01-28-2011, 10:26 PM #1
fightinillini94
Climbing up the ladder
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Hey guys,
I just started getting into C++ and was wondering what you guys think is the best C++ IDE to use. I have been using CodeBlocks but was wondering if there is anything out there that is better. Also which one is best for making a gui?
01-30-2011, 05:02 AM #2
Rath
Today Will Be Different
Originally posted by fightinillini94 View Post
Hey guys,
I just started getting into C++ and was wondering what you guys think is the best C++ IDE to use. I have been using CodeBlocks but was wondering if there is anything out there that is better. Also which one is best for making a gui?

I was about to say Code::Blocks is one.. There are other ones out there... Like NetBeans.. I need to finish my "School Tools" kit.. But Code::Blocks and NetBeans are the only two I can think of off the top of my head.

The following 2 users say thank you to Rath for this useful post:

fightinillini94, skitterz
01-30-2011, 08:23 PM #3
3arc
Meow.
If you have a mac, Xcode, If you don't have a mac, run it in a VM and use Xcode.
01-30-2011, 10:40 PM #4
bmxdude9
Million Miles Of Fun!
Originally posted by 3arc View Post
If you have a mac, Xcode, If you don't have a mac, run it in a VM and use Xcode.

No no, unless you only want to be able to run it on systems that support xcode. Same with C sharp but heres the issue, even if you can run c# on really any system you STILL need to download a framework to use it, yes even on *nix you can... I think its called mono or something. My point is if you have to download something else to run an executable.... don't use it. I know thats just my opinion and values but still NOT a lot of people have systems that can run xcode.

Personally my favorite would have to be gcc with geany, IMO thats the fastest and best duo out there.

The following user thanked bmxdude9 for this useful post:

fightinillini94
01-30-2011, 10:55 PM #5
DevCPP by Bloodshed, its very light and portable. Plus very fast Happy. (Small download too).

The following user thanked TheUberFail for this useful post:

fightinillini94
01-30-2011, 11:53 PM #6
Ritztro
I am a Game Developer
There is Visual C++ and it is amazing!! But they will take your money if you are going to try and sell anything so just use gcc compiler with codeblocks.

The following user thanked Ritztro for this useful post:

fightinillini94
01-31-2011, 01:17 AM #7
Originally posted by Dutch View Post
There is Visual C++ and it is amazing!! But they will take your money if you are going to try and sell anything so just use gcc compiler with codeblocks.

Dev C++ uses GCC compiler, Btw did you check out my Ping Pong game? Im still very new to C++, but im proud of my PingPong Happy
01-31-2011, 01:42 AM #8
Ritztro
I am a Game Developer
Originally posted by TheUberFail View Post
Dev C++ uses GCC compiler, Btw did you check out my Ping Pong game? Im still very new to C++, but im proud of my PingPong Happy

Ya I saw it! Looked pretty sweet! I never tried win32 stuff but it looks good! I made a pikin sticks and now I am working on a 3d game..
02-01-2011, 05:27 PM #9
fightinillini94
Climbing up the ladder
Originally posted by Dutch View Post

Originally posted by TheUberFail View Post
DevCPP by Bloodshed, its very light and portable. Plus very fast Happy. (Small download too).

Originally posted by bmxdude9 View Post
No no, unless you only want to be able to run it on systems that support xcode. Same with C sharp but heres the issue, even if you can run c# on really any system you STILL need to download a framework to use it, yes even on *nix you can... I think its called mono or something. My point is if you have to download something else to run an executable.... don't use it. I know thats just my opinion and values but still NOT a lot of people have systems that can run xcode.

Personally my favorite would have to be gcc with geany, IMO thats the fastest and best duo out there.

Thanks for the replies. Im liking codeblocks the best with dev c++ being just behind it. Can any of you give any insight on making a gui?
02-01-2011, 06:41 PM #10
Originally posted by fightinillini94 View Post
Thanks for the replies. Im liking codeblocks the best with dev c++ being just behind it. Can any of you give any insight on making a gui?

In Console? Creating windows forms in C++ is very tricky, (for me) its quite a step from console to be honest. But if you do mean console, I have created a header that creates simple menu selection using arrow keys. do you want that?

The following user thanked TheUberFail for this useful post:

fightinillini94

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo