there's been lately over what are essentially 'dud' frames - something that both SLI & Crossfire suffer from, albeit the latter quite significantly more.

I have 2 x 670 in SLI, and I have no problems. Not so sure about crossfire, though...

As far as I'm aware GHz edition is basically just factory overclocked - waste of money as in it literally serves no purpose.

They usually have better fans, but you have a point.

7970 vs 7950 - sure, if he wants he can upgrade to the 7970, but the 7950 can overclock beyond the stock 7970 quite easily. It's up to OP.

Yeah, and 7970 can overclock beyond that again.
04-07-2013, 06:09 PM #18
Although he can afford it I guess he wants more bang for the buck. I bet that's the reason you suggested 7950?

I guess so. He said he was into video editing so the multithreading capabilities of the 3770k took priority budget-wise.

That's a hell of a lot. I HIGHLY doubt OP has such needs.

This also excludes any music or videos which are on my hard drive. It's not a lot at all.

Games like Max Payne 3 alone take up 30GB+.

I have 2 x 670 in SLI, and I have no problems. Not so sure about crossfire, though...

You don't realise it but the problems are there. Do some research.

Yeah, and 7970 can overclock beyond that again.

Very true, but I can't think of any games other than Crysis 3 that actually demand that much graphical power.

Basically, both options are viable, it's up to OP.
04-07-2013, 06:37 PM #19
Toke
PC Master Race
Originally posted by revel View Post
So I want to buy a gaming pc(desktop)

I know I can build one and get more bang for my buck but I was wondering If I should get a alienware or another computer brand

Can you please tell me the best computer I can get for 1000-1500(without monitor)

I need something can run new games on high setting while I record with fraps
I want the most out of it so do your magic

or you could tell me what I could build with the 1500

my pcs are suppior if ur paying $1500 get a $300 1440p monitor your editing and gaming will be better. for video editing dont get a fucking nvidia card the newest ones don't help also get a 7970 because they have more raw power for editing powering displays and are great for gaming You must login or register to view this content. should be a great option will game well will overclock well the h110 is made for that case and will go together great and filled with high quality parts

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo