09-03-2014, 05:21 PM #1
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Hey guys,

I'm thinking about building my own PC from scratch for my 18th and i was wondering what people thought of the following setup: You must login or register to view this content.

I'm good with computers, however I'm a software guy, not a hardware guy so I was hoping that people could recommend some changes such as better parts Smile

I'd love to hear any recommendations to change or add to the build! I'd preferably like to keep the budget under £1500 if possible though I'm looking to squeeze as much power out of the computer to last for a good few years without need of upgrading.

EDIT:
Computer usage: Gaming, Programming, Video Editing, Photoshop, Cinema 4D Renders and general day to day usage really.

Games: Anything from the almighty Steam library really and a few external games, but to name some specifics: DayZ, Arma 3, DotA2, Sid Meier's Civilization V, Portal 2, Battlefield 4 and League of Legends.

(I currently play DotA 2, Civ 5, Portal 2 and League of Legends on a i5 laptop with HD Graphics 4000 if that's worth mentioning, the others are planned games)

Programming software: Visual Studio (Windows Desktop) and IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate.

It may be worth noting I often have around 10 windows open for multitasking.
Last edited by charries96 ; 09-04-2014 at 12:27 AM.
09-10-2014, 01:07 PM #20
Originally posted by 1UP View Post
I would try to shy away from anything from TP-Link (that wireless card). They tend to be flaky at best.

Ah, my dad went ahead and bought that in advance already. :\
We have an ethernet over power setup that my younger brother and I currently share so the wireless card is really just a backup for when it's "not my turn"

If I can send it back and get a refund do you have any other recommendations for wireless cards? Smile
Last edited by charries96 ; 09-10-2014 at 01:11 PM.
09-10-2014, 01:16 PM #21
Default Avatar
Oneup
Originally posted by charries96 View Post
Ah, my dad went ahead and bought that in advance already. :\
We have an ethernet over power setup that my younger brother and I currently share so the wireless card is really just a backup for when it's "not my turn"

If I can send it back and get a refund do you have any other recommendations for wireless cards? Smile

Can't say that I do. I was on wireless for a while and I had a TP link card and it was just a massive pile of shit. Frequent drop outs and what not and since then I was able to run wire to my desktop. I mean if you are using it as a just in case thing that it probably won't matter.
09-12-2014, 10:02 AM #22
Originally posted by 1UP View Post
Can't say that I do. I was on wireless for a while and I had a TP link card and it was just a massive pile of shit. Frequent drop outs and what not and since then I was able to run wire to my desktop. I mean if you are using it as a just in case thing that it probably won't matter.

Hmm, I'll look around just incase the ethernet boxes are no longer an option for whatever reason. Better to be safe than sorry, right?

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo