03-17-2016, 11:24 PM #1
Passion
League Champion
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Hey everyone, i want to upgrade my RAM on my PC but some people told me that i have to buy a specific ram card for my PC. Can anyone help me find it as i'm kind of a noob when it comes to PC Builds.

My specs:
AMD Quad-Core FX-4300 3.8ghz
ATi Radeon R7-360-OC-2Gb DDR5 Dvi-HDMi-DP
SATA3 1000Gb 32Mb 7200Rpm harddisk
Micron 8Gb DDR3 1600mhz

Do i buy a 'Micron 8GB DDR3' Ram Card or something else?
Thanks
03-28-2016, 09:22 AM #20
Rawr
Can’t trickshot me!
Why do people seem to put so much emphasis on RAM? I doubt OP even needs more than 8GB.

Not sure if OP is one of these people, but there are some people in this world that seem to think RAM speeds up their PC. RAM does not affect the speed of a PC. It will not give you extra FPS in games.

DDR3-1333 vs DDR3-2400, you realistically would never notice the difference in real-world scenarios. The only time you would notice a difference would be if you had an APU build (which you don't), or if you were running a synthetic benchmark. You could mix DDR3-1333 with your DDR3-1600 kit, and while it technically would be considered a downgrade, you wouldn't notice the difference in speeds.

People with 16GB+ RAM are usually those who have heavy workloads. And to be honest, you're not going to put enough workload on a FX-4300 to require 16GB RAM. Makes no sense to put 16GB of RAM in a PC of that level. It'll just be a waste of money just so you can get some extra e-peen points. The only thing you'll be able to do is to go around on the internet and tell others that your rig has 16GB of RAM and act as though that 8GB is for nubs with weak PCs.
Last edited by Rawr ; 03-29-2016 at 06:27 PM.
03-31-2016, 01:45 PM #21
Originally posted by Rawr View Post
Why do people seem to put so much emphasis on RAM? I doubt OP even needs more than 8GB.

Not sure if OP is one of these people, but there are some people in this world that seem to think RAM speeds up their PC. RAM does not affect the speed of a PC. It will not give you extra FPS in games.

DDR3-1333 vs DDR3-2400, you realistically would never notice the difference in real-world scenarios. The only time you would notice a difference would be if you had an APU build (which you don't), or if you were running a synthetic benchmark. You could mix DDR3-1333 with your DDR3-1600 kit, and while it technically would be considered a downgrade, you wouldn't notice the difference in speeds.

People with 16GB+ RAM are usually those who have heavy workloads. And to be honest, you're not going to put enough workload on a FX-4300 to require 16GB RAM. Makes no sense to put 16GB of RAM in a PC of that level. It'll just be a waste of money just so you can get some extra e-peen points. The only thing you'll be able to do is to go around on the internet and tell others that your rig has 16GB of RAM and act as though that 8GB is for nubs with weak PCs.

If you use any editing programs you notice the difference....
03-31-2016, 08:40 PM #22
Rawr
Can’t trickshot me!
Originally posted by F33L View Post

If OP's goal is to do content creation, I would much rather save the money for a new CPU.
03-31-2016, 08:47 PM #23
Originally posted by Rawr View Post
If OP's goal is to do content creation, I would much rather save the money for a new CPU.

Also solid state memory is always faster than any mixed or pure state memory that has motion to it....
And at the very least the read and write cycles have a lot more fidelity.

Robust programs will need RAM and most people don't understand how computers multitask so they waste a lot of resources on useless shit, RAM is very much breathing room for running tasks.

You just seem so certain of misinterpretations so I had to say something, I respect your post though, it is informative to the OP's purpose.
I was definitely off in my post haha.
04-01-2016, 01:59 AM #24
Default Avatar
Oneup

No you really won't. Considering anyone who is doing anything with content creation will be using software that is going to be using the GPU's for the rendering anyways. Ram speed doesn't play a huge part in these sorts of things. Ram amount? Maybe once you start getting into higher resolutions but again, not so much.
04-01-2016, 03:25 PM #25
Originally posted by Oneup View Post
No you really won't. Considering anyone who is doing anything with content creation will be using software that is going to be using the GPU's for the rendering anyways. Ram speed doesn't play a huge part in these sorts of things. Ram amount? Maybe once you start getting into higher resolutions but again, not so much.

When I went from 8 GB to 16 GB I noticed a difference with my real time rendering in sony vegas...
It does count when multitasking when I really shouldn't be running too many processes.
Let's keep disagreeing it makes us look intelligent...
04-01-2016, 03:48 PM #26
Default Avatar
Oneup

Let's keep disagreeing it makes us look intelligent...

No, people who actually know what they are talking about are the ones who would be intelligent. The only thing ram does is allow you to run more stuff without it hitting the pagefile. That's it.

If you were somehow eating up 8GB's of memory when you were doing w.e, then yes technically you would see better performance with more ram simply because stuff was being pushed to the page file. But I doubt that is the case.
04-01-2016, 03:50 PM #27
Originally posted by Oneup View Post
No, people who actually know what they are talking about are the ones who would be intelligent. The only thing ram does is allow you to run more stuff without it hitting the pagefile. That's it.

and page files on hard drives are slower than physical memory...
now that we got to the bottom of solid state verse abstract magnetic positions for bits that need to be spun to even be read....
Are you done being cute?
04-01-2016, 03:52 PM #28
Default Avatar
Oneup

Are you done being cute?

I don't know are you done trying to talk about things you don't understand? Anytime you get proved to be wrong you do shit like this.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo