02-26-2015, 05:39 AM #1
Riften
< ^ > < ^ >
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Hi, I have a computer that I want to upgrade. It's an old computer so it has bad specs.

CPU: i3-2125 @ 3.3 GHz
GPU: GeForce 8400 GS (replacing)
RAM: 4GB (Upgrading to 8GB)
PSU: 250w
(If you need more info just ask)

Now i'm not into PC gaming, I play on console (yes i know PCMR, whatever) and I was thinking about upgrading my video card to a XFX R7 250 graphics card (65w). I just want to play Fallout, & Skyrim on high-ultra settings if possible. I'm not going to be playing on it much as I do on console. I've been browsing the internet and I saw that that it is recommended to use a 400w PSU but people use a 250w even a 220w and it works fine. I don't have enough money to build a whole new PC so I have to work with what I got. I was wondering if there is another GPU that you recommend that is low profile. i have a tight budget of $100. If you could direct me to something better i'd really appreciate it.

Link to the GPU: You must login or register to view this content.
02-26-2015, 01:01 PM #2
Rawr
Can’t trickshot me!
With a R7 250, you're going to be playing those games with lowest settings, struggling for 30 FPS. You're going to need a new PSU if you want to use a GPU that can handle those games with the settings you asked for. Save up another ~$150.
Last edited by Rawr ; 02-26-2015 at 01:07 PM.
02-27-2015, 06:04 AM #3
Cryptic
Former Staff | Content Manager
Originally posted by Riften View Post
Hi, I have a computer that I want to upgrade. It's an old computer so it has bad specs.

Now i'm not into PC gaming, I play on console (yes i know PCMR, whatever) and I was thinking about upgrading my video card to a XFX R7 250 graphics card (65w). I just want to play Fallout, & Skyrim on high-ultra settings if possible. I'm not going to be playing on it much as I do on console. I've been browsing the internet and I saw that that it is recommended to use a 400w PSU but people use a 250w even a 220w and it works fine. I don't have enough money to build a whole new PC so I have to work with what I got. I was wondering if there is another GPU that you recommend that is low profile. i have a tight budget of $100. If you could direct me to something better i'd really appreciate it.

That GPU won't cut it. Why only play 2 games on PC? That's a waste of a good PC.

I'd recommend at least a r9 270x.
02-27-2015, 06:06 AM #4
Riften
< ^ > < ^ >
Originally posted by Cryptic
That GPU won't cut it. Why only play 2 games on PC? That's a waste of a good PC.

I'd recommend at least a r9 270x.

i hardly play games on it. its not really for heavy gaming. just something to have some fun on. i dont plan on playing newer games. i like games like fallout and skyrim only. and my budget is $100 so something that wont make me get liek 10 fps on those games
02-27-2015, 07:47 AM #5
Default Avatar
Oneup
i hardly play games on it. its not really for heavy gaming. just something to have some fun on. i dont plan on playing newer games. i like games like fallout and skyrim only. and my budget is $100 so something that wont make me get liek 10 fps on those games

Well you don't need 8GB's of ram in that case. You can use that money towards a better card and power supply.
02-27-2015, 09:55 AM #6
Originally posted by 1UP View Post
Well you don't need 8GB's of ram in that case. You can use that money towards a better card and power supply.

^ Yup, 6 would be the sweet spot if you were going to upgrade though.

As already mentioned you'll need to upgrade that PSU before you make any other component upgrades.

If I were in your situation, I'd save for a little while and spend the extra and get parts that will do the job well and last.
02-27-2015, 12:57 PM #7
Riften
< ^ > < ^ >
Thanks everyone
02-27-2015, 12:59 PM #8
Riften
< ^ > < ^ >
Originally posted by SysLogs View Post
^ Yup, 6 would be the sweet spot if you were going to upgrade though.

As already mentioned you'll need to upgrade that PSU before you make any other component upgrades.

If I were in your situation, I'd save for a little while and spend the extra and get parts that will do the job well and last.

if i were to get a new power supply do i need a new motherboard?
02-27-2015, 02:22 PM #9
Default Avatar
Oneup
if i were to get a new power supply do i need a new motherboard?

No you would not.
02-27-2015, 04:30 PM #10
Toke
PC Master Race
Hi, I have a computer that I want to upgrade. It's an old computer so it has bad specs.

Gtx 750ti 2gb should work good and be about $100

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo