07-17-2012, 12:55 PM #1
Ghost1990
12-28-2012
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Back story if you're interested So, I had a custom desktop built for me two years ago, nothing to much just enough to get me by. Well after 3 months or less, the computer stopped booting... Well I had a laptop, so I just used that for a year, finally got bored with my laptop so I took the desktop back to the place that built it, they told me the processor came loose, no biggie. Well the desktop worked for another month before it stopped booting... FML, so I took it to another PC shop, they told me the original company sold me a PSU that was under powering my system and took out my MB... Thanks first company... Oh, but the second company trashed my case... lose lose situation...So, now I'm looking to build another desktop, by myself.
Case: You must login or register to view this content.
You must login or register to view this content.
Motherboard: You must login or register to view this content.
Processor: You must login or register to view this content.
Ram: You must login or register to view this content.
Video card: You must login or register to view this content. I already have this set up in crossfire, so I won't be buying this...
I'm looking for something to put into the PCI slots, I found a USB adapter card, but I already have 8 on the back, so I don't think I'll need that. And I found a You must login or register to view this content., but the MB has a on board 8 channel, so I don't think I'll need this either. So I'm open to ideas.

Front panel: 5 - 5.25", 2 - 3.5"
What I already have:
5.25" - (2) You must login or register to view this content. I may opt to go to 2 You must login or register to view this content. if I can find a decent replacement for one of the 5.25 front bay slots.
5.25" - Fan controller: You must login or register to view this content.
3.5" - AIO Card reader/ writer: No link available
What I'm looking to buy:
5.25" - Hot swap rack: You must login or register to view this content.
5.25" - Media center: You must login or register to view this content.
Than for the additional 3.5" slot I'm currently looking to buy a cover, and make my own rocker toggle panel, just because the only ones I've seen allow for 3 rocker switches, I'm thinking I'll need 4 (to control the various LEDs, inside case, right side of case, front bottom, and bottom) so make my own.
I know some of the Intel freaks will tell me to just buy a i7, but I don't feel like spending and extra $100 for the i7-3820, and it's only 6 core, not 8.
So, any suggestions for the open PCI slots, or possibly a 5.25" bay device? I thought about a dual bay fan controller, but I don't know.
Last edited by Ghost1990 ; 07-17-2012 at 07:00 PM.
07-18-2012, 06:59 PM #11
Ghost1990
12-28-2012
Originally posted by FlyingIrishMan View Post
I wouldn't look into either of those cards now, they're last generation.
7850, 7870, 7950, GTX670 is what you want to be looking at.

The problem with crossfiring is that you have to factor in extra price for the motherboard, bigger case, better cooling, much better PSU.
The cards get a lot hotter whilst in crossfire, and use a lot more power. You can get one latest gen card for the same price as two older ones and that new card will run quieter, cooler, and use less power whilst having the same power.

Well, my trashed case and the one I'm wanting are both full sized cases. And the PSU I have is a 1200 or 1250 Watt, so I'm thinking I'm good there. And yeah I know they run hotter, but circulation won't be an issue. And both board are crossfire ready, But
Shit, I didn't even know there was a 7 series, wow, well I just looked into the 7970HD GHz Edition, and it says it controls up to 6 displays, but I only see 1 DVI, and 1 HDMI output, I'm confused as to how that works, well, I'm thinking I have a little research to do.
07-19-2012, 05:27 AM #12
Toke
PC Master Race
what cpu do you have and yes it sounds great, also the nzxt touch screen controllers are junk i'd not worry if u want a quiet good computer geta good case such as the corsair obsidion 550d it might be expensive but its the best silent pc case also do you need 32gb of ram? get 16gb thats enough then you can get a good case like the 550d.

The following user thanked Toke for this useful post:

Ghost1990
07-19-2012, 11:44 PM #13
Ghost1990
12-28-2012
Originally posted by ToKiiNz View Post
what cpu do you have and yes it sounds great, also the nzxt touch screen controllers are junk i'd not worry if u want a quiet good computer geta good case such as the corsair obsidion 550d it might be expensive but its the best silent pc case also do you need 32gb of ram? get 16gb thats enough then you can get a good case like the 550d.

I just looked into the case you suggested, it's a little plain for my tastes, I'm looking for something a little more "abstract" than just the usual black box case, if that makes sense, thanks for the suggestion. The NZXT controller, that was picked out for me by the first computer shop I went to, I probably wouldn't have picked it out for myself, but it seems to be OK, and it works for me, I think I'll use it until it burns up. And right now I have a AMD Athlon II X4 processor... it's OK, but since I need a new board, I figured I'd get a new CPU. And I don't think I need 32GB of RAM, but the way I look at it, the board supports 32GB, so why not utilize it.
07-19-2012, 11:57 PM #14
Toke
PC Master Race
ok get a FX 8150 and the plain case will keep your shit super cool and dead silent and 16gb of

ram is good, a good set of 32gb will cost a arm and a leg, also upgrade your gfx card maybe a solid 7850, those are my educated opinions and dont forget a good power supply a corsair 850 is u get the 8150 and a 7850, ps they both over clock great so you want a nice power supply and your pc is only as good as the power it has
07-20-2012, 12:44 AM #15
Ghost1990
12-28-2012
ok get a FX 8150 and the plain case will keep your shit super cool and dead silent and 16gb of
ram is good, a good set of 32gb will cost a arm and a leg, also upgrade your gfx card maybe a solid 7850, those are my educated opinions and dont forget a good power supply a corsair 850 is u get the 8150 and a 7850, ps they both over clock great so you want a nice power supply and your pc is only as good as the power it has

Yeah, I'm not really to worried about sound, but I have looked into a 7xxx series card as per irishs oppinion, and I have a decent PSU, I have a Corsair 1200W or 1250W. But thanks for the input on the CPU
07-20-2012, 01:51 AM #16
Toke
PC Master Race
o then get a corsair 400r theyre good and you like non plain design
07-20-2012, 02:02 AM #17
-DirtySeX-
< ^ > < ^ >
I am not here to suggest items for your PC. But I am here to tell you to use New Egg not local shops. THey will screw you in anyway possible to make a quick buck.

The following user thanked -DirtySeX- for this useful post:

Ghost1990
07-20-2012, 02:13 AM #18
Originally posted by Ghost1990 View Post
I just looked into the case you suggested, it's a little plain for my tastes, I'm looking for something a little more "abstract" than just the usual black box case, if that makes sense, thanks for the suggestion. The NZXT controller, that was picked out for me by the first computer shop I went to, I probably wouldn't have picked it out for myself, but it seems to be OK, and it works for me, I think I'll use it until it burns up. And right now I have a AMD Athlon II X4 processor... it's OK, but since I need a new board, I figured I'd get a new CPU. And I don't think I need 32GB of RAM, but the way I look at it, the board supports 32GB, so why not utilize it.

Stupidest thing I ever heard. Look, trying not to be rude here. But you obviously know very little about computer hardware. Listen to people who do. 8GB of RAM is all anybody needs, and don't get any AMD CPU. 550w is all you'll need for a PSU if you don't plan on crossfiring.
07-20-2012, 02:36 AM #19
Ghost1990
12-28-2012
o then get a corsair 400r theyre good and you like non plain design

I have checked into Corsair cases, because you seem fond of them. But they lack the styling I'm looking for, and a panel to cover the drive bays. I don't know, just my opinion
Originally posted by Rob
I am not here to suggest items for your PC. But I am here to tell you to use New Egg not local shops. THey will screw you in anyway possible to make a quick buck.

Yeah, I've noticed that so far, I got screwed by the same company twice, and property damage by the other. That's why this next build will be done in my living room.

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 PM ----------

Originally posted by FlyingIrishMan View Post
Stupidest thing I ever heard. Look, trying not to be rude here. But you obviously know very little about computer hardware. Listen to people who do. 8GB of RAM is all anybody needs, and don't get any AMD CPU. 550w is all you'll need for a PSU if you don't plan on crossfiring.

Hey, there's no need to be an ass, you could have easily rephrased that and gotten your point across. And I want more than 8GB of RAM because I often use all 8GB currently at my disposal, and it's annoying, plus I stated earlier that I'm also exploring 16GB RAM options. I know your an Intel nut and that's fine, but all of my computers have had AMD, and I've had 0 problems with the processors, so why change now. And as far as the PSU, the video card I was looking at requires 500W, so that's only leaving me 50W to work with, plus I already have the 1200W or 1250W PSU.
Last edited by Ghost1990 ; 07-20-2012 at 02:18 AM. Reason: Spelling error

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo