06-02-2011, 02:30 AM #1
TornadoCreator
A Storm Approaches.
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); As some of you may be aware, I wrote an article called 'You must login or register to view this content.' a couple of weeks ago. Well I also did a top 10 for the Xbox 360 and it's only fair to give that console it's limelight now. I hope you enjoy this list, if you agree, disagree, have your own top reasons... go ahead and post, this is a discussion forum after all.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone who knows me and my preferred genres of gaming would be forgiven to think that the Xbox 360 is my least favourite console. After all, it's not portable, it has a grand total of zero platformers on it, it has very little in the way of retro gaming available for it, and it's online community is as welcoming as a cage full of howler monkeys when you've got a splitting headache. Naturally however, as I'm the unparalleled genius that went for the Sega Saturn rather than the PSOne, I will obviously have chosen the perfect console for me. Therefore, the first current gen console I got my fingers on was the Xbox 360, and what a beauty it is. Entirely pointless for a retro platformer fan, almost no JRPGs, second-rate hack-n-slash action, and an online service I'll never use... but a great console I'm sure *sigh*

Now, in all honesty, I didn't pick the Xbox 360, I was given it, but at the time I considered it the best console of the time and it would have been the one I'd have bought if I ever had money. Me being the poor little rag-tag guy I am who cannot afford a pot to piss in half the time, naturally I make do with what I have and the Xbox 360 was something I was extremely happy to have. After all, back in the day, the Wii was for casual gaming morons who can't figure out an RPG or FPS to save their lives and the PS3 had all of 4 games, and they where either Gran Turismo or a damn football game (that's soccer to you Americans out there, who unlike the rest of the world never seem to grasp that the name football fit's our sport, the one in which you kick a ball with your foot, better than your sport, where you carry a leather lemon in your arms while wearing padded armour, but I'll be nice). So I took pleasure in what I had, but it soon became sour for me seeing Mario on the Wii and Ratchet & Clank on the PS3... still there are many reasons to own an Xbox 360, and despite it's major lack in platformers, jrpgs and hack-n-slash, it's a console I'd never turn away from. Here's my top 10 reasons for owning an Xbox 360.

You must login or register to view this content.

10. Perfect Dark Zero.

There are people out there who remember Rare's fantastic shooter for the N64, Perfect Dark. Well, it's sequel is here on the 360 and while it may not be the best FPS in the world it has a really good style to it and it's a fun game that you can approach in a way you simply don't get from games like the Call of Duty or Medal of Honor series. It's different, and that's why it's up here. You can play CoD or MoH on any console, or even your PC. Naturally, Perfect Dark Zero is an Xbox 360 exclusive as well as any other games I mention in this article.

9. Fable 2

Yep. It's a bit camp and a bit daft at times, but the game is really fun. The storyline is a bit predictable, the game itself is rather easy, and the whole experience is quite short, but I guarantee while it lasts you'll have fun and that's something that I think people forget about games nowadays. They're supposed to be fun, and with Stephen Fry doing one of the voices you get a real sense of fun about this game, after all, what can be wrong with that voice in it?

8. GTA IV

Wait... GTA IV isn't an Xbox 360 exclusive, and you're dead right, it's not. But the GTA series plays HORRIBLY on the PC. I knew only one friend who played it on the PC and while he swore by it everyone else I knew, myself included hated the controls. So yeah, GTA IV just should be played on a console. But why the Xbox 360. Well that's simple. There are two things the Xbox 360 will give you on this game no other console will. First is a decent online community for playing the multiplayer, for a given value of decent I suppose, but that's not a big issue, the second however is the downloadable content, which is exclusive to the Xbox 360. A very well made 6-8 hours of additional gameplay, and very satisfying too. I would even go as far as to claim it's some of the best paced stuff done in the GTA world. Certainly a reason to pick the 360 over the PS3 if you're a GTA fan.

7. Ninja Gaiden

Sure you can get Ninja Gaiden Sigma for the PS3 if you want, but both the original for Xbox and the sequel for the Xbox 360 are amazing games and the Sigma versions are in my opinion butchered ports. Lowering the difficulty and removing the gore from Ninja Gaiden is like taking the rings and the speed out of Sonic, it would be a travesty, and this is why the only way to play either Ninja Gaiden or Ninja Gaiden 2 is with the Xbox 360 (or original Xbox for the first game). Especially as the PS3 versions have slowdown issues in my experience. That said these games are not for the faint hearted, they're HARD! Like old school snapping-your-NES-controller hard.

6. The Xbox Live Arcade

Not all the reasons are games here... just most of them. Well, what do you expect, it is a games console. But anyway, the Xbox Live Arcade is a fantastic addition to the console and while some of the titles on there are enjoyable it's games like Limbo, N+ and the thoroughly addictive Geometry Wars that make it shine. Sure you can get some of those games on other platforms such as the PC or Nintendo DS, but they never feel quite as good, especially Geometry Wars which just works with duel analogue sticks. The Xbox Live Arcade therefore is an incredible add on to a console and a very good reason to own it.

5. Sonic Adventure/Crazy Taxi

Yes, that's right, for the Dreamcast. So far Sonic Adventure and Crazy Taxi are already available on the Xbox 360 as downloadable games (which by the way, means no loading times), and it's only a matter of time before more of the Dreamcasts fantastic library make it to the Xbox 360. Now sure, it's true the PS3 has the same offer, however playing Dreamcast games with the 360 controller feels so natural, but on the PS3 it feels rather stiff, perhaps this is just me though. This makes me want to hug the 360. The Dreamcast is my lost love, the only console I feel I truly miss... it died so young and had so much potential, but now, maybe games from it's past like Shenmue, Jet Grind Radio, and its long list of wonderful 2D fighting games and shmups can be reborn and enjoyed again on my new console. Long live SEGA. Remember, Xbox already has Shenmue 2 so it could happen.

They make a beautiful pair don't they...

4. Halo Reach

This is something I hate to admit, because I consider the Halo games by and large mediocre at best but Halo Reach is actually really good. In all honesty, this one doesn't need explaining, Halo is the game that single-handedly made the Xbox competitive with the PS2 and the Halo franchise is already more popular than God, so you already know if you like it. Halo Reach however is rare in that, if like me you're not a fan of the series or if you've never tried the series before, you can play this game without needing all the back story and enjoy it for what it is which is a competent and very well made shooter. Sure it's not the greatest game ever made, but I can say that much to my surprise, I would probably rate it in the top 10 FPS games of all tine... but that list is for another time I think (self-plug of future articles, check). The thing that clinched this for me though is the space combat section, which is fantastic, really. It broke up the standard gameplay at just the right time and make the entire series feel fresh and different again. It's just a pity that Halo Reach is so damn short really, if it was twice the length it actually is, it'd be almost worth getting a 360 for on it's own.

3. Lost Odyssey

Well, what can I say really. It's a Final Fantasy game in all but name, however where Final Fantasy 11 was a rather poor MMO (who the hell thought that was a good idea), and Final Fantasy 12 was crippled by an inverted camera that you can't change, despite it having real time combat, and Final Fantasy 13 was so linear it makes a line look circular.... what was I saying. Oh yeah, recent Final Fantasy games suck donkey shit, Lost Odyssey however is what happens when you get the people who wrote some of the earlier Final Fantasy games together and let them get on with it. I consider it my Final Fantasy 11, and it deserves praise. Sure the combat is still turn based and it's not overly innovative, but it's quite nicely balanced and honestly, I like turn based combat in my JRPGs. Why change what it's broken? The games major selling point for me though is the characters and stories. If you're the type to skip cut-scenes and ignore written additional content do not do that in this game. If you can't stop yourself, your attention span is too poor for this game, but then, it's probably too poor for this article so it doesn't matter. In Lost Odyssey the text based short stories give the characters such life and on numerous occasions the stories actually brought me to tears they're that well written. This is a game you play when you want to immerse yourself, if you can't do that, don't play it, play something with more action. To play this game without reading the short stories and character backgrounds is an insult to such great writing.

2. Gears Of War

This is that "something with more action" you play when you can't be arsed reading along with Lost Odyssey's storyline. Both the original and it's sequel are amazing shooters and spawned the cover based combat so many games use nowadays. This is my preferred game when it comes to shooters, rather than the traditional FPS game. The games use of cover would have felt obstructive in a true first person view and as such I consider this a really well designed and heart-pounding experience and a step forward from the FPS. Honestly though, If you want action, you need an Xbox 360, Perfect Dark Zero, Ninja Gaiden 2, Halo Reach and now Gears Of War 1 & 2. It's an action fans console, and don't forget, I'm discounting great games like Half-Life 2, Dante's Inferno, Modern Warfare 2, Resident Evil 4, Prototype etc. because they're multi-platform and this is a “reasons to own an Xbox 360” not “reasons to own a console” list, but the multi-platform games add a lot more action as well... so for the definitive action/FPS console, you want an Xbox 360.

1. Mass Effect

Yes. Mass Effect alone is in my opinion a reason to own an Xbox 360. Sure, you could play it on a PC, and many people do I'm sure, but after trying both the game simply doesn't feel right on PC and it doesn't even have controller support on the PC version. Now with Mass Effect 2 this is even more of a must have. The big joke however is that while Mass Effect 2 is also coming to PS3, the original is still a 360 exclusive and considering your actions in the first game directly effect what you can do in the second, PS3 owners are shit out of luck. As you can imagine, to play the sequel without porting over your save from the first and knowing the original games storyline is like playing half a game.

The Mass Effect universe is so rich and vibrant, it's the only sci-fi setting I feel is honestly more engrossed in than the Star Wars universe, and that's saying something. In fact, in some geek circles, what I've just said its not only blasphemy but it carries the death sentence so... yeah. The Mass Effect series is quite possibly one of, if not the, greatest game series of all time... so when it comes down to it, although action games is the way of the Xbox 360, it's RPG line-up whilst incredibly small includes such amazing titles as Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect and the backwards compatible Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic 1 and 2 games which are exclusives for the original Xbox. That's without taking into account multi-platform games... RPG's may be a smaller genre for the Xbox 360, but it's a genre of solid gold, and any RPG fan should own this console for quite frankly three of the greatest RPG series ever made.

So there we have it. If you like action, particularly First Person Shooters and want to play the very cream of the crop when it comes to RPG's the Xbox 360 is the console for you.

So, I've done a list for the Wii and the Xbox 360... which console should I do a list for next. The Sega Saturn perhaps, maybe the Colecovision... Nah, I should keep it modern and relevent, the Vectrex next I think.

The following 4 users say thank you to TornadoCreator for this useful post:

Chill, CRACKbomber, I Go Nom, Mr.Oppossum

The following 9 users groaned at TornadoCreator for this awful post:

:12:, Assassin, dkfallen, FlyingIrishMan, JakeM, MarioDaKid, User23434, Post Count, redraiderark
06-09-2011, 01:24 AM #29
JakeM
ZOMG HaXz!
Originally posted by TornadoCreator View Post
I don't play Call Of Duty and couldn't give a shit about it's DLC to be perfectly honest. Especially on the Xbox 360 where playing Call Of Duty means using Xbox Live with all the racists, homophobes and sex obsessed 12 year old kids. No thanks.

I shouldn't have said COD DLC because there is more than just Call of Duty that has DLC...

Some solutions to your problems with other players are: try muting or try playing with friends? I know its hard to come out of your shell in your mom's basement but the "outside world" has lots of different types of people. Ones you may find more intriguing, interesting, more attractive, etc. then those people on forums and Xbox Live. Amazing huh?

That's not much of an incentive considering who's on the other end... see my response to point 1.

Actually it is since both Wii and PS3 don't have party chat, I would consider it to be a incentive feat. Also the fact that Sony gets hundreds of requests daily to bring Party Chat to the PS3 I would say a lot of people use it and want it. When you have friends that you want to talk too, you can play other games and still talk. :O

You can do it better with Ventrilo, TeamSpeak, Skype and/or Steam on PC. But honestly, how often are you talking to someone while gaming, when playing different games? For me, it's very rare and if I was going to do it, I'd use Skype because then I can use a boom mic and speakers rather than a headset because headphones make my ears weep (it's an irritation reaction from the plastic/nylon).

This goes back to the whole go outside thing, if you have friends, then its a lot of fun to talk to and make fun of the dumb things, makes jokes etc. We are talking about Xbox and you want me and millions of other gamers to have to wear two headsets? One for Skype and one for Xbox? That makes sense. :y: Sorry your are the one in a million people that headphones make their ears "weep". But other people do things for simplicity, being able to talk to friends and play my game while wearing my surround sound headset makes the experience a lot better.

You can do that on PS3 as well... and PC (it's called installing). Or you can just download the whole thing on Steam. I don't see this as a major selling point specifically for the Xbox 360.

Wrong, unless you have some fairy dust magic wand there is no option to install your games on PS3 without jail-breaking. PC ok but we are not talking about that... This is all about console. Lets say you buy a game and back it up not only will it load faster but in-case you travel (again back to the whole outside thing) and you scratch up your disc you can still play the game just fine. No other console has that feature you would be required to rebuy a 60 dollar game.

Does your PC not have speakers? What is the point in doing that. I'm sorry, but if I want to listen to music while gaming I switch on the CD player. Why would I want to stress out the Xbox 360, a console well known for overheating, by making it multitask? That seems stupid.

Not everyone likes shitty computer speakers. -.- Some people have surround sounds for their home-theater or even gaming headsets. Why would I want to listen to my PC speakers when I could listen to my 7.1 surround sound or through my surround sound headset? Where I can hear the game and the surroundings. :O So you saying I shouldn't try to play music and game at the same time, because it may cause the console to overheat. :dunce: Thats like buying a car and not going over 30MPH because you don't want to wear the engine down as quickly. The console is made to do both, it over heats because of improper ventilation. I have owned like 6 xboxs and not one has ever got RROD. We never sat them in a corner covered under a blanket though, so I guess those are biased results. :\

Steam is better again... but yes Xbox Live does have some gems, which is why it's reason number 6 on my list.

I was referring to the consoles PC technically isn't a console but rather a computer. :derp: Of the consoles the Xbox has the best store. :y:

Like the ones I mentioned such as Lost Odyssey and Gears Of War.

Bravo! :y: Gold Star for you. You caught on to what I am saying. Your list is nothing but a sub section of a list. All it is, is games when there is more to a console then just the exclusives.

Well why don't you then. Rather than complaining when someone else writes a post why don't you write something yourself. People are oh so quick to say this list isn't any good well you know what. What where you expecting, it's a top ten list for the Xbox 360, the only thing it does THAT NOTHING ELSE CAN DO AS WELL (this is an important distinction), is play Xbox 360 games... so here's a new list for you.

I already did, did you forgot you read my post or what? :dunce: That list only took me 20 minutes. From someone who writes as proper and as much as you, I would expect a lot more. Sorry but every single comment is saying this list is invalid and mis-titled. Take a hint? Like you even said in capitols the things it does that nothing else can do is what the list should be about. All my points are things other consoles can't do, and should be thought about before purchasing a 360.

-------------------------------

Top reason to own an Xbox 360

1. It plays Xbox 360 games.

-------------------------------

Something tells me that's a lot less fun to read though. It doesn't introduce anyone to new games and it doesn't spur discussion. If you disagree fine, but at the very least explain why because I always thought the games where the most important part of a console, people here would realise that more if they played something other than Call of bloody Duty occationally.

I believe it would be "were" not "where" but, I am no grammar expert. I think you just rewrote your list there, then criticized it like we are saying. :confused: I thought I explained pretty clearly that this is a list of top 10 games not of top 10 reasons to purchase a Xbox. Call of Duty is the #1 selling game right now what else do you expect? A lot of people like that game, some are addicted fan-boys. You are on a forum based 90% around PS3 and Call of Duty gaming. Those are the two most viewed sections.

Are you actually trying to be that stupid or did it take special training? We're in the Xbox forum... you can tell by looking up, just underneith the NGU logo and above the "+ Reply to Thread" button. It says there...

Forum -> XBOX 360 -> XBOX 360 General

Now please stop drinking the shampoo, you're only hurting yourself.

Anyway, hopefully, one or two people enjoyed the article. Apparently I've upset some people by daring to suggest playing games on their games consoles, but then, that's what kids are like nowadays... still, I'll post the top 10 for PS3 in a bit, I wonder how much retarded hatred I get for that one. Here's a spoiler for you, some of the reasons for owning the Sony Playstation 3 are going to be Sony Playstation 3 games. I know, it's a big shocker. Here's another shocker for you, the top reason for owning a toaster is that it toasts various bread products.

**underneath :derp: No, but it looks like you hurt your self trying to offend someone on a internet forum. I don't know why you come back at me with a attitude, is it your time of the month? You have a bad day? I don't know but your so cocky for some guy who runs a forum with 24 members. :lol: All I did was say this is a invalid list. I guess everyone on the forum got the wrong first impression off of you. It seems ever since you got your 4K E-Dick you have been a douche to anyone that try's to tell you anything or even help you out.

The following user thanked JakeM for this useful post:

06-09-2011, 01:40 AM #30
gmrgrl4life
Live, Laugh, Game!!
Console War much? I could care less of what system as long as Im happy and can play a freakin game! Im happy with my XBOX and may not go back to PSN. I didnt have any problems with my PS or PS2, but ever since I got my XBOX Im in love <3
06-09-2011, 05:49 AM #31
Mr.Oppossum
I defeated!
As some of you may be aware, I wrote an article called 'You must login or register to view this content.' a couple of weeks ago. Well I also did a top 10 for the Xbox 360 and it's only fair to give that console it's limelight now. I hope you enjoy this list, if you agree, disagree, have your own top reasons... go ahead and post, this is a discussion forum after all.

Anyone who knows me and my preferred genres of gaming would be forgiven to think that the Xbox 360 is my least favourite console. After all, it's not portable, it has a grand total of zero platformers on it, it has very little in the way of retro gaming available for it, and it's online community is as welcoming as a cage full of howler monkeys when you've got a splitting headache. Naturally however, as I'm the unparalleled genius that went for the Sega Saturn rather than the PSOne, I will obviously have chosen the perfect console for me. Therefore, the first current gen console I got my fingers on was the Xbox 360, and what a beauty it is. Entirely pointless for a retro platformer fan, almost no JRPGs, second-rate hack-n-slash action, and an online service I'll never use... but a great console I'm sure *sigh*

Now, in all honesty, I didn't pick the Xbox 360, I was given it, but at the time I considered it the best console of the time and it would have been the one I'd have bought if I ever had money. Me being the poor little rag-tag guy I am who cannot afford a pot to piss in half the time, naturally I make do with what I have and the Xbox 360 was something I was extremely happy to have. After all, back in the day, the Wii was for casual gaming morons who can't figure out an RPG or FPS to save their lives and the PS3 had all of 4 games, and they where either Gran Turismo or a damn football game (that's soccer to you Americans out there, who unlike the rest of the world never seem to grasp that the name football fit's our sport, the one in which you kick a ball with your foot, better than your sport, where you carry a leather lemon in your arms while wearing padded armour, but I'll be nice). So I took pleasure in what I had, but it soon became sour for me seeing Mario on the Wii and Ratchet & Clank on the PS3... still there are many reasons to own an Xbox 360, and despite it's major lack in platformers, jrpgs and hack-n-slash, it's a console I'd never turn away from. Here's my top 10 reasons for owning an Xbox 360.

10. Perfect Dark Zero.

There are people out there who remember Rare's fantastic shooter for the N64, Perfect Dark. Well, it's sequel is here on the 360 and while it may not be the best FPS in the world it has a really good style to it and it's a fun game that you can approach in a way you simply don't get from games like the Call of Duty or Medal of Honor series. It's different, and that's why it's up here. You can play CoD or MoH on any console, or even your PC. Naturally, Perfect Dark Zero is an Xbox 360 exclusive as well as any other games I mention in this article.

9. Fable 2

Yep. It's a bit camp and a bit daft at times, but the game is really fun. The storyline is a bit predictable, the game itself is rather easy, and the whole experience is quite short, but I guarantee while it lasts you'll have fun and that's something that I think people forget about games nowadays. They're supposed to be fun, and with Stephen Fry doing one of the voices you get a real sense of fun about this game, after all, what can be wrong with that voice in it?

8. GTA IV

Wait... GTA IV isn't an Xbox 360 exclusive, and you're dead right, it's not. But the GTA series plays HORRIBLY on the PC. I knew only one friend who played it on the PC and while he swore by it everyone else I knew, myself included hated the controls. So yeah, GTA IV just should be played on a console. But why the Xbox 360. Well that's simple. There are two things the Xbox 360 will give you on this game no other console will. First is a decent online community for playing the multiplayer, for a given value of decent I suppose, but that's not a big issue, the second however is the downloadable content, which is exclusive to the Xbox 360. A very well made 6-8 hours of additional gameplay, and very satisfying too. I would even go as far as to claim it's some of the best paced stuff done in the GTA world. Certainly a reason to pick the 360 over the PS3 if you're a GTA fan.

7. Ninja Gaiden

Sure you can get Ninja Gaiden Sigma for the PS3 if you want, but both the original for Xbox and the sequel for the Xbox 360 are amazing games and the Sigma versions are in my opinion butchered ports. Lowering the difficulty and removing the gore from Ninja Gaiden is like taking the rings and the speed out of Sonic, it would be a travesty, and this is why the only way to play either Ninja Gaiden or Ninja Gaiden 2 is with the Xbox 360 (or original Xbox for the first game). Especially as the PS3 versions have slowdown issues in my experience. That said these games are not for the faint hearted, they're HARD! Like old school snapping-your-NES-controller hard.

6. The Xbox Live Arcade

Not all the reasons are games here... just most of them. Well, what do you expect, it is a games console. But anyway, the Xbox Live Arcade is a fantastic addition to the console and while some of the titles on there are enjoyable it's games like Limbo, N+ and the thoroughly addictive Geometry Wars that make it shine. Sure you can get some of those games on other platforms such as the PC or Nintendo DS, but they never feel quite as good, especially Geometry Wars which just works with duel analogue sticks. The Xbox Live Arcade therefore is an incredible add on to a console and a very good reason to own it.

Yes, that's right, for the Dreamcast. So far Sonic Adventure and Crazy Taxi are already available on the Xbox 360 as downloadable games (which by the way, means no loading times), and it's only a matter of time before more of the Dreamcasts fantastic library make it to the Xbox 360. Now sure, it's true the PS3 has the same offer, however playing Dreamcast games with the 360 controller feels so natural, but on the PS3 it feels rather stiff, perhaps this is just me though. This makes me want to hug the 360. The Dreamcast is my lost love, the only console I feel I truly miss... it died so young and had so much potential, but now, maybe games from it's past like Shenmue, Jet Grind Radio, and its long list of wonderful 2D fighting games and shmups can be reborn and enjoyed again on my new console. Long live SEGA. Remember, Xbox already has Shenmue 2 so it could happen.

4. Halo Reach

This is something I hate to admit, because I consider the Halo games by and large mediocre at best but Halo Reach is actually really good. In all honesty, this one doesn't need explaining, Halo is the game that single-handedly made the Xbox competitive with the PS2 and the Halo franchise is already more popular than God, so you already know if you like it. Halo Reach however is rare in that, if like me you're not a fan of the series or if you've never tried the series before, you can play this game without needing all the back story and enjoy it for what it is which is a competent and very well made shooter. Sure it's not the greatest game ever made, but I can say that much to my surprise, I would probably rate it in the top 10 FPS games of all tine... but that list is for another time I think (self-plug of future articles, check). The thing that clinched this for me though is the space combat section, which is fantastic, really. It broke up the standard gameplay at just the right time and make the entire series feel fresh and different again. It's just a pity that Halo Reach is so damn short really, if it was twice the length it actually is, it'd be almost worth getting a 360 for on it's own.

3. Lost Odyssey

Well, what can I say really. It's a Final Fantasy game in all but name, however where Final Fantasy 11 was a rather poor MMO (who the hell thought that was a good idea), and Final Fantasy 12 was crippled by an inverted camera that you can't change, despite it having real time combat, and Final Fantasy 13 was so linear it makes a line look circular.... what was I saying. Oh yeah, recent Final Fantasy games suck donkey shit, Lost Odyssey however is what happens when you get the people who wrote some of the earlier Final Fantasy games together and let them get on with it. I consider it my Final Fantasy 11, and it deserves praise. Sure the combat is still turn based and it's not overly innovative, but it's quite nicely balanced and honestly, I like turn based combat in my JRPGs. Why change what it's broken? The games major selling point for me though is the characters and stories. If you're the type to skip cut-scenes and ignore written additional content do not do that in this game. If you can't stop yourself, your attention span is too poor for this game, but then, it's probably too poor for this article so it doesn't matter. In Lost Odyssey the text based short stories give the characters such life and on numerous occasions the stories actually brought me to tears they're that well written. This is a game you play when you want to immerse yourself, if you can't do that, don't play it, play something with more action. To play this game without reading the short stories and character backgrounds is an insult to such great writing.

2. Gears Of War

This is that "something with more action" you play when you can't be arsed reading along with Lost Odyssey's storyline. Both the original and it's sequel are amazing shooters and spawned the cover based combat so many games use nowadays. This is my preferred game when it comes to shooters, rather than the traditional FPS game. The games use of cover would have felt obstructive in a true first person view and as such I consider this a really well designed and heart-pounding experience and a step forward from the FPS. Honestly though, If you want action, you need an Xbox 360, Perfect Dark Zero, Ninja Gaiden 2, Halo Reach and now Gears Of War 1 & 2. It's an action fans console, and don't forget, I'm discounting great games like Half-Life 2, Dante's Inferno, Modern Warfare 2, Resident Evil 4, Prototype etc. because they're multi-platform and this is a “reasons to own an Xbox 360” not “reasons to own a console” list, but the multi-platform games add a lot more action as well... so for the definitive action/FPS console, you want an Xbox 360.

1. Mass Effect

Yes. Mass Effect alone is in my opinion a reason to own an Xbox 360. Sure, you could play it on a PC, and many people do I'm sure, but after trying both the game simply doesn't feel right on PC and it doesn't even have controller support on the PC version. Now with Mass Effect 2 this is even more of a must have. The big joke however is that while Mass Effect 2 is also coming to PS3, the original is still a 360 exclusive and considering your actions in the first game directly effect what you can do in the second, PS3 owners are shit out of luck. As you can imagine, to play the sequel without porting over your save from the first and knowing the original games storyline is like playing half a game.

The Mass Effect universe is so rich and vibrant, it's the only sci-fi setting I feel is honestly more engrossed in than the Star Wars universe, and that's saying something. In fact, in some geek circles, what I've just said its not only blasphemy but it carries the death sentence so... yeah. The Mass Effect series is quite possibly one of, if not the, greatest game series of all time... so when it comes down to it, although action games is the way of the Xbox 360, it's RPG line-up whilst incredibly small includes such amazing titles as Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect and the backwards compatible Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic 1 and 2 games which are exclusives for the original Xbox. That's without taking into account multi-platform games... RPG's may be a smaller genre for the Xbox 360, but it's a genre of solid gold, and any RPG fan should own this console for quite frankly three of the greatest RPG series ever made.

So there we have it. If you like action, particularly First Person Shooters and want to play the very cream of the crop when it comes to RPG's the Xbox 360 is the console for you.

So, I've done a list for the Wii and the Xbox 360... which console should I do a list for next. The Sega Saturn perhaps, maybe the Colecovision... Nah, I should keep it modern and relevent, the Vectrex next I think.

good list,im glad you put Mass Effect at #1 cause that is my favorite game ever
Last edited by Mr.Oppossum ; 06-09-2011 at 06:02 AM.
06-09-2011, 06:01 AM #32
Mr.Oppossum
I defeated!
As some of you may be aware, I wrote an article called 'You must login or register to view this content.' a couple of weeks ago. Well I also did a top 10 for the Xbox 360 and it's only fair to give that console it's limelight now. I hope you enjoy this list, if you agree, disagree, have your own top reasons... go ahead and post, this is a discussion forum after all.

10. Perfect Dark Zero.

9. Fable 2

8. GTA IV

7. Ninja Gaiden

6. The Xbox Live Arcade

4. Halo Reach

3. Lost Odyssey

2. Gears Of War

1. Mass Effect

cool thread,im glad you put Mass Effect 1 at #1,that is my favorite game of all time,you should have mentioned Elder scrolls 4 oblivion,it was exclusive to xbox for a year i think and it is my second favorite game ever Smile

---------- Post added at 01:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 AM ----------

cool thread,i love mass effect,you should have mentioned The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion,i love that game,it was exclusive for awhile but then it got. ported to PS3

---------- Post added at 02:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 AM ----------

WTF it said error and it didn't post /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ then its here :(
06-09-2011, 03:50 PM #33
PS3 can receive videos, pictures, and music wirelessly from a PC and STORE it on the hardrive so it will stay there forever and not just while its connected to the PC.
06-09-2011, 04:18 PM #34
-Smurf-
Are you high?
do you own both consoles? you can't jugde until you've owned both of them for a certain amount of time. this is extremely biased, i have owned both and loads of this is crap. gta 4 does not have xbox exclusives anymore, the marketplace is a tiny bit better but psn is seriously improving, and all the exclusives like perfect dark zero? halo and fable, they're not exactly amazing. but yeah
06-09-2011, 04:23 PM #35
gmrgrl4life
Live, Laugh, Game!!
I dont own both PS3 and XBOX, but dont fix whats not broken right? I loved my PS and PS2, but what got me into XBOX for the first time was Halo (offline). Im not a huge fan of Halo but the 1st one was amazing! My dad and brother inlaw has a PS3 so if I need to play with you guys I will just play on theirs.
06-10-2011, 06:15 AM #36
GrandTheftAuto
PS4 > Wii U > Xbox One
Is it just me or does everyone on Xbox have a tryhard Gamertag?

The following user thanked GrandTheftAuto for this useful post:

ARVINLOCOx
06-10-2011, 03:46 PM #37
TornadoCreator
A Storm Approaches.
Originally posted by Smurf
do you own both consoles? you can't jugde until you've owned both of them for a certain amount of time. this is extremely biased, i have owned both and loads of this is crap. gta 4 does not have xbox exclusives anymore, the marketplace is a tiny bit better but psn is seriously improving, and all the exclusives like perfect dark zero? halo and fable, they're not exactly amazing. but yeah

At the moment I own neither. My Xbox 360 red-ringed so it's effectively a large paper-weight. I've never actually owned a PS3 but I do plan to get one soon. I also don't own a Wii either. In fact I don't own a single current gen console that works. But you know what, I don't need to have the console to know what's good from them. I've many friends and family members who own these consoles. I have pretty much 24 hour access to a Wii or 360 as they're in the house, and my old room-mate has a PS3 so there's plenty of chances to try out all the new games etc.

Honestly though, you don't need to be a genius to work out that Halo: Reach is a good reason to buy an Xbox 360 because it doesn't work if you put it in other consoles.

What people need to get out of their heads is this idea of competition. One person said something about a "console war". Grow up, this isn't the 90's. This list is not "Top 10 Reasons Why Xbox 360 Is Better Than PS3" it's "Top 10 Reasons To Own An Xbox 360". I don't need a PS3 or to have even touched one, to be able to make such a list.

PS: According to all the information I had GTA 4 had two DLC expansions that are exclusive to Xbox 360, turns out they added them to the PS3 a little over a year later, so yes, that reason pretty much doesn't count anymore. But then I don't tend to look through the PSN and when I originally downloaded them on the Xbox 360 they specifically advertised themselves as "Xbox Exclusive" so I assumed they still where.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo