01-29-2015, 06:23 PM #1
Glenn Quagmire
Vault dweller
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Hmm this is a strange one, brought a ps3 today and got it home, apparently had a faulty disk drive however when I plugged it in, I started for 2 mins then shut down with ylod, please note at this point it had never been opened! So I opened it, hoping it was just the dust and it needed re thermal pasting, so I cleaned it out and re applied the thermal paste the way I always do that works every time like a charm however it did the same so I ran the 'fan test' twice and it stayed on this time so its not turned off since its fine now on the xmb however when I play a game eg bo2 on zombies it shuts down with ylod? Its weird one because while ever on xmb it says on for as long as you want, also I'd like to note it's blowing warm air out the back which is all good. Please help me I used Arctic MX-2? I did get some on board and removed it as good as possible but from what iv read its not conductive.... Thanks
01-29-2015, 10:16 PM #20
Glenn Quagmire
Vault dweller
Originally posted by Ghozt007 View Post
Take a heat gun and at temp 260-280 blow on cpu and gpu for 20-25 seconds each that should solve any ball issues
other than that I would recheck alignment of heatsink if it is tipped or not making proper contact

[img] [url=https://imgur.com/IjO36rs]imgur: the simple image sharer[/url] [/img]
If you can see? I have the gap on the bottom not sure why but everything is in line but its still there not sure what to do?
01-29-2015, 11:01 PM #21
Glenn Quagmire
Vault dweller
Take a heat gun and at temp 260-280 blow on cpu and gpu for 20-25 seconds each that should solve any ball issues
other than that I would recheck alignment of heatsink if it is tipped or not making proper contact

Also there are like gray marks on the edge of both he heat sink and RSX what looks like where its touched? But I couldn't be so sure..... I wanted to downgrade this but no sure if there's really any point????...
01-29-2015, 11:45 PM #22
Ghozt007
Gym leader
Originally posted by Glenn
Also there are like gray marks on the edge of both he heat sink and RSX what looks like where its touched? But I couldn't be so sure..... I wanted to downgrade this but no sure if there's really any point????...

Try putting a little piece of cushion like paper or something in that place of gap
The point i am trying to make is that if heat sink is not making proper contact then at idle ps3 can stay on even at temps above 80C
But if you run a game that takes temps over 90C over which causes YLOD
I would put bare heatsink over board and give it a run and monitor temps.
Other than that YLOD is mostly caused due to Chips not making contact to Board due to worn out balls.
Take a hair dryer and apply heat to chips 4 chips in circular motion that melts solder balls and puts them in there place.
01-29-2015, 11:49 PM #23
Ghozt007
Gym leader
Also i would clean the board with alcohol.
If you drop little dab silicone based or conductive thermal paste on board that can mess things too.

Hope you have it solved already Happy
01-30-2015, 12:30 AM #24
clayton2781
Bounty hunter
Go to an electronics store and get some flux for electronics. Apply to all main chips and hit it with a heat gun. Works everytime for me no probs after that
01-30-2015, 06:18 AM #25
Glenn Quagmire
Vault dweller
Originally posted by clayton2781 View Post
Go to an electronics store and get some flux for electronics. Apply to all main chips and hit it with a heat gun. Works everytime for me no probs after that

I have a flux pen Happy but I was playing black ops 1 zombies got to round 9 before I died, didn't freeze once:( are we safe to say it's just the RSX? As that's the graphics and it only happens during intense graphic games?
01-30-2015, 11:24 AM #26
Glenn Quagmire
Vault dweller
Also i would clean the board with alcohol.
If you drop little dab silicone based or conductive thermal paste on board that can mess things too.

Hope you have it solved already Happy

F*ck never mind was downgrading it and got to the part where I needed to install the update so turned off to take e3 out and put HDD in and its got the proper thing :(
01-30-2015, 02:57 PM #27
clayton2781
Bounty hunter
When my original phat got rlod and ylod, that was how it started. After about 4 to 5 hours of play it would shutdown and give rylod id unplug for a night and then it would work for a few hours. Then it died completely. I tore it down cleaned everything, fluxed the chips and hit it with a heat gun and have not had an issue since, it runs much cooler now. Might be a sign to reflow , clean and new paste. Goodluck
01-30-2015, 02:58 PM #28
clayton2781
Bounty hunter
How many systems have been put out of commission by bl ops 1. Lol two for me.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo