01-05-2016, 07:34 PM #1
Groovy
Team Xbox
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Before I start, I want to point out that going with the APU in the first place was a stupid idea and that I'm more that aware of this now.

My current setup:
CPU: You must login or register to view this content.
CPU Cooler: You must login or register to view this content.
Motherboard: You must login or register to view this content.
Memory: You must login or register to view this content.
Memory: You must login or register to view this content.
Storage: You must login or register to view this content.
Storage: You must login or register to view this content.
Video Card: You must login or register to view this content.
Power Supply: You must login or register to view this content.

Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-01-05 19:29 GMT+0000

Pretty much, by the end of this week I'm going to order a new CPU and Motherboard, which hopefully will drastically improve my gaming performance on games like Arma. Can you guys please recommend what CPU you think I should get, hopefully replacing as little as possible.

ie. I would prefer not to buy a i7-5820k due to the fact I don't want to replace the RAM unless required.

01-08-2016, 07:19 AM #11
Groovy
Team Xbox
Originally posted by A
pretty good parts even though i prefer gigabyte

Gigabyte it is! Smile
In going to buy everything today by 11am so that it comes tonight.

edit: i assume this is ok? Its the only one on Amazon with same-day delivery that was £100+ so i'm assuming its good Happy
You must login or register to view this content.
Last edited by Groovy ; 01-08-2016 at 08:44 AM.
01-08-2016, 07:22 AM #12
Groovy
Team Xbox
Originally posted by Xaiyeon View Post
I use this CPU cooler... It's cheap and works great.
I'm sure your low profile RAM will fit too. Mine did.

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan

My brother had one of those and said it required building and he's has issues with it.
01-08-2016, 07:36 AM #13
Originally posted by Groovy View Post
My brother had one of those and said it required building and he's has issues with it.

Hmm... I found it quite easy since the manual is easy to follow (pictures). It depends on you though. Personally it took me maybe 5 minutes to install it along with thermal compound on the cpu. Good luck!

Edit: Other than that, your choice is also good already.
Last edited by Xaiyeon ; 01-08-2016 at 07:38 AM.
01-08-2016, 11:48 AM #14
Toke
PC Master Race

Hardest part is lining the piece of shit up with the plate. I had to recruit someone with smaller hands aka my neighbor
01-08-2016, 12:55 PM #15
Groovy
Team Xbox
Originally posted by A
Hardest part is lining the piece of shit up with the plate. I had to recruit someone with smaller hands aka my neighbor

EDIT: Do you think I should just future proof and go for an i7 now? I would rather buy this now then spend an extra £250+ in 1-3 years time on another cpu... thoughts?

Shouldn't be too bad then.
What do you reckon to the other motherboard? I've been busy at work so I haven't had chance to order it yet.
Last edited by Groovy ; 01-08-2016 at 04:49 PM.
01-08-2016, 08:39 PM #16
Toke
PC Master Race
EDIT: Do you think I should just future proof and go for an i7 now? I would rather buy this now then spend an extra £250+ in 1-3 years time on another cpu... thoughts?

Shouldn't be too bad then.
What do you reckon to the other motherboard? I've been busy at work so I haven't had chance to order it yet.

a i7 isnt really futureproof compared to a i5 maybe a slow i3 or pentium
01-09-2016, 12:09 AM #17
Rawr
Can’t trickshot me!
Originally posted by Oneup View Post
No such thing as extra sata ports, those can and will be used.

That's a very bold claim.

Can they all be used? Yes.
Will all of them be used? It depends case-by-case.

An optical drive, SSD, and HDD will take up 3 ports. Some people don't even use optical drives anymore, so that's 2 ports. Some people don't have SSDs, so maybe only 1 port will be used. Not everyone has a RAID5 setup going on inside their case.

I have 6 SATA ports and I only use 4 of them. Will all 6 of my SATA ports ever be occupied? 99% not.
Last edited by Rawr ; 01-09-2016 at 12:17 AM.
01-09-2016, 12:48 AM #18
Default Avatar
Oneup
Originally posted by Rawr View Post
That's a very bold claim.

Can they all be used? Yes.
Will all of them be used? It depends case-by-case.

An optical drive, SSD, and HDD will take up 3 ports. Some people don't even use optical drives anymore, so that's 2 ports. Some people don't have SSDs, so maybe only 1 port will be used. Not everyone has a RAID5 setup going on inside their case.

I have 6 SATA ports and I only use 4 of them. Will all 6 of my SATA ports ever be occupied? 99% not.

Swing and a miss.
01-09-2016, 09:23 AM #19
Groovy
Team Xbox
Originally posted by Oneup View Post
Swing and a miss.

What do you think, get an i5 or go straight for an i7?

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo