06-01-2013, 01:54 AM #1
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Ok so I haven't bought a new PC in years (and I mean like since 2005-06) and I've never built a PC before but I want to do one now instead of buying a pre-built one. Like I said I've never done it before and need opinions / suggestions on these parts and if you have anything better for the price or performance, let me know. I am on a budget of around $800 so I can't go all out on everything. Anyways, let me know if I messed up or if there's anything better:

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912
You must login or register to view this content.

Motherboard: AS Rock LGA1155 Z77

CPU: Intel i5 3570k

Memory: Kingston HyperX 8GB

HDSad Awesome WD Blue 1TB

Video Card: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 660 OC 2GB

Power Supply: Cooler Master 500w

Optical Drive: Lite-On IHAS124-04

So anyways the price comes out to ~$815. Any suggestions? Or does this look fine?

And then on another note I was looking at this Dell PC
It's $800 but it looks pretty good. Compared to the build above? Better? Worse?
06-01-2013, 02:52 AM #2
Toke
PC Master Race
Originally posted by Stone View Post
Ok so I haven't bought a new PC in years (and I mean like since 2005-06) and I've never built a PC before but I want to do one now instead of buying a pre-built one. Like I said I've never done it before and need opinions / suggestions on these parts and if you have anything better for the price or performance, let me know. I am on a budget of around $800 so I can't go all out on everything. Anyways, let me know if I messed up or if there's anything better:

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912

Motherboard: AS Rock LGA1155 Z77

CPU: Intel i5 3570k

Memory: Kingston HyperX 8GB

HDSad Awesome WD Blue 1TB

Video Card: Gigabyte Geforce GTX 660 OC 2GB

Power Supply: Cooler Master 500w

Optical Drive: Lite-On IHAS124-04

So anyways the price comes out to ~$815. Any suggestions? Or does this look fine?

And then on another note I was looking at this Dell PC
It's $800 but it looks pretty good. Compared to the build above? Better? Worse?

You must login or register to view this content. amd 8 core, will overclock well, has a 64gb ssd for a boot drive and a stronger graphics card and $820, you dont need a disk drive as most of us just have usb 2,3 ones there like $10 and we use them once in a blue moon

The following user thanked Toke for this useful post:

Stone
06-01-2013, 07:24 AM #3
I'll suggest a build as soon as PC Part Picker starts working again. Toke's build is good though.
06-01-2013, 03:46 PM #4
Snipesome
Error… Cat invasion!
I like tokes build. But on the cpu cooler just get the hyper 212 evo. It is newer and the same price (give or take 5 bucks) and it cools more efficiently supposedly.
06-01-2013, 08:02 PM #5
Thanks guys for the opinions and suggestions. I used Toke's build (& Snipes suggestion) to come up with a slightly different (totally different from my original build) and a little cheaper build that I swapped a few parts for. I researched a few of them to make sure they had good ratings and etc.

Anyways here it is.

Can you guys tell me if that looks OK to you? Is the motherboard/case alright with the CPU/GPU and everything else would fit together nicely? It's ~815 which like I said was my budget although it would be nice to drop closer to 799 but it's fine. The fan would seem like the thing to maybe drop since I read the case I chose comes with fans but I don't know if they would be efficient enough to keep everything cool. Also I like the SSD and maybe I'll get that as a boot drive if I have enough $ for it after everything else, but I didn't want to include that in my build.

Edit - As an alternative to the case I chose (which doesn't have USB 3 on the front panel which isn't even a big deal for me but..) here's something I saw that's still under $100 and might be an OK replacement for the HAF I chose.

Last edited by Stone ; 06-01-2013 at 08:16 PM.
06-01-2013, 08:10 PM #6
sauib786
Do a barrel roll!
go with ati radeon for a graphics card not hating or anything nvidia is not doing so well on there cards try a ati 7770 or higher
06-01-2013, 08:18 PM #7
Toke
PC Master Race
Thanks guys for the opinions and suggestions. I used Toke's build (& Snipes suggestion) to come up with a slightly different (totally different from my original build) and a little cheaper build that I swapped a few parts for. I researched a few of them to make sure they had good ratings and etc.

Anyways here it is.

Can you guys tell me if that looks OK to you? Is the motherboard/case alright with the CPU/GPU and everything else would fit together nicely? It's ~815 which like I said was my budget although it would be nice to drop closer to 799 but it's fine. The fan would seem like the thing to maybe drop since I read the case I chose comes with fans but I don't know if they would be efficient enough to keep everything cool. Also I like the SSD and maybe I'll get that as a boot drive if I have enough $ for it after everything else, but I didn't want to include that in my build.

Edit - As an alternative to the case I chose (which doesn't have USB 3 on the front panel which isn't even a big deal for me but..) here's something I saw that's still under $100 and might be an OK replacement for the HAF I chose.

that motherboard wont fit in a 200r, try a tempest 410 for a usb3 case etc

---------- Post added at 04:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 PM ----------

Originally posted by sauib786 View Post
go with ati radeon for a graphics card not hating or anything nvidia is not doing so well on there cards try a ati 7770 or higher

we are alot higher than a 7770 did you even read the thread?

The following user thanked Toke for this useful post:

Stone
06-01-2013, 08:25 PM #8
Originally posted by Toke View Post
that motherboard wont fit in a 200r, try a tempest 410 for a usb3 case etc

---------- Post added at 04:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 PM ----------

we are alot higher than a 7770 did you even read the thread?

Alright thanks for letting me know :y: So it looks like the Tempest 410 is a good choice.

---

And to the poster above, yes I was suggested to go with a Radeon 7870 which looks very good. Not considering the 660 build anymore.
06-01-2013, 08:29 PM #9
Toke
PC Master Race
Alright thanks for letting me know :y: So it looks like the Tempest 410 is a good choice.

---

And to the poster above, yes I was suggested to go with a Radeon 7870 which looks very good. Not considering the 660 build anymore.

both are equal but the 7870 overclocks higher, 660 has better drivers and is cheaper and get 1866 ram its faster and ur pc will be faster why you get rid of the 64gb ssd?

---------- Post added at 04:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27 PM ----------

Originally posted by snipesome View Post
I like tokes build. But on the cpu cooler just get the hyper 212 evo. It is newer and the same price (give or take 5 bucks) and it cools more efficiently supposedly.

there basically the same thing
06-01-2013, 08:42 PM #10
both are equal but the 7870 overclocks higher, 660 has better drivers and is cheaper and get 1866 ram its faster and ur pc will be faster

Alright thank you for the advice. I switched the RAM to the 1866 you recommended. Ok so here's the thing. I see you said the 7870 is better for overclocking, but what if I'm not gonna be overclocking anything at all? Do you recommend the 660 then? I just checked and it would be about a $50 price difference on Amazon but is the 7870 very much better then the 660 that $50 wouldn't matter?

By the way the 660 I'm talking about is this one

---------- Post added at 04:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 PM ----------

why you get rid of the 64gb ssd?

Basically for cost reasons. I really like the idea of an SSD operating system drive, but it would drive the price from the low 800s to mid-high 800s. I could still afford it and all but I'm gonna wait and buy the SSD last if I still feel I really need it and it would be a must have.

And if I decide to get one I'd probably just spend a little more money and get a Samsung 120GB since I've heard good things about them.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo