Post: Microsoft Will Challenge Government Requests to Spy Through Kinect
07-18-2013, 02:04 PM #1
Budz
Former Staff
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});
You must login or register to view this content.

Microsoft has revealed that it will try to oppose the NSA or any government spying programs to see their customers via Kinect. The Xbox One requires the Kinect to be plugged in the Xbox One in order for it to work. Microsoft has said that they don't want to use the Kinect as a way of snooping around on peoples lives.

This is what a Microsoft employee said:
“Absent a new law, we don’t believe the government has the legal authority to compel us or any other company that makes products with cameras and microphones to start collecting voice and video data, and we’d aggressively challenge in court any attempts to try and force us to do so.”

Earlier this year, it was revealed that Microsoft allowed the NSA to spy on Skype calls and Video calls through their console which angered many users. Let's hope they block the government from spying on users of the Xbox One.

You must login or register to view this content.
07-18-2013, 03:44 PM #2
If they spy'ed on me if I bought a Xbox One (which will be never because they are shit) I'd grow weed in front of the camera, smoke weed in front of it and sell weed in front of it, and see if they raid my house hahaha
07-18-2013, 11:21 PM #3
punkybear2102
Level 2 trustworthy
Has nobody seriously thought of just taping a piece of paper over the lens?
Last edited by punkybear2102 ; 07-19-2013 at 04:13 PM.
07-19-2013, 10:42 AM #4
Harry
Former Staff
It seriously wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft did spy on some people as 'tests to see how people use the Kinect'

I believe they did say something about the occasional 'sample' to see how people use it.
07-19-2013, 12:44 PM #5
Joel
[move]Sal:madsal::laim:[/move]
if a naked girl just walks in there... while the camera is on...
07-19-2013, 02:04 PM #6
Mezzid
< ^ > < ^ >
Like they said it's impossible for anyone to trace skype calls (turns out they fucking do), I don't trust them.
07-19-2013, 03:56 PM #7
ResistTheSun
In Flames Much?
Given the fact they are the only company pushing to make these requests public I do trust them on this.
07-19-2013, 05:20 PM #8
AA3
Do a barrel roll!
No matter what, Xbox One will give in.

A lot intelligence agencies are going to interfere. Just like Facebook is used by CIA, MOSSAD and Mi6 to track down people, Kinect will be used in the same way.

I believe in about 1-2 years time a massive database will be produced and probably leaked.
07-20-2013, 11:56 PM #9
Stealth_Tek
At least I can fight
Originally posted by punkybear2102 View Post
Has nobody seriously thought of just taping a piece of paper over the lens?

Maybe it requires human detection in order to function, I hope not. If it doesn't then I'm taping it with 10 layers of thick tape -.-
07-23-2013, 12:39 AM #10
punkybear2102
Level 2 trustworthy
Originally posted by Tek View Post
Maybe it requires human detection in order to function, I hope not. If it doesn't then I'm taping it with 10 layers of thick tape -.-

I searched google about possibly taping it, and someones planning on buying a Boba Fett cardboard cutout and tricking it lmao, unless Micro$oft are investing in IR detection.

The following user thanked punkybear2102 for this useful post:

Stealth_Tek

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo