01-20-2016, 06:57 PM #1
Nico
Banned
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Would like to know how the majority of people learned or how they actually started programming. Geo

The following 3 users say thank you to Nico for this useful post:

N2Rate, ProfoundModz,
01-20-2016, 07:42 PM #2
I know majoirty of people are self taught, but use a lot of resources like videos, websites and others to learn.
01-20-2016, 09:52 PM #3
Winter
Purple God
Originally posted by Nicoh View Post
Would like to know how the majority of people learned or how they actually started programming. Geo

I actually wanted to make a RTM tool and I expanded off that since I enjoyed programming, here I am today... considered over qualified (a quote from my future year 12 IT teacher) to take IT at school when I have no idea how do use databases... lmao
01-20-2016, 10:20 PM #4
Sloth
Banned
Originally posted by Winter View Post
I actually wanted to make a RTM tool and I expanded off that since I enjoyed programming, here I am today... considered over qualified (a quote from my future year 12 IT teacher) to take IT at school when I have no idea how do use databases... lmao

Databases r ez m9

Would like to know how the majority of people learned or how they actually started programming. Geo

Self Taught VB.Net from 1-17

Self Taught C#, ASP.Net, HTML, CSS and JS 17 19 (Current age)

Learning C++ as well Happy
Last edited by Rath ; 01-21-2016 at 01:48 AM.
01-21-2016, 12:17 AM #5
Default Avatar
Oneup

When you say self taught, are we talking doing things the correct way as in industry standards or just garbage code? There is a pretty big difference between the two.

We get a lot of "self taught" people who apply for a job and their practices in how they go about things are horrible.
01-21-2016, 12:23 AM #6
TehMerkMods
I’m too L33T
Originally posted by Oneup View Post
When you say self taught, are we talking doing things the correct way as in industry standards or just garbage code? There is a pretty big difference between the two.

We get a lot of "self taught" people who apply for a job and their practices in how they go about things are horrible.

Okay my question is

If they result in the same output does it matter?

Let's say you did something to count upto a hundred

regardless how the task was completed the output was still 100 right? so in theory it doesn't matter how "garbage" the code is.
I mean for effiency sure I'd take the compact code over the long annoying shit but yeah
01-21-2016, 12:31 AM #7

I was taught by BLB, my hero, I learned how to make c# menus from him for mw3, and now I know like 18 languages, thanks BLB

The following user thanked John for this useful post:

Python
01-21-2016, 12:34 AM #8
Default Avatar
Oneup
Originally posted by TehMerkMods View Post
Okay my question is

regardless how the task was completed the output was still 100 right? so in theory it doesn't matter how "garbage" the code is.
I mean for effiency sure I'd take the compact code over the long annoying shit but yeah

It does matter. It makes a huge difference. If you ever have someone look at your code they will expect to be able to follow it.
I can't think of how many times I've had people on here ask me to look at their code and it's just god awful. Not to mention they either don't comment their code or the comments they have don't make any sense.
People don't name their control and their variables aren't using meaningful names. Those make a huge difference when going back to debug / updating. If you have to spend an hour trying to figure out what is going on in the code you wrote, you are doing some thing wrong.

It's even worse when you have to go through old code from a past employee and they did all of the above. You end up spending less time just re-writing it than going through the rats nest that they wrote.

If you count to 100 and it takes your code 1 minute to do it vs other code that handles it in 30 seconds, that's a huge difference.
01-21-2016, 03:14 AM #9
Jim Halpert
Bounty hunter

I learned C++ from a series of YouTube videos by Bucky (TheNewBoston).

Okay my question is

WRONG WRONG WRONG! There is a colossal difference between "garbage code" and "proper code". This is something you learn as you learn programming.
01-21-2016, 03:50 AM #10
Specter
Pro Memer
Mostly self-taught however books and other resources do help along the process. There are many things you can figure out on your own and play with, however there are a few things which are better to learn from other resources (not necessarily a teacher though). Certain things you almost certainly need a book/reference and can't figure out all by yourself such as instructions and what they do in assembly languages.

Okay my question is

Originally posted by Oneup View Post
It does matter. It makes a huge difference. If you ever have someone look at your code they will expect to be able to follow it.
I can't think of how many times I've had people on here ask me to look at their code and it's just god awful. Not to mention they either don't comment their code or the comments they have don't make any sense.
People don't name their control and their variables aren't using meaningful names. Those make a huge difference when going back to debug / updating. If you have to spend an hour trying to figure out what is going on in the code you wrote, you are doing some thing wrong.
It's even worse when you have to go through old code from a past employee and they did all of the above. You end up spending less time just re-writing it than going through the rats nest that they wrote.

If you count to 100 and it takes your code 1 minute to do it vs other code that handles it in 30 seconds, that's a huge difference.

Yep, not only does the code need to be efficient but even more-so well documented, clean, and easy to follow. To be honest I've noticed a lot (including myself a while back) create useless comments that state the how rather than what they're meant for, the why. Anyone else who may think this isn't true doesn't understand industry, they don't just want code that works they want code that can be maintained, and so should you as a programmer.

Say for example you wrote a program about a year ago and want to go back through it / work on it, you'll even probably ask yourself "what the hell did I do this for", that's why documentation and maintaining readable code is important, not just for others but also yourself.
Last edited by Specter ; 01-21-2016 at 03:52 AM.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo