07-17-2012, 12:55 PM #1
Ghost1990
12-28-2012
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Back story if you're interested So, I had a custom desktop built for me two years ago, nothing to much just enough to get me by. Well after 3 months or less, the computer stopped booting... Well I had a laptop, so I just used that for a year, finally got bored with my laptop so I took the desktop back to the place that built it, they told me the processor came loose, no biggie. Well the desktop worked for another month before it stopped booting... FML, so I took it to another PC shop, they told me the original company sold me a PSU that was under powering my system and took out my MB... Thanks first company... Oh, but the second company trashed my case... lose lose situation...So, now I'm looking to build another desktop, by myself.
Case: You must login or register to view this content.
You must login or register to view this content.
Motherboard: You must login or register to view this content.
Processor: You must login or register to view this content.
Ram: You must login or register to view this content.
Video card: You must login or register to view this content. I already have this set up in crossfire, so I won't be buying this...
I'm looking for something to put into the PCI slots, I found a USB adapter card, but I already have 8 on the back, so I don't think I'll need that. And I found a You must login or register to view this content., but the MB has a on board 8 channel, so I don't think I'll need this either. So I'm open to ideas.

Front panel: 5 - 5.25", 2 - 3.5"
What I already have:
5.25" - (2) You must login or register to view this content. I may opt to go to 2 You must login or register to view this content. if I can find a decent replacement for one of the 5.25 front bay slots.
5.25" - Fan controller: You must login or register to view this content.
3.5" - AIO Card reader/ writer: No link available
What I'm looking to buy:
5.25" - Hot swap rack: You must login or register to view this content.
5.25" - Media center: You must login or register to view this content.
Than for the additional 3.5" slot I'm currently looking to buy a cover, and make my own rocker toggle panel, just because the only ones I've seen allow for 3 rocker switches, I'm thinking I'll need 4 (to control the various LEDs, inside case, right side of case, front bottom, and bottom) so make my own.
I know some of the Intel freaks will tell me to just buy a i7, but I don't feel like spending and extra $100 for the i7-3820, and it's only 6 core, not 8.
So, any suggestions for the open PCI slots, or possibly a 5.25" bay device? I thought about a dual bay fan controller, but I don't know.
Last edited by Ghost1990 ; 07-17-2012 at 07:00 PM.
07-17-2012, 09:52 PM #2
geralds
Little One
seems densent maybe a drive upgrade. If you computers dont have a hdmi slot might be a good upgrade.
07-18-2012, 09:26 AM #3
Ghost1990
12-28-2012
Originally posted by geralds View Post
seems densent maybe a drive upgrade. If you computers dont have a hdmi slot might be a good upgrade.

Well I have 4 hard drives, 2 1.5TB, 1 TB and 1 500GB. and I think I have a few other miscellaneous hard drives not worth mentioning laying around. And my video cards both have (1) HDMI slot per card, plus they each have (2) DVI slots, so a total of 2 HDMI, 4 DVI slots. And my monitors don't have a HDMI output, only DVI, so it works out pretty good. than I run a HDMI to my TV if I want to use that as well, I usually keep that turned off. Surprisingly the cards run rather cool while pushing 2 20" monitors and a 42" flat screen
07-18-2012, 11:01 AM #4
Don't use any Brick and Mortar computer shop, they all rip you off.

That build is fairly shit to put it bluntly, crap CPU, and very crap GPU.

Do you have a budget?
07-18-2012, 04:25 PM #5
Ghost1990
12-28-2012
Originally posted by FlyingIrishMan View Post
Don't use any Brick and Mortar computer shop, they all rip you off.

That build is fairly shit to put it bluntly, crap CPU, and very crap GPU.

Do you have a budget?

The computer shop I just was very well known, been around for years, figured I was safe. I know the GPUs not very good, I bought them with the first build, so I figured I'd be able to save some money by just reusing those, and the reviews I've read were fairly positive about the CPU, I mean yeah, the i7 out performed it a few times, but it costs more... why do you say it's shit?
07-18-2012, 04:33 PM #6
Originally posted by Ghost1990 View Post
The computer shop I just was very well known, been around for years, figured I was safe. I know the GPUs not very good, I bought them with the first build, so I figured I'd be able to save some money by just reusing those, and the reviews I've read were fairly positive about the CPU, I mean yeah, the i7 out performed it a few times, but it costs more... why do you say it's shit?

Because the CPU isn't good, go for a i3 2120 for something cheaper and better than that one, or if you have more money to spend an i5 2500k.
I wouldn't bother reusing that GPU. It won't play much at all. Get a new one.
And why on earth are you spending that much on RAM... get 8GB of RAM for 50$ and that will do you.
07-18-2012, 05:52 PM #7
Ghost1990
12-28-2012
Because the CPU isn't good, go for a i3 2120 for something cheaper and better than that one, or if you have more money to spend an i5 2500k.
I wouldn't bother reusing that GPU. It won't play much at all. Get a new one.
And why on earth are you spending that much on RAM... get 8GB of RAM for 50$ and that will do you.

As far as the GPUs go, it played MW2 just fine running my two monitors when I was able to and Windows media player using a full screen visual battery - random display on my two monitors and my TV, I don't know, I think I'll just use it until I get enough $ to buy another set in crossfire. And I currently have 8GB of RAM installed in my burnt up board, and I wanted something more, I'm also looking at 16GB for $120.
07-18-2012, 06:13 PM #8
As far as the GPUs go, it played MW2 just fine running my two monitors when I was able to and Windows media player using a full screen visual battery - random display on my two monitors and my TV, I don't know, I think I'll just use it until I get enough $ to buy another set in crossfire. And I currently have 8GB of RAM installed in my burnt up board, and I wanted something more, I'm also looking at 16GB for $120.

You're not gonna use 16GB of RAM. Put the money into a new GPU.
And I don't recommend crossfire. I'll always recommend one higher end card over two low end ones.
07-18-2012, 06:28 PM #9
Ghost1990
12-28-2012
one higher end card over two low end ones.

OK, why? I just looked into a 6970HD and the 6990HD. Now while the 6990HD is obviously the superior card between the two, and twice the price. the 6990 only has 1 DVI and 1 HDMI output, while the 6970 has 2 DVI, and 1 HDMI, better suiting my needs, unless I was to buy 2 of the 6990s, but that's a hell of a lot of GPUs
07-18-2012, 06:36 PM #10
OK, why? I just looked into a 6970HD and the 6990HD. Now while the 6990HD is obviously the superior card between the two, and twice the price. the 6990 only has 1 DVI and 1 HDMI output, while the 6970 has 2 DVI, and 1 HDMI, better suiting my needs, unless I was to buy 2 of the 6990s, but that's a hell of a lot of GPUs

I wouldn't look into either of those cards now, they're last generation.
7850, 7870, 7950, GTX670 is what you want to be looking at.

The problem with crossfiring is that you have to factor in extra price for the motherboard, bigger case, better cooling, much better PSU.
The cards get a lot hotter whilst in crossfire, and use a lot more power. You can get one latest gen card for the same price as two older ones and that new card will run quieter, cooler, and use less power whilst having the same power.

The following user thanked FlyingIrishMan for this useful post:

Ghost1990

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo