Post: Xbox One specs are boosted by "the equivalent of three Xbox Ones" in the cloud
05-24-2013, 04:41 PM #1
xLew--
Former Staff
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); [h=2]"There's roughly three times the resources available" to devs[/h]
We've been trying to work out what Xbox One's dramatic, potentially brilliant use of cloud processing resources to bolster its own specs actually amounts to. Once developers get to grips with it, you can expect interesting particulars. In the meantime, how about another hair-raising pie-in-the-sky statement of intent?

According to Jeff Henshaw, group program manager of Xbox Incubation & Prototyping, the cloud's muscle means that your Xbox One isn't, effectively, an Xbox One, but an Xbox Three. See what I did there, etc.

"We're provisioning for developers for every physical Xbox One we build, we're provisioning the CPU and storage equivalent of three Xbox Ones on the cloud," he said. "We're doing that flat out so that any game developer can assume that there's roughly three times the resources immediately available to their game, so they can build bigger, persistent levels that are more inclusive for players. They can do that out of the gate."

You must login or register to view this content.

For more on the Xbox One's technical capacities, read our massive You must login or register to view this content.. According to Xbox Live corporate VP Marc Whitten, the manufacturer actually dialled back development of Xbox 360's successor till it was confident that it could deliver a genuine technological leap.

"Frankly a lot of people have said 'hey, stuff looks pretty cool on Xbox 360 - do we need more power?" he told OXM.

"Is my TV going to be powerful enough?' And in fact, until we found that we'd got to a place where the stories could be different, the experience could be different, we didn't want to ship a next generation console.

"We've been using the Xbox 360 to continue to revive the experience, to go deeper. But it is clear that with power the types of stories you can do are fundamentally different."

Here's a You must login or register to view this content.. How do you think developers will make use of all that server magic?
Update - Here's a variation on the theme from Xbox Australia spokesman Adam Pollington, via You must login or register to view this content..

"It's also been stated that the Xbox One is ten times more powerful than the Xbox 360, so we're effectively 40 times greater than the Xbox 360 in terms of processing capabilities [using the cloud]. If you look to the cloud as something that is no doubt going to evolve and grow over time, it really spells out that there's no limit to where the processing power of Xbox One can go.

"I think that's a very exciting proposition, not only for Australians, but anyone else who's going to pick up the Xbox One console."

----

This cloud, i assume only will be able over the internet, so what happens for the offline players and players who cannot play online, will their graphics suffer?

personally i think it should be fine but what happens if the user starts using different features at once like watching a film or tv while gaming, will the framerate drop?

Thoughts?
05-24-2013, 06:08 PM #2
-Skyline
Anonymous
Is the cloud going to be used to reduce hardware strain on the Xbox One so it reduces the chance of getting RRoD? (or equivalent)
05-24-2013, 11:07 PM #3
socia
Gym leader
so what happens if some major event happens and the net goes black for an undisclosed time?
05-25-2013, 01:47 AM #4
-Skyline
Anonymous
Originally posted by socia View Post
so what happens if some major event happens and the net goes black for an undisclosed time?

They won't care... Micro$oft expect you to have a perfect connection all the time :blank:
05-25-2013, 02:48 AM #5
socia
Gym leader
skynet goes active holiday 2013.
05-25-2013, 09:07 AM #6
I donnu what to think, for ppl that is online it will be good. But will the devs really use it, and how much money are M$ really going to spend to make this happend?
05-27-2013, 11:31 PM #7
FRIM45
Keeper
games could potentially look alot better with this feature, you never know though. Speculation tends to leave me disappointed, like that 360 madden video from 2005.
05-28-2013, 12:53 AM #8
Jonathan Blow Calls Microsoft's Bluff On Servers and Cloud Processing

You might remember during the Xbox One reveal when Microsoft shared how Xbox Live will have 300,000 servers later this year. Although it was meant to stun consumers and investors, not everyone followed the bait.
Braid and The Witness Game Designer Jonathan Blow called Microsoft out after hearing the large figure shared on-stage, immediately identifying it as a product of virtualization. He said on Twitter:

Originally posted by another user
I can spin up 10000 virtual servers per host. They would just all suck. Saying 300k when they are virtual is a lie.

He hasn't stopped there, either. Microsoft's claim that Xbox One's cloud processing will improve lighting and physics for games on the console has similarly been attacked by Jonathan. He Tweeted:

Originally posted by another user
More cloud processing BS: You must login or register to view this content. … Someone please call their bluff on this.

Jonathan Blow's first release, Braid, was originally an Xbox Live exclusive. However, after experiencing what many have described as poor policies he has deferred to Sony's hardware where he is currently working on the PS4 console exclusive The Witness. His comments—yes, there are plenty more—are gaining a lot of attention due to his notoriety as an exceptional indie developer, and has consequently become a nightmare for Microsoft. The lesson here folks is that you shouldn't treat indie developers like they aren't important.

Last edited by Cyberix ; 05-28-2013 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Added link from tweet that was removed and added picture.
05-28-2013, 08:50 AM #9
xLew--
Former Staff
Originally posted by Cyberix View Post
Jonathan Blow Calls Microsoft's Bluff On Servers and Cloud Processing

You might remember during the Xbox One reveal when Microsoft shared how Xbox Live will have 300,000 servers later this year. Although it was meant to stun consumers and investors, not everyone followed the bait.
Braid and The Witness Game Designer Jonathan Blow called Microsoft out after hearing the large figure shared on-stage, immediately identifying it as a product of virtualization. He said on Twitter:

He hasn't stopped there, either. Microsoft's claim that Xbox One's cloud processing will improve lighting and physics for games on the console has similarly been attacked by Jonathan. He Tweeted:

Jonathan Blow's first release, Braid, was originally an Xbox Live exclusive. However, after experiencing what many have described as poor policies he has deferred to Sony's hardware where he is currently working on the PS4 console exclusive The Witness. His comments—yes, there are plenty more—are gaining a lot of attention due to his notoriety as an exceptional indie developer, and has consequently become a nightmare for Microsoft. The lesson here folks is that you shouldn't treat indie developers like they aren't important.

thats worth making a thread on, i didnt because all i seem to post in this section is negative stuff atm, just makes me look like a big fanboy lol

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo