09-03-2014, 05:21 PM #1
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Hey guys,

I'm thinking about building my own PC from scratch for my 18th and i was wondering what people thought of the following setup: You must login or register to view this content.

I'm good with computers, however I'm a software guy, not a hardware guy so I was hoping that people could recommend some changes such as better parts Smile

I'd love to hear any recommendations to change or add to the build! I'd preferably like to keep the budget under £1500 if possible though I'm looking to squeeze as much power out of the computer to last for a good few years without need of upgrading.

EDIT:
Computer usage: Gaming, Programming, Video Editing, Photoshop, Cinema 4D Renders and general day to day usage really.

Games: Anything from the almighty Steam library really and a few external games, but to name some specifics: DayZ, Arma 3, DotA2, Sid Meier's Civilization V, Portal 2, Battlefield 4 and League of Legends.

(I currently play DotA 2, Civ 5, Portal 2 and League of Legends on a i5 laptop with HD Graphics 4000 if that's worth mentioning, the others are planned games)

Programming software: Visual Studio (Windows Desktop) and IntelliJ IDEA Ultimate.

It may be worth noting I often have around 10 windows open for multitasking.
Last edited by charries96 ; 09-04-2014 at 12:27 AM.
09-03-2014, 05:30 PM #2
Master0wn3r
I’m too L33T
Originally posted by charries96 View Post
Hey guys,

I'm thinking about building my own gaming PC from scratch for my 18th and i was wondering what people thought of the following setup:
You must login or register to view this content.

I'm good with computers, however I'm a software guy, not a hardware guy so I was hoping that people could recommend some changes such as better parts Smile

16gb and GTX and 8 cores should be more than enough, especially when you build software and or multitask alot
09-03-2014, 06:17 PM #3
Here's a revised version of your list You must login or register to view this content.

I left some parts like the sound card since you may do music production or may have another use which will benefit from having a sound card.

16GB of RAM doesn't currently provide a big performance boost like a better GPU so I put 8GB in which should be fine for gaming.

The following 2 users say thank you to Silent Assassin for this useful post:

charries96, Toke
09-03-2014, 07:30 PM #4
Default Avatar
AK47
Not a bad build at all, What games you planning on playing?
09-03-2014, 09:17 PM #5
Toke
PC Master Race
Hey guys,

I'm thinking about building my own gaming PC from scratch for my 18th and i was wondering what people thought of the following setup:
You must login or register to view this content.

You must login or register to view this content. a good gaming setup that's plenty fast for needs

The following user thanked Toke for this useful post:

charries96
09-04-2014, 12:12 AM #6
Originally posted by Master0wn3r View Post
16gb and GTX and 8 cores should be more than enough, especially when you build software and or multitask alot

Yeah, I multitask a lot and my poor laptop can barely handle it half the time.

Originally posted by AK47 View Post
Not a bad build at all, What games you planning on playing?

Basically anything in the almighty Steam library (Civ5, Arma 3, DotA2 and Portal 2 to name a few,) League of Legends and Battlefield 4.

Originally posted by Silent
Here's a revised version of your list You must login or register to view this content.

I left some parts like the sound card since you may do music production or may have another use which will benefit from having a sound card.

16GB of RAM doesn't currently provide a big performance boost like a better GPU so I put 8GB in which should be fine for gaming.

Thanks, will definitely consider the changes Smile

Originally posted by Toke View Post
You must login or register to view this content. a good gaming setup that's plenty fast for needs

Thanks, I've got some time to decide on the final build so hopefully some more people will see this so I can collect even more ideas/popular opinions Smile
Last edited by charries96 ; 09-04-2014 at 12:16 AM.
09-05-2014, 12:22 AM #7
Cryptic
Former Staff | Content Manager
Hey ng.

Solid build, rather you go with what you speced out, or what someone provided.

For your thermal paste I recommend Arctic Silver 5 - You must login or register to view this content. Nice and cheap, very good and high recommend. Used in a lot of top build I've seen.

Nice cooler too that you picked out. I'm thinking about an AF cooler and if I decide on it, that's the one I'm getting along with Silver 5 paste.

Honestly though, if you don't plan to over clock your CPU, you don't need an AF cooler.
09-05-2014, 01:40 PM #8
Originally posted by Cryptic
Solid build, rather you go with what you speced out, or what someone provided.

For your thermal paste I recommend Arctic Silver 5 - You must login or register to view this content. Nice and cheap, very good and high recommend. Used in a lot of top build I've seen.

Nice cooler too that you picked out. I'm thinking about an AF cooler and if I decide on it, that's the one I'm getting along with Silver 5 paste.

Honestly though, if you don't plan to over clock your CPU, you don't need an AF cooler.

I always expected myself to overclock at some point so this time I decided to anticipate me wanting to do it a few months later Smile
09-05-2014, 01:45 PM #9
Cryptic
Former Staff | Content Manager
I always expected myself to overclock at some point so this time I decided to anticipate me wanting to do it a few months later Smile

Smart way to plan your bid. :y: Winky Winky

Still HIGHLY recommend the paste I linked. It seems to be the one that is always recommend on /r/pcmasterrace.
09-05-2014, 02:45 PM #10
Originally posted by Cryptic
Smart way to plan your bid. :y: Winky Winky

Still HIGHLY recommend the paste I linked. It seems to be the one that is always recommend on /r/pcmasterrace.

Thanks, if it came from there then I have no doubts about it being good xD
As I said before I'm not a hardware guy, could you possibly explain why some people have recommended an Intel i5 over the AMD CPU I've chosen in my build?

I noticed they both run at 3.5GHz - though the AMD supports up to 4.0 based on some quick Googling - and that the i5 is a quad-core whilst the AMD is an octo-core.
Also noticed the price difference but that's not too much of a concern xD

When searching around a bit I noticed some people had chosen this over i7's, though I couldn't remember the numbers for the life of me :s
Last edited by charries96 ; 09-05-2014 at 02:51 PM.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo