Post: Slow Computer NO MATTER WHAT I DO PLEASE HELP [Detailed Thread of my computer]
04-08-2013, 02:18 PM #1
Contributed
I defeated!
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Ok so me and my brother have the same computer and his works faster then mine. The modem is downstairs and me and him are both upstairs. Hes still probably a little closer to the modem, but not by that much. Anyways, my computer doesn't seem to work no matter what I do. I uninstalled pretty much every program I have (skype,teamviewer,etc). I was wondering if any of you guys could help me. I recently upgrading my ram and it doesn't seem to make that much of a difference. I just really want to play this game without any lag or lag spikes. And watch youtube videos without lagging either. Also, I have even have a bit more ram then he does. We both have a zyxel wireless thing you plug in your computer for the connection. My connection is 4 bars. And we both have the same speedtest results (Mine are actually a bit better)

Here is my computer info.

You must login or register to view this content.

Here is the list of all my programs (Someone on here recently told me to install DiskMak, but it seemed to make it worst after I ran a scan) Is there any programs I can uninstall or is there programs I need?

Last edited by Contributed ; 04-08-2013 at 02:37 PM.

The following 2 users say thank you to Contributed for this useful post:

GRUEL, SeanVII
04-09-2013, 01:13 PM #20
IG88z
Pokemon Trainer
Nuke it(restore to factory settings)
04-09-2013, 01:31 PM #21
Eminem.
Vault dweller
Originally posted by scoootboy688 View Post
yes thats correct but i dont know if it works the same if its chrome, i guess it would but thats boosting the whole of chrome, giving it higher priority over other running processes, it should make some difference i dont see why not.. gl Smile

Try updating your operating system to windows 7.
04-09-2013, 02:06 PM #22
Originally posted by Contributed View Post
Ok so me and my brother have the same computer and his works faster then mine. The modem is downstairs and me and him are both upstairs. Hes still probably a little closer to the modem, but not by that much. Anyways, my computer doesn't seem to work no matter what I do. I uninstalled pretty much every program I have (skype,teamviewer,etc). I was wondering if any of you guys could help me. I recently upgrading my ram and it doesn't seem to make that much of a difference. I just really want to play this game without any lag or lag spikes. And watch youtube videos without lagging either. Also, I have even have a bit more ram then he does. We both have a zyxel wireless thing you plug in your computer for the connection. My connection is 4 bars. And we both have the same speedtest results (Mine are actually a bit better)

Here is my computer info.

Here is the list of all my programs (Someone on here recently told me to install DiskMak, but it seemed to make it worst after I ran a scan) Is there any programs I can uninstall or is there programs I need?

Firefox - CPU whore (use chrome)
Laggy youtube videos - it's because of your internet (need better)
Remove unwanted files - (pictures, movies ect)

Reinstall your OS if you feel that is necessary, but if it is hardware problems reinstalling your OS won't help much.
04-10-2013, 01:24 PM #23
Contributed
I defeated!
Originally posted by NGU
Run a virus scan to see if malware is present on your computer, that can slow it down. Also run CCleaner, it will remove temporary/broken files. I run CCleaner once a month and it usually removes about 10gb of useless crap every time. Large filespace can also slow it down. You can also defragment your disc if you want.

Originally posted by Clutch
This isn't what you'll want to hear but your hardware is the issue. It's really outdated - both the CPU and the video card, especially the latter.

Your only option is to build/buy a new PC. If you upgrade on such old hardware you'll be bottle-necked pretty fast.

If you're open to building a PC and have a budget, however small, let me know Smile

Originally posted by scoootboy688 View Post
Hmm well im not too advanced but i do try to clean my pc and keep it upto good standards, A very good program i recently got is AVG Pc Tuneup 2013, i was recently using 2011 never knowing there was a 2013 one, this does automatic maintenance. Thats just a program i recommend getting Smile, Also i see someone recommended CCleaner, yes thats a good program, cleans up unwanted things and fixes registry errors, a more advanced program a bit like this i would recommend is Privazer. Anyway, off of the programs part of it, from what it seems, knowing that you and your brother have the same pc, maybe some of your drivers need updated, i guess his would too if yours did but oh well. Something could have went wrong with the drivers or anything, so go into the windows device manager, check for updates, look for any problems etc. Whilst running your game to achieve full potential theres many tutorials on the internet but you can try running on lower in game graphics settings such as reducing the quality. Theres programs such as Razer Game Booster that can stop background / unneeded services running, and have more reserved space for your game, you can always give it a higher priority by using task manager, right clicking on your game(whilst the game is running otherwise you wont see it) then clicking go to process then right clicking the process and setting its priority to 'high' Also whilst task manager is running and you want to play your game, End any processes that arent needed such as skype may be running in the background, or any other programs, make sure to close them Smile
I dont know much else to say this was all just off the top of my head and i was typing pretty quick so forgive me if i missed anything out or there was any errors, if you wanna talk more about things you can skype me if you like at mw2_scott Smile gl with your pc i hope you sort it out Happy

Originally posted by Prince
I know this might be a bit of a bind, but try moving YOUR computer into the place where HIS computer is supposed to be, if you see improvements then you have got something that is causing problems...

I used to play on my computer and have a light on, but it was a very high power usage and affected my connection (wireless) COMPLETELY, I couldn't get on anything not even Google, so we don't use it anymore.

I also got my dad to switch out all the phones in the house so we use wired phones only and my download speed increased by around 80kb/s...

Microwaves and televisions are also another problem, if you use a wireless remote on your tele it (highly doubt it..) could cause some issues and the microwave will too..

They are physical problems that could come into attack, now for the software side of things:

If you want to clean your computer out very easily, then use 'CCleaner' ONLY. Unless you have paid for a PCTuneup from one of these anti-virus companies, i'd recommend CCleaner as it is fast and effective as 1 button cleans your computer instead of having to configure anything over and over...

Check if you're downloading, try to keep your programs / processes closed unless they are completely neccessary (eg: Antivirus, skype and maybe steam) even though you may think you need some programs open constantly, be strict with what you have running in the background as you will always experience internet speed differences (especially if you keep steam running.. lol).

Hardware:

You're not going to break anything if you pop the hood, so do it. But first, shut down your computer (open this thread on your iphone / PS3 / get a laptop going or something to read this), unplug ALL cables going into the tower, move the tower onto a desk so it's not on carpet / fabric and then press and hold the power button for atleast 10seconds, you should see it turn on and then off and keep the power button held down until you can't hear that little screeching noice coming from the Harddrive / elsewhere in your computer.

Once you've done this, open it up. If you can see areas around the motherboard / GPU / CPU area that are BLACK, then get a little bit of cloth in one hand, put your other hand on the metal part of the case so you're grounded to the case and then see if you can wipe it off, if it doesn't come off then you've got an electrical problem with your computer and you need to go and get it checked fully at the place of purchase (eg: PCWorld / Walmart) because you've got something burned out. Also check all the wiring, I know it's confusing but you simple gotta push (firm, but not rough) each cable in with no excessive force to see if any are slightly loose (also a long shot, but worth testing), finally check your WIRELESS card for blackspots / meltspots or if you have an external wireless adapter then remove it, and install another one to see if that solves the problem

I've gone through quite a lot there, I hope I have helped you out mate. Smile

Originally posted by Alicks View Post
If you made/have restore disks, do a factory restore, it'll be how it was when you first bought it... I do it to mine every year, just back up the things you want to keep.

If you don't want to do this then give CCleaner a try.. Run the Cleaner and Registry cleaner it might help.

What does this mean? You must login or register to view this content. Says it bottom right corner then gives me a bunch of ports.
04-10-2013, 01:32 PM #24
Prince Perciful
In / Out Shake It All About...
What does this mean? You must login or register to view this content. Says it bottom right corner then gives me a bunch of ports.

Plug your external wireless card / adapter into a USB 2.0 slot and it should start running perfectly fine... That might be the root problem..
04-10-2013, 01:35 PM #25
Contributed
I defeated!
Originally posted by Prince
Plug your external wireless card / adapter into a USB 2.0 slot and it should start running perfectly fine... That might be the root problem..

Where is a 2.0 slot located at?
04-10-2013, 01:59 PM #26
Where is a 2.0 slot located at?

I (used to) get the same message when I connected USB 3 devices into USB 2 ports. You're having the same issue only you're plugging a USB 2 device into a USB 1 port.
04-10-2013, 02:38 PM #27
Contributed
I defeated!
Originally posted by Clutch
I (used to) get the same message when I connected USB 3 devices into USB 2 ports. You're having the same issue only you're plugging a USB 2 device into a USB 1 port.

I have like 4 ports on the front of my tower. Idk which one is which.
04-10-2013, 04:27 PM #28
Specter
Pro Memer
I have like 4 ports on the front of my tower. Idk which one is which.

On my laptop the USB 2.0 ports are on the right, I don't know if this helps any. Look for a different shape of the USB port, the 2.0 port should look something similar to this:

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo