05-26-2011, 10:55 PM #1
CLM
[b]They say sorry Mr. West is..[/b]
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Sony is Working on PlayStation 4
Source: You must login or register to view this content. // By: ClutchLikeMelo // May 26, 2011

Sony has just confirmed that a "future platform" is in the works to follow the PlayStation 3!

Sony's executive vice president and chief financial officer Masaru Kato made the announcement today in conference call to investors. When asked to explain increased research and development costs, he answered, saying:

Originally posted by another user
"For the home equipment the PS3 still has a product life," he said, "but this is a platform business, so for the future platform - when we'll be introducing what product I cannot discuss that - but our development work is already under way, so the costs are incurred there."

Kato's comments come at exact opposites with Sony Computer Entertainment boss, Kaz Hirai's. Back in March, Hirai said, "a near-future PS4 or next-generation home console is not something that we are even debating now." Hirai then went on to stress that Sony wasn't "even at the half-way point" in PS3's lauded 10-year plan.

The current console cycle is definitely longer than previous ones, but with the Wii 2 (aka Project Cafe) expected to be unveiled soon at E3, and rumors of top-tier publishing partners receiving prototype dev kits of Microsoft's new Xbox, that may just be the end of this cycle, and the beginning of the next gen consoles!
Last edited by CLM ; 05-26-2011 at 11:03 PM.

The following 12 users say thank you to CLM for this useful post:

Brentdevent, MikeOxBig, GolfWang, Jorgos Nomikos, Moreton, Pauly, Sicarius, SYNKz, TEXAS24_ReStEr, TurboD16, xShadow
05-28-2011, 11:32 PM #56
Thanks for the info. Winky Winky
05-30-2011, 02:07 AM #57
Bugz
Banned
i wonder what the gameplay will be like xD
05-30-2011, 01:12 PM #58
Wonder what it's gonna have on it thats better, I didnt think you could get a better console than a PS3/Xbox I think the only thing different it's going to have is better graphics
05-30-2011, 01:24 PM #59
leeneedshelp
Bounty hunter
there going to end up rushing it i bet
05-30-2011, 01:28 PM #60
Still probs ages away. Tere's no point in Sony 'upgrading' their console right now as the PS3 pretty much uses all the new developments in technology atm anyway.
05-30-2011, 01:49 PM #61
VHS
Has been a while
Sony better not make the same mistake with pricing as they did with the PS3... PS4 better be under $400
05-30-2011, 02:07 PM #62
joshblake8808
Super Premium
i hope we dont have to pay for online
05-30-2011, 02:38 PM #63
They weren't debating making a new one, they already had there minds made up.
05-30-2011, 03:04 PM #64
schaffinosx
To and fro the island.
I'm as excited about a new console as the next guy, but I'm pleased that Sony is sticking to their word and holding off on the release of such a console until the PlayStation 3 has been out longer. The PlayStation 3 released several years ago at $600, so I can only imagine what the price for the new console will be when it finally releases. At this point in the game, I'm just not ready to invest another several hundred dollars in a console.

I'm glad to hear the news, but I hope Sony keeps their word in the years to come and holds off on a release.

Copyright © 2024, NextGenUpdate.
All Rights Reserved.

Gray NextGenUpdate Logo