07-20-2013, 11:21 PM #1
ResistTheSun
In Flames Much?
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Microsoft has had a pretty rough ride when it comes to the Xbox one. Do feel it was a bit unfair some of the criticism that said the PR team needs a serious slap for messing up so badly.
From the overall show before E3 being focused on the entertainment side of things when most people watching don't care.
To the ex head of the Xbox division Don Mattrick did not help by saying 'buy a 360 it an offline device'
Also had to deal with the PR problem around the xbox one DRM policy.
DRM policy was the result of Mircosoft and other console makers own design however it did show us the future.
That said the Xbox could have been and still could be a serious change along with challenger in the console market breaking the mold.

My biggest problem with the Xbox ones DRM policy to start with is the online element.
360 already uses cloud storage so does the PS3 for game saves. Cloud processing is just something which MS was trying to sell as DRM.
That is annoying most people can work out that is a piece of DRM over something useful. Customers have been burnt by online DRM in the past even if it once every 24 hours. If the server goes offline what happens? SimCity is a great example of the online requirement to play is a bad idea.
What Microsoft should have done is dropped online requirement.
I know that it's one thing which bugged me the most I can put a reason behind a higher price point but online DRM no.

Installing a game to the HDD okay that is semi annoying but I can live with that if means faster load times and don't need to keep a ton of discs.
Things I liked was being able to download games off the cloud and gifting along with sharing.
PC gamers for some time have been moving towards a download online time disc sells for PC is at an all time low.
In many ways the Xbox one was a console which showed us what console gaming is going to become. Most PC gamers now don't use discs but are download only. Lack of trading is one downside but MS was willing to let us trade in games that a big move.

On top of this a download only future means cheaper games and faster sales to happen. Steam sale for example you see titles having discounts some get 90% off , 75% , 50% and 25% are common. 25% just after a couple of weeks and 50% by 6 months or so. Most used games don't get even close to that price point!

Legit method of sharing with your family was also a great idea for households with a couple consoles. So was being able to gift a game to a person once you completed it.
It's a great shame that Microsoft failed in presenting a vision and went over the top, we gone backwards in terms of console gaming as a result.
Download future is coming PS+ was the start of that and XBL has sights on download consoles being the normal.
We have however moved backwards which is a great shame I was looking forward to a new age of consoles.

Another problem is the kinect that should have been dropped the kinect adds a cost which most gamers don't want. Adding Kinect with a ton of NSA stories come out also made the problem worse. Microsoft tried to solve a problem they created as a result have failed to move console gaming forward. Shame because this is the company which helped push online gaming and Sony to change tack.

If Microsoft had dropped Kinect from the console, removed the online requirement I would be all over the Xbox one.
In the end it comes down to the software but it's a real shame to see Microsoft mess up so badly and missed becoming a leader.

Wanted to wait until the dust settled before making a post like this. Do you think I have a point Smile ?

The following user thanked ResistTheSun for this useful post:

Millz
07-20-2013, 11:35 PM #2
Jango
I love my kitteh
Would you please clarify what point you were trying to make? I just see facts. Maybe I missed something?
07-20-2013, 11:46 PM #3
ResistTheSun
In Flames Much?
Originally posted by Jango View Post
Would you please clarify what point you were trying to make? I just see facts. Maybe I missed something?

That's what MS was trying to change the console market for the better. Turning it from being a product into a service which in return meant cheaper games along with a better service.
Giving us the freedom PC gamers had for a very long time along with a couple major benefits which in return meant cheaper titles.
Some of the criticism towards them was also misguided , a lot of great ideas has been removed due to one or two mistakes.

Real shame we could had a competition going on when it comes do downloads on consoles.
07-21-2013, 12:00 AM #4
Jango
I love my kitteh
Originally posted by ResistTheSun View Post
That's what MS was trying to change the console market for the better. Turning it from being a product into a service which in return meant cheaper games along with a better service.
Giving us the freedom PC gamers had for a very long time along with a couple major benefits which in return meant cheaper titles.
Some of the criticism towards them was also misguided , a lot of great ideas has been removed due to one or two mistakes.

Real shame we could had a competition going on when it comes do downloads on consoles.

I do see your point, but if I wanted to have all my games through download like pc, I would get a pc. Pc may cost more, but the games are much cheaper in return. I do agree that they had a few good ideas that were removed though.
07-21-2013, 01:12 AM #5
ResistTheSun
In Flames Much?
Originally posted by Jango View Post
I do see your point, but if I wanted to have all my games through download like pc, I would get a pc. Pc may cost more, but the games are much cheaper in return. I do agree that they had a few good ideas that were removed though.

What about PSN or XBL titles from the store buy any of them :p?
Or download content off the store.
We already do it just the next step is moving towards a steam model with cheaper titles on release. Still buy the disc just if you want click download on ready day over waiting or download in a couple of weeks.
Should mean it's easier to get games on console and overall more content for us to play.

Alot of gamers miss the good points :(
07-21-2013, 01:16 AM #6
Jango
I love my kitteh
Originally posted by ResistTheSun View Post
What about PSN or XBL titles from the store buy any of them :p?
Or download content off the store.
We already do it just the next step is moving towards a steam model with cheaper titles on release. Still buy the disc just if you want click download on ready day over waiting or download in a couple of weeks.
Should mean it's easier to get games on console and overall more content for us to play.

Alot of gamers miss the good points :(

I have/do downloaded my fair share of games, but it does not mean that I want all of my games to be digital.
07-24-2013, 04:40 PM #7
Millz
Worth the Weight
Glad to see there are still a select few who truly understand what the meaning of the Xbox One was supposed to be, instead of "Xbox done L0l0l0l)Lsdokasdo sodM$ a muny hungy hoetdss l00l"

The truth of the matter was that this was supposed to bring a Steam environment to consoles. Disks suck, period. I almost feel ashamed using them. Downloading games before their release date and having it locked so that you can't play them until the release date is a common occurrence on PC, and if you don't have internet at all then there is almost no point to buy a console or PC. I rarely come off this strong but I am sick and tired of seeing Microsoft being driven into the ground by uneducated consumers who think that having to connect to the internet is the end of the world. There is no more DRM anymore, get over it. The Kinect is something that troubles be however. But, Microsoft is one of the few companies that is pushing to make the governments requests for data public, and it won't be very long before the public finds out if they were truly lying. A government can lie because it won't cost them money, a company focusing on selling the better product for more money is not going to outright lie, because when consumers find out they will be outraged (and rightfully so) and they will have their products boycotted. It's better to have two large contenders instead of one, if Sony wins the race (they most likely will) that's fine, but if they dominate expect to start paying more for less. With that all being said, as a gamer if I did have to select a console based on gaming capabilities alone I am more tempted at the Sony counterpart, mainly because I have 2 PS3's and have 0 first hand experience with the Xbox 360.
Last edited by Millz ; 07-24-2013 at 04:46 PM.
08-03-2013, 10:39 AM #8
xLew--
Former Staff
kinect shouldn't of ever been made mandatory, it freaks people out knowing something is always watching you. everyone loves privacy nowadays, and that's just laughing in their faces.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo